Menu

I have no ideas... what are you getting 17-18 yr old sons?

theelfqueen

Doing okay on 13 yr old. Have ideas for 23 yr old and DIL ... but 17 year old, I got nothing...

Our family culture really does not consider gift cards or cash to be gifts.... definitely not from parents.

Tell me about gifts your 17-18 ish year old is getting ( even if they're hobby/interest specific because they might spark ideas! Although 17 year old has given up his 2 biggest hobbies in the last few months and his current hobby is girlfriend) please. 

This year I’ve got nothing so far for 18 year old but last year: new computer keyboard & gaming headset, card games, clothes, stuff for college, favorite “fancy” snacks.

I know you said no gift cards but since he’s got a girlfriend how about movie passes? Ours does a set with tickets and popcorn/ drinks.

T shirt from favorite fandom/ activity.

drone

But I’d ask, especially if you don’t do cash/ cards as gifts, cause 17 year olds are picky & why buy them stuff they don’t want

Ours has requested Legos, which surprised us, but he will get a few. 

He's also getting a new fancy hat (he loves to wear hats), gaming headset, a katana he's been wanting, shirts from his favorite oddball t-shirt place (TeeTurtle), and college gear for the college he'll attend in the fall. Possible other small random things for his stocking; I don't think we've finished that part yet. 

It sounds like a lot, but his bday is also just before Christmas, so the above is for both. 

DS18 (senior in high school)

- New phone (He dropped his and cracked screen in June, been limping along with a marginally functional phone since then.)

- New loafers

- New fleece blanket (loves these, found one with his favorite animal, sloths)

- Nice leather gloves

- Gift certificate to buy online sheet music

- Three books

- The usual stocking stuffers - funny socks, hair care products

This year my ds is getting:

~Extra warm leather gloves for outside work

~A super soft fleece blanket

~Flannel lined jeans...he's always cold

~A set of books

~Three bags of his favorite chips which I never buy

And a stocking filled with socks, deodorant, shaving cream, razors, favorite gum, new toothbrush, etc.

Beginner Bass guitar.  He already play regular guitar.

some other guitar thing where you change the sounds. 

Cold weather running gear.   (from grandmother)

new pair of lace up ankle boots (puppy chewed his favorite pair!)

Super smash bros ultimate

when mine were that age, I started buying stuff they'd need for living away at college.  it also works towards getting them stuff for setting up their own apartment.  (that worked so well, my boys are srs in college and live at home. . . . . 1ds plans on a 2yr MS, so while he says he wants to move out before he graduates with that - we're in a very  highcol area -, I'm not holding my breath)

luggage (I gave my girls as hs school graduation gifts.)

tools

nice bedding.  (2ds appreciates the "finer things" in life.  so, I'm getting him nice sheets & duvet.  and a game about puns - 'cause he loves them.)

clothes appropriate for a job.

irony - 2dd was living at 1dds, and wanted a new comforter.  she had a queen at 1dds, so I bought queen everything.  she barely dated but she and her dh were engaged christmas eve.  glad I bought queen size . . .

• Like 2

anything air hog is kind of cool.  electric razor, watch, I got my 17 year old a lego tech set last year just because I wanted to get him some type of toy, good ear buds, big pack of razors if they don't like electric, running shirt or rock band shirt, good wallet, lanyard from favorite team, pocket knife, good flashlight

One year I gave an older teen a new wallet with gift cards to the movies, restaurants and other local fun hang outs  - like the mini golf place, alpine slide, go carts, etc.  All gift cards with enough for a date or even a double date to some of the fun places around that we just don't generally go to.  I know gift cards are not your thing, but this was a little different than just a target gift card...

The big gift for my dd17 (senior in hs) this year is a new ski coat (we were planning to also add in a ski pass, but she is having knee surgery next week, so that's probably out for a while). I also have some clothes for her and a pair of boots. That's not terribly exciting.... We don't do phones for Christmas, so she will have to limp along with her older/broken phone for another month or two.  She already has luggage.  She will get a laptop for college for her birthday.  It's a hard age to buy for! I saw a polaroid camera I'm sort of considering, but I don't know...  

DS 15 would love a drone with camera - my son in law used one for a college project over Thanksgiving and he and my son had a great time playing with it - is was controlled by an iphone and the video quality was awesome.  DH suggested that we get that for ds, but I think I will wait until next year as dh is away for another 6 months - it seems like something they would enjoy together, so ds' birthday or next christmas when dad is home will be fun.

I'd love to hear what you decide to go with. 

• Like 1

On December 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Momto5inIN said:

Garment bag/suitcase

Yup, I was getting my dd (I know, not a guy but still, lol) luggage around that age. If they're going to be flying, they might like the new size of carry-ons or a rolling duffle that folds down. Easy to get their stuff into the dorms and easy to store once they get there.

https://www.target.com/p/skyline-36-rolling-duffel-bag-gray/-/A-49138471

• Like 1

Last year, I gave ds a "hot sauce challenge" set I found at Target. It had 10 bottles of hot sauce ranked from 1 to 10 in heat levels. We had a lot of fun doing a wing night, trying and eating the hot sauces.

This year:

Some cool movie posters he likes (he has a few he likes and we get them in 11 x 17 in. sizes so he has room to hang them). Plus an art print he wanted from one of his gaming sites.

Special tees he likes from his favorite websites.

A few books.

Custom keyboard keys.

Probably some foodie type items if I find something.  (Last year it was the hot sauce challenge. Another year I got him a sampler pack of different honeys. Etc.)

In his stocking, some extra earbuds because he is terrible about losing his. And candy/treats that he doesn't get often, like Tim Tams, certain chocolates, etc.

Probably a toy or two for his cats too.

He is getting a really nice jacket and gloves that he wants/needs, wireless earbuds, a Carolina reaper hot sauce that he has been dying to try (it is $22 for a few ounces so I usually won't buy it haha), and a safe car jumping kit like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748D8KT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I will probably get him a few restaurant gift cards because he loves to grab food on the go 🙂 

Edited by Attolia

for my 19 yo and 16 yo

new coat and hat

hoodies.  The boys never seem to have enough, and must be "brand" like Nike, UA or NorthFace (for the win 😄 )

Tech t-shirts and shorts (same as above)

boots.  That was for the 19 yo. He's in college and needs something for walking in the muck.

tools, meaning a tool box filled with the basics

The 16 yo is getting a new desk and chair for his room

The 19 was almost all clothes.  He just needed them.  He's also getting gift cards, but you said no those.  My son has a Nintendo Switch and can download games he wants.