Menu

S/O of my visit NYC thread....what do you think?

Well all three schools when I bought plane tickets in NYC are closed between Winter Intersession and Spring Session.  My son figured we'd go anyway but just explore the city once again.

HOWEVER it looks like two other of his schools , Penn State (a target) and Villanova (a bit of a safety) are both open! We'd be flying into Philly since our family lives there, and I did get a cancell-able hotel in NYC. 🙂

So, what do you think?  We can just change plans!  Instead of touring the three in NYC we can tour Penn State and Villanova (and...he may have acceptances at PennState by then since it's rolling admissions.) 🙂

I could call the airline and see if they will give us a credit but that's doubtful 🙂

About all you can do for the 3 schools in NYC when they are closed is to check out the neighborhoods they are in and look at the buildings.  Penn State and Villanova sound like a better way to spend your time and he can visit his great grandmother in NJ from Philly. There are always lots of things to see in NYC if you have spare time for tourist activities.  And Philly has some historical things to see, although when I was there I didn't see them...

• Like 1

Great, when you check out Villanova, I will be anxious to hear your opinion.  I heard the food is the best at Villanova, however, the mom did not want to send her kid there because freshmans live *In* the cafeteria.  So, find out if they still board freshmans in the cafeteria.

Are you visiting Penn State at State College, PA or is there a satellite campus around Philly you are going to visit?  

So exciting!!

• Haha 1

I grew up in Philly so I am familiar what type of school Villanova is.  I was very surprised to hear this from the mom.  She got the info from a current student.  My SIL went to St. Joseph's in Philly area and in her freshman year she had a cot in the cafeteria.  My jaw dropped when the mom told me that about Villanova because it is a selective school.  I really thought they stopped putting students in the cafeteria many years ago.

Of course, that was like 4-5 yrs ago.  My other homeschooling friend has a niece at another Pennsylvania school, when the school excepted too many freshman girls, the school did not have room for them (the niece) ended up in the boys dorm.  That is a small school.

• Confused 1