Menu

Math Curriculum for 8th Grader Finishing Algebra 1

What would you all suggest for an 8th grader who loves math and is just finishing the 3rd edition of Saxon Algebra 1. Have read mixed reviews about Saxon Geometry and Saxon Algebra 2. She is planning to go to mainstream school for grade 9, so want her to be as ready as possible. 

Does anyone have experience with Saxon Geometry or Algebra 2? Is there another curriculum that you would suggest for the next 6 months?

Thanks!!

This is a request for a math program or resource to finish out the rest of homeschool 8th grade?

I'd be tempted to "go broad" for the rest of the year rather than start the next level of higher maths (Geometry or Alg. 2). That will build a very solid foundation for math understanding for moving into high school and the future higher maths. Several ways you can "go broad":

- do however much you have time for in the rest of the year of a second Algebra 1 program that comes at the subject from a completely different angle, and that emphasizes problem solving/math thinking -- maybe Art of Problem Solving text and videos, or even Life of Fred Beginning Algebra (and just do math each day as your student is enjoying it, to keep fresh with the concepts -- rather than go in with the idea of "must completely finish a second Algebra 1 program")

- focus on problem-solving resources like Real World Algebra (Zaccaro); Becoming a Problem-Solving Genius (Zaccaro); 100 Math Brainteasers (Romanowicz)

- explore some other math topics like
Probability and Statistics
Introduction to Number Theory
Introduction to Counting and Probability

- join a Math competition group

Another thought would be to just do a short Algebra review each day through an online website, and then spend the time learning computer coding, which requires mathematical logic (another way of "going broad").

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would do the Arbor School booKS Crocodiles and Coconuts and Chuckles the Rocket Dog.  Both will be review, but they come at it from a different angle than Saxon.  I might also try LoF.  I've used all these books.  Saxon is our main program, but the other programs add some depth. 

• 1 month later...

I will add that you should find out if your school has adopted an Intergrated Math progression or stayed with traditional math sequence as that would impact what you would want to do. If they do IM, then I would think you would want to cover any topics that they cover in IM1 so that she is able to transition right into IM2.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to reiterate what was stated above about integrated. I know our district has adopted all integrated courses. You can still take traditional courses but they are phasing those out. They really try and push kids to the integrated track and they will put a kid in the typical 8th grade integrated class to catch them up.