Menu

s/o what slang are your kids using?

sassenach

My kids give me an occasional update on what's new. I always find it fun.

The latest around here- 

a snack: someone who's cute. "He's a tasty snack."

Kobe: said when you're shooting for accuracy

Yeet: seems to be multipurpose but definitely said when shooting for distance.

tea/spill the tea/the tea is hot: tea is gossip, so spilling the tea is sharing the gossip. The tea is hot is juicy gossip.

• Like 2

So I've just asked my dd13 about this.  They seem to have many of the same ones, at least very similar.  "Snack" she said is a bit more sexual than just "cute" it seems to imply specific sexual acts.  Yeet she knew as "Yeetus to the Foetus" which means kicking your kids out of home.  They use tea the same way.

Another she mentioned was "thick" as i having a big booty or boobs, but in a complimentary way.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

So I've just asked my dd13 about this.  They seem to have many of the same ones, at least very similar.  "Snack" she said is a bit more sexual than just "cute" it seems to imply specific sexual acts.  Yeet she knew as "Yeetus to the Foetus" which means kicking your kids out of home.  They use tea the same way.

Another she mentioned was "thick" as i having a big booty or boobs, but in a complimentary way.

I am so ashamed to say that I know the proper spelling online is "thicc". This was a reality check, I really need to use my time more wisely. 😱   LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My kids say things are chill all the time. Not cool.  Chill.   And salty.  My daughter says, "Yeet" is kind of a positive exclamation.  They say, "That's a mood," to mean, "I relate to that."  My 15 year old says other kids say, "Spill the tea,"  but it's not popular in her social circle.  She hasn't used thicc herself, but she was very familiar with it as well as "snack," but again, not in her social circle.  

Tea and spill the tea for gossip.

Bringing receipts for having proof.  Wait a minute -- maybe I'm the one who uses that rather than my kids.

Stan for huge fan/stalking

Salty for practically any purpose -- meaning seems to change on a whim -- edited to add that "mood" is thrown around the same way these days

Back when Ocasio Cortez said something about "slaying lewks," a couple of people I follow on Twitter who are younger and presumable hipper than me didn't know what it meant. I was confused since I instantly knew -- like, I'm the most out-of-the-loop person I know, how do I know this and a 30yo on the east coast doesn't? 

Edited by GailV

Ds19 uses so much slang I have to order him to speak English sometimes. I don’t have a clue what he means sometimes. I also don’t like intentional misspellings that carry meaning, like “baddie,” which is pronounced like “biddy”. Used for a good-looking woman. 

I have heard, “She thicc” - she has a big booty/ big figure. It’s generally used desirably, though. 

“Dank” should mean the wet corner of the basement, but it means something more like cool, hip, stylish. 

“Get turnt” - hard partying

“Big facts” - statement of assent

”cuffing season” - time of year when people pair off/make committments; also getting engaged or married - “get cuffed”.

”ghosts” - when a mate you were interested in disappears; “she ghosted me”

How did I find all these, you ask? Oh, just scrolling through a four-way text chain with my two older kids and me and dh. Lol! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've heard my teens use "So Extra" recently - both ds15 and dd17 have said it a couple of times this week, and occasionally over the last few months. I think it is gently making fun of someone who is trying too hard, but almost in a positive way...

from google:  The term itself, often phrased as "so extra" or "super extra," has moved from a negative connotation to a sort of loving irritation — mocking, but not derogatory. The pal who is a pain in the ass, but whom you honestly kind of admire for it. There are also the people who happily claim the title of "extra."

• Like 1

My kids say yeet to us for "yes", or "that's cool." The cat is salty, the labrador is thicc (and to me "thick" means stupid so I think they're insulting her, but they insist thicc is good.) My youngest's Christmas present to my dh for the past several years is a booklet she makes called "What's Going on Now" that explains the current slang, fads, etc. We love it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Interesting.  13yodd uses many of the same slang words, but seems to have different meanings than those described so far.

"Salty" for my dd means she (or someone else) is feeling upset about something, perhaps an insult, or something that didn't go her way, or is just in a bad mood.

"Mood" is used instead of expressing an actual emotion.  (If she walks through the living room, and we're watching a sappy scene on TV, she'll just exclaim, "Mood!")

"A'ight" means "All right"  and is pronounced "ahh-eet"

A "ship" describes characters in a show or a musical group (any public figures) that dd or her friends hope will form a couple (a hoped for relation-ship).  Also used as a verb: "I'm shipping Jack and Jill."

"Yeet" is used how I would use, "Yay!"  Also seems to be used as a general catch-all phrase, when she wants to say something, but nothing comes to mind.

"Chill" is used the way I would use "mellow" or "cool".  It's generally good.

"Smole"  is pronounced like "mole" with an "s" on the front, and describes anything small and cute.  It also makes me cringe every time dd says it, which is several times a day.  Why can't she just say "small"?  It sounds like she's trying to speak with an accent or something, Canadian maybe?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Interesting.  13yodd uses many of the same slang words, but seems to have different meanings than those described so far.

"Salty" for my dd means she (or someone else) is feeling upset about something, perhaps an insult, or something that didn't go her way, or is just in a bad mood.

"Mood" is used instead of expressing an actual emotion.  (If she walks through the living room, and we're watching a sappy scene on TV, she'll just exclaim, "Mood!")

A "ship" describes characters in a show or a musical group (any public figures) that dd or her friends hope will form a couple (a hoped for relation-ship).  Also used as a verb: "I'm shipping Jack and Jill."

"Yeet" is used how I would use, "Yay!"  Also seems to be used as a general catch-all phrase, when she wants to say something, but nothing comes to mind.

"Smole"  is pronounced like "mole" with an "s" on the front, and describes anything small and cute.  It also makes me cringe every time dd says it, which is several times a day.  Why can't she just say "small"?  It sounds like she's trying to speak with an accent or something, Canadian maybe?

Yes to all of these, though I haven't heard smole. “Shipping” is also used here in friend groups, not just public figures. Like, “Oh, I ship Claire and James; they always chat in Math class.” 

49 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

It's not smole.  It's smoll.  That's pretty common and refers to anything cute, but like puppies, kittens, or small children.  "Aw, I see a smoll over there!"

Shipping is pretty huge, but it's been used on the internet for almost a decade, so it's not really new.  What's new is being used outside of fan fiction.  But yeah, my kids use it all the time.  

Ghosted hasn't come up, but it's pretty common.  

Edited by Terabith

Hey, does anyone know if there is new slang that means lame or beat, as in, “we were going to go to a party at Mike’s but it was ___________” (lame, beat, dead, not much happening)?

13 hours ago, Quill said:

Hey, does anyone know if there is new slang that means lame or beat, as in, “we were going to go to a party at Mike’s but it was ___________” (lame, beat, dead, not much happening)?

Hmm, not sure. 

Trash means sucks, sort of. Like "that pitcher was trash" means he's a terrible pitcher (this isn't just a sports reference). But I don't know if "that party was trash" is right.

Fire/Fuego means good. I still hear dope used as a positive descriptor. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

My kids say yeet to us for "yes", or "that's cool." The cat is salty, the labrador is thicc (and to me "thick" means stupid so I think they're insulting her, but they insist thicc is good.) My youngest's Christmas present to my dh for the past several years is a booklet she makes called "What's Going on Now" that explains the current slang, fads, etc. We love it.

That's awesome. Save those. They'll be like time capsules.

39 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I'm really curious about where these originated.  Most of the slang terms I remember seemed to be based on or made from real word.  A lot of these seem to be completely made up.

A lot come from viral videos- on fleek, yeet... I think a lot are made up. 

Fetch could have totally happened if Vine was a thing back then.

Smol for little and cute. 

Rad means cool. 

Salty is indignant. 

Low key and high key: they might be low key annoyed when a friend is late, or high key upset when they fail an exam. 

Hella indicates enthusiasm or a superlative. I used to hear it more like "the guy with the hella good hair" but now I usually get it as a one-word response to something they are happy or excited about. You might text that you're ordering pizza and get "hella!" or "oh hella!" in response. 

af for as f*ck; we're college students and poor af

I'm Gucci means I'm good: Did you make it home? Yeah, I'm Gucci. 

Dip for leave.

Oof where an older person might say ouch: I tanked my math final. Oof, poor you. 

Doggo for dog. Always. 

• Like 4

I've never heard a single one of these from either my 12 or my 16 year old. I told my teen about this conversation and he said, "Mom, my friends are all old men and in here (pointing to his heart) I'm really just an 80 year old."  A little while later he said that two guys his age had joined one of his activities and then laughed and added, "But they talk like old men too."😂 If I believed in reincarnation, I'd think he was a reincarnated soldier from some long ago war. If other teens he knows used these expressions, he wouldn't know (or even care) what they meant. I might be able to get him to use the phrase "brazen hussy" though!🤣🤣

• Haha 4

Dank means a really good, high quality, potent marijuana. From there it's drifted out into the non-marijuana using world, much in the same way that smoke does. Google suggests that marijuana of a really strong caliber is also dank in the other sense, but I wouldn't know about that.