Menu

What's with the ads?

nopenope

Trail Guide To Learning- Calling everyone who's ever held it in their hands!

OK I have read all the past threads that could be pulled up from the hive dungeons 🙂 but I still need more information. 

The situation is this: for the rest of this school year, I am definitely going to just keep on with our "just read" plan for both my older kids. It's going very, very well. Possibly I will keep on with it next year with both kids, possibly with just one. 

However, I am strongly interested in TGTL for at least one of the boys for next year. We'll have a four year old in the mix by then and historically I tend to spend a grip of time reading to my four year olds. Plus, yanno, they're just four with all that entails. 

The boys have been doing LLATL, which is closely related, as you know, to TGLT and they **love** it. I am not using hyperbole. To me, it's just another good-enough gets-it-done workbook like CP or BJU or whatever, but they truly rave about LLATL. They tell their friends. It's adorable. My oldest keeps asking if there's anything else like it, not knowing that actually yes son, there is and it's called Trail Guide To Learning.

I'm not worried about the sequence of the history. I'm not concerned if the writing instruction is "sufficient." I don't care if the selected books are the best of the best. We cover all the downsides of those common criticisms of the program through the course of our lives and things we can't help but do because we're us. Additionally, I don't care if it's something we use for one year and then pick up later with other things (we did a year of Oak Meadow in an inflated semester once that was JUST the ticket at the time, for example).

What I am after is the the day to day feel of the thing. The flow of the routine for the kid. The "do exactly this," followed by "use your innate creativity and do this" followed by, "hey, did you know about this? cool, eh, bud?"  followed by, "here's a thing you can do, or not, just for fun if you want to." followed by, "do exactly this..." I've read the pertinent Beechick books and I'm fine with it.

1. ^^I need to know if it's like that^^ because that's how LLATL is. 
  2. I need to know how long people spend per day on it and if the days vary (varying is a plus in this instance).
  3. ...and if you give me a time frame can you please tell me if the children you use it with tend to be pokey or speed readers errwot 🙂 .
  4. I need to know how much writing the kids do (and in which level?) in a week, on average.
  5. I need to know how different the suggested assignments for each level within lessons are.
  6. I need to know what the daily interaction looks like between teacher/parent and student on different kinds of days (I am assuming they are different through the week, based on LLATL)

It's pretty $$$$ so I really need to have every scrap of info anyone can give me before biting that bullet. Please tell me anything you can think of! I know it was just recently revised, but please don't hold back because you havn't seen the new ones 🙂 

Thanks fam. 

• Like 1

I can't answer either but I am off to check it out cause I need something for my sons big time that is more than what they are doing now.

After looking it over, it seems like a lot to do each day. I think you would need to spread it out quite a bit. The Extension packages are for the 1st edition while the print is 3rd so they do not line up quite exactly. Some of the grammar definitons are odd like a sentence names a person, place, or thing, and what that thing does or is. Personally, a sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought makes more sense but we have done a lot of FLL. I would say it is comparable to Oak Meadow but with more detailed instructions and less independent. I like the idea of it because I do feel like our learning is too disjointed. The integration of subjects is one reason I felt drawn to OM. I haven't really tried unit studies like MBTP, though, because they all seem to lack a logical building of skills. To me, if I can pick and choose where to start or what book to use then the program is not for us because it doesn't build on itself. Hmm... I hope that made sense. I do not think it is expensive considering all that is included. Memoria Press packages are roughly the same amount.

Anyway, let us know if you try it.

Edited by Paradox5
revising comments

We used it a few years ago, but I didn't stick with it. It took about 3-4 hours and we skipped stuff like the huge nature book (I can't remember the name) it was boring and dull. My oldest is a get in and get it done kid so it went fine with him but my 2nd is not that way, he takes his time doing everything and it was a constant frustration for my oldest to be done and have to wait for his brother. My take forever kid never finished a whole lesson. We skipped a lot and I just didn't like the combined aspect for my 2 that were using it. It didn't flow for us.

As for the teacher parent interaction I don't recall much of a difference between days, but we didn't use it that long only six weeks till we finished unit 1. 

The difference between levels in the assignments were not huge from what I remember, but I did find it confusing so I might not have been doing it right.

I'm sorry I can't remember about the guide if it was do this, or do that, or this is an optional activity. I do remember when I was researching I found weird unsocialized homeschooler had a lot of info on the series. I also found a preview somewhere that was pretty comprehensive (it might have been on the site?) I don't recall right off the bat where I found it though.

• Like 2

Thank you for your post.  I had never heard of this before and after looking it up, it might be something my kids enjoy. I am going to follow the thread and do some research into that.  

I used POE along with the middle school supplement a few years ago with my then 6th grader, 4th grader, and 1st-grade tag along. I liked it well enough, but my kids were begging to quit it 6 weeks in (end of 1st unit). This would have been the 1st edition.

Issues we had:

• Some of the readers and read aloud books overlapped so much that they seemed redundant. My kids didn't care for them, either.
  • My kids work at vastly different rates, so someone was always waiting for someone to finish, which annoyed them because they wanted to get their other work done quickly and move onto their personal interests.
  • The level of the language arts segments wasn't on target for us.
  • It was a ton of printing if you use all the printables, etc. We didn't use all of those as I found it was sometimes too much like busy work.
  • Turns out that the two older kids do not like to have all their studies interconnected like that. They want subjects---they felt that it was just this big long block of time that we were doing POE until it was done (even though we took breaks).

I still have it and might do it at some point with my youngest. 

• Like 2

If you do go ahead and buy TGTL, please let us know how it goes. I've been looking at this thinking in a couple years it might be perfect for combining my two youngest boys.

5 hours ago, vaquitita said:

If you do go ahead and buy TGTL, please let us know how it goes. I've been looking at this thinking in a couple years it might be perfect for combining my two youngest boys.

Maybe next year. For the rest of this year I picked up a BF guide. Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, we'll start that next week. We're doing only the books for it that I already have. Which is a majority, but still. I've read through the guide, and it will be  super easy to slide this right into the way we already use notebooks for school. 

After I posted this I found a lot of 2nd edition TGTL copies. The two book set. and their website does still sell downloads for the student sheets for that edition. I'm really allergic to printing, so it would have been an expensive hassle that never got done here. Still, a good and cheap option for printer people!

• Like 2