Menu

What's with the ads?

J-rap

Can you recommend a chapstick that really works?

My lips get chapped easily, and most of the year the one chapstick that works is Blistex Medicated Lip Balm.  More and more though, I find that during the cold winters when the air and my skin become so dry, that particular chapstick hardly cuts it anymore.  I feel like I have to apply it every hour!  Can anyone recommend something better for the winter months?

What works best for me not to use just one product. Blistex, Vaseline with Cocoa Butter and Mary Kay are all in the line-up. If those seem not to cut it, I use A & D ointment at night. 

• Like 1

Aquaphor is the only thing that works for me. I have super, super dry skin and lips due to auto-immune issues (and age, too). Aquaphor is magic. Avoid things with menthol or peppermint oil or other potentially drying ingredients. Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning with kokum butter is my second choice but it's nowhere near as good as Aquaphor.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Aquaphor is the only thing that works for me. I have super, super dry skin and lips due to auto-immune issues (and age, too). Aquaphor is magic. Avoid things with menthol or peppermint oil or other potentially drying ingredients. Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning with kokum butter is my second choice but it's nowhere near as good as Aquaphor.

I just bought Aquaphor for dd's stocking.  This is good to know.  Thanks.

37 minutes ago, MEmama said:

The only lip balm I'll use is Burts Bees pomegranate. 

Nothing else I've tried works as well for me.

This is my ds' favorite.

I use chapstick regularly with no problems but I remember being young with very chapped lips and my mom used cooking oil on them and it worked really well.  Not for maintenance but if they get bad, it works!  Dd just uses petroleum jelly.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yes this!  Any Burt’s bees but this specific one is the best.

also if you have large cracks or ongoing problems check your vitamin b levels.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 4

I’ve had dry skin from scalp to toe all of my life. My lips and hands were always especially bad. I started using this last year and it is *incredible* how much better my lips are! I truly think I’ve tried hundreds of lip balms in the past. I actually found this watching YouTube videos of Dr Dray (dermatologist) because there was a thread on this board recommending her videos! So, another win for the hive for me! 😊

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016F3MGBG/ref=sxts_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1544278220&sr=1

ETA: this also doesn’t have flavor or smell, which is great for me

Edited by mmasc
  • Thanks 1

This Neutrogena one has been my favorite for years. I don't have chronically dry skin, but other lip bands often seem to elicit an allergic response or cause cold sores. At night I use petroleum jelly, but the Neutrogena one is my true love.

Edited by SusanC
Swype underestimated the length of my love affair with lip balm.
  • Thanks 1

I also really like burt's bee's (vanilla) lip balm. I have had to apply it far more frequently in the last month, but I'm having to use eye drops on my eyes a lot too.

hydration helps.   drink more water as well.

• Like 1

Check labels and don't use anything with phenol.  It feels good going on, but it is actually drying to your lips, so you end up needing to reapply quite regularly.

Burt's Bees is very good (I don't think the flavor makes a difference in its effectiveness, but some people don't like the "regular" because it contains peppermint.  I personally love the Pink Grapefruit best.  

DoTERRA's lip balms are very good.

• Thanks 1

I've been making my own lip balm for a few years. It's a DIY version of Burts Bees and really simple. There are lots of copycat recipes around. I find most lip balms make things worse in the long run. I don't get on with Burts Bees long term even though it seems so nice to use. I also think the problem with the regular Burts Bees is not the mint but the rosemary as I add a mint to mine without the drying effects but when I use products with rosemary in it's just so harsh and I've noticed problems with rosemary in skin care in the past. 

I've found that light exfoliation right before applying lip balm helps whatever I use last longer. I like to either gently brush my lips with a soft toothbrush and water or gently rub them with a slightly damp towel, then put balm on right away.

For those who use lip balm in the winter, how often do you reapply?

One of my dds & I have to practically live with the stuff on us because we reapply hourly.

5 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

For those who use lip balm in the winter, how often do you reapply?

One of my dds & I have to practically live with the stuff on us because we reapply hourly.

I used to be that way.  As a kid and through high school I always had a tube of Chapstick on me.   My sister had commented that she didn't use Chapstick, because it seemed to make her lips worse - that the more she used it, the more she needed to use it.  That seemed uncomfortably true, so in college I switched to Burt's Bees, but I still needed to have it on me at all times.  Eventually I got tired of being addicted to lip balm, so I just went cold turkey (during winter, even).   The first three or four days were truly miserable, but I was over the hump after a week.  Since then my lips might occasionally get dry, even crack, but they never get that maddening "chew off your own lip to make it stop" feeling that I used to feel whenever I didn't reapply in time. 

Now I rarely do anything other than exfoliate with a natural bristle brush and drink more water.  If it gets dry enough it hurts (a different sort of hurt than the "must reapply lip balm now" feeling of my lip balm days), or my kids complain of hurting dry lips, I mostly use olive oil.  If it's really bad, I pull out some old Aubrey Organics lip balm - it tends to heal the problem in one application, and doesn't restart the lip balm addiction.   I use it maybe 2-3x/year, if that.  (Although I noticed that if I used it for a few days in a row, the beginnings of the "chew your lip off" addiction feeling came back.  Once I noticed that, I made sure to use it only apply it once - no reapplying.)  I have no idea if they make it anymore - I bought it 15 years ago and still have half the little pot left.  But it is good stuff when used sparingly - and unlike others I used, I *could* use it sparingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yup, I'm really partial to Burts Bees, especially the pomegrante. I don't know if it's softer or nicer for some reason, or if it's just my imagination. I like it better than the regular, unflavored kinds. 

Also, for me I find things from petroleum (mineral oil, etc.) dry my skin and make it worse in the end. So maybe the op needs to go with something without the petro-derived waxes and see if that helps?

And yes on pushing hydration. A glass (8 oz, whatever) every hour makes a noticeable difference for me.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 3

My son's lips are perpetually chapped. He also has had "licking dermatitis" in the past which is caused by licking the dry chapped lips. He applies coconut oil before bedtime (he needs to rub it in for a good 30 seconds for it to be absorbed). Then, he uses Dr Bronner's unscented Organic Lip Balm "Naked". https://www.target.com/p/dr-bronner-s-organic-lip-balm-naked-15-oz/-/A-51078684

I buy mine from vitacost. It really works for him.

I like Lip Ivo, the original flavor, https://lipivo.com/ 

When I run out I’ll use Burt Bees, but I don’t like the ones that have a “bite”. I think grapefruit is one flavor with a bite.

As far as how frequently I use lip balm, 2-3 times per day. Not because my lips crack but mostly because I like the way it feels. 

10 hours ago, SusanC said:

This Neutrogena one has been my favorite for years.

I like this one, too.  (It doesn't pull on my lips when I put it on.)

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

Burt Bees Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm with Kokum Butter is my favorite for severely chapped lips, but I like the Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil as well. The Kokum Butter one is a different formula from most of the other Burts Bees balms: more oils/butters, less beeswax, and no rosemary, peppermint, or flavoring (and no petroleum products).

When DS was taking Accutane, it affected his lips so badly they were constantly swollen, split, and bleeding. The dermatologist recommended Dr. Dan's Cortibalm, which has 1% hydrocortisone in it, and that really made a difference. 

Edited by Corraleno

I follow a Houston anchor who swears by a particular nipple cream -- used when you're nursing. She uses it at night on her lips before bed and says it really works.

I looked it up: it's Lansinoh HPA lanolin cream. $9 at Target.

For daytime, I use Blistex and vaseline (I buy a tiny thing of it that smells like creme brulee at CVS).

Alley

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

That's what I was going to recommend. When ds was taking an acne medicine that really dried out his lips, his dermatologist recommended Aquaphor. I tried it when he was using it and it's now the one I prefer. 

• Like 1

Honestly whenever my lips get extremely chapped I am always, ALWAYS dehydrated.  A little lip licking or wind chapping is external and can be exfoliated off, but worse than that and hydration is the very first thing I’d be looking at.

As for chapsticks, I like Mary Kay, Melaleuca, and Burt’s Bees.  But two 30 oz tumblers of water goes a lot further.

5 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I follow a Houston anchor who swears by a particular nipple cream -- used when you're nursing. She uses it at night on her lips before bed and says it really works.

I looked it up: it's Lansinoh HPA lanolin cream. $9 at Target.

For daytime, I use Blistex and vaseline (I buy a tiny thing of it that smells like creme brulee at CVS).

Alley

This stuff was magic for breastfeeding.  

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

But two 30 oz tumblers of water goes a lot further.

Hmm, which one is less bothersome? Keeping a little tube of lip balm nearby or needing to use the restroom every 45 minutes because I've been chugging water all day? :tongue: I'm going to pick the chapstick, I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For me?  The water!  When my lips get chapped they distract me all day.  And believe me I have to weigh the consequences, it’s so hard for me to get down the hall on the wheelchair to get to the bathroom now.  But it’s also a lot more difficult to get up and get water, compared to before I broke my ankle, so I have been battling dehydration.  After a few days of chapped lips I decided the bathroom was definitely the lesser of two evils, because the chapstick can’t acrually fix really severely chapped lips like mine  were a few days ago.  It lubricates them but the dryness and roughness remains, to some extent.

• Like 2

Just a fyi that products containing beeswax often contain propolis, a contaminant made by bees that is an allergan. Dd had a terrible problem with her lips until she found out she was allergic to propolis. She use Burt's Bees chapstick; now she uses petroleum jelly.

• Like 2

The last couple of years, I have used mostly just coconut oil for moisturizer morning and night, and I haven't had as much of a need for this. But before that, I used Mary Kay's Extra Emollient Night Cream for my face and lips when it was winter chapping time. It was the only thing that really helped. It is thick, so it stays on better than most other creams. A dealer gave me some sample tubes that I used for my lips, day and night. It only took a little, so the tubes lasted a long time. It looks like clear lip gloss, and then at night I would put it on more thickly. I still use it when it is very cold and dry, both on my face and on my lips.

2 hours ago, MomsintheGarden said:

Oh, and she's also allergic to coconut oil, just in case that helps someone.

Totally OT, but MitG, can you or your DH pop over to the high school board and give an update on your kids. It is PSAT results time this week and I was thinking the other day about how your whole family kinda was in upheaval after last year's results came out. I wondered how it all worked out. I'm sure others on the high school board would love to hear an update (as much as you feel comfortable sharing) on the twins & the next older boy. 

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Totally OT, but MitG, can you or your DH pop over to the high school board and give an update on your kids. It is PSAT results time this week and I was thinking the other day about how your whole family kinda was in upheaval after last year's results came out. I wondered how it all worked out. I'm sure others on the high school board would love to hear an update (as much as you feel comfortable sharing) on the twins & the next older boy. 

I'll ask Reg. Thanks for the reminder, RA! The short version is that everything turned out well, and all three will be going to UAH next fall.

Sorry for the hijack! I just wanted folks to know that sometimes lips get chapped from allergies. Dd has some wierd ones. She's also alergic to cobalt and some other things.

• Haha 1

It's best to avoid anything that says "medicated."  All those things that make it feel nice and tingly are actually very drying.  My family and I all use Paula's Choice lip and body balm.  Trust me.  I've tried every balm under the drugstore sun.  Paula's Choice heals and prevents chapped lips.