Menu

December Frugalistas

Baseball mom

No toe stepping on over here.  I think I posted the November one because I didn't know who posts them, this month I forgot because it isn't going to be a frugal month.

We leave for Universal Studios in 9 days and I know there is no point pretending I can be frugal there.  Gas, food, novelty things, etc will all be expensive.  I do plan on doing some things keep costs down but I'm just going to decide not to worry about it all that much.  

Plus, I never finished my Christmas shopping so that is another at least $100 to think about.  I'll finish it this weekend so I don't have to think about it once we get back from Orlando.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

We started out the month with $1200 in car repairs!!! So much for no debt. 

That is tough.  I just decided to take a look at our credit card account to see just how much damage I've done not paying attention to our finances in November and not thinking about spending. It isn't pretty! Roughly, $1600 on the card and little to show for it.  I do have some returns to do but not nearly enough. Luckily, we won't carry that balance so it will accrue no interest.  But it certainly depressing to see that.  January will be and entire re-haul of our budget and spending habits, not even gonna try to reign it in in December because that is useless 

53 minutes ago, Baseball mom said:

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but didn't see a new thread.   

How is everyone doing this month?

I was starting to think we all threw in the towel on December, lol.

So far so good here.  I finished Christmas shopping completely on the 2nd, and everything is wrapped, too.

Paid subdivision dues and property taxes.  Still need to make some budget adjustments for next year: switch phone plans, switch trash haulers, drop full coverage on DH’s aging car.  Electric budget billing decreased, but I’m not helping it stay there by loitering in front of space heaters all day.  I bought the Target gift cards for 10% off, and made that my 2019 Target Budget.   DH thinks I can’t do it.  Challenge accepted.

39 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

No toe stepping on over here.  I think I posted the November one because I didn't know who posts them, this month I forgot because it isn't going to be a frugal month.

We leave for Universal Studios in 9 days and I know there is no point pretending I can be frugal there.  Gas, food, novelty things, etc will all be expensive.  I do plan on doing some things keep costs down but I'm just going to decide not to worry about it all that much.  

Plus, I never finished my Christmas shopping so that is another at least $100 to think about.  I'll finish it this weekend so I don't have to think about it once we get back from Orlando.

Enjoy your trip!  Is it a surprise for the kids or does everyone already know?  I’m considering making Universal after Christmas our “yay the house is fixed up and we can afford travel” trip in a couple years, but I’m curious about the crowds post-holiday.

30 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

We started out the month with $1200 in car repairs!!! So much for no debt. 

Ack!  Our cars are now 12 and 9 years old.  I see $$$$$$ repairs in our future, because I really don’t want to replace them until the kids are old enough to not ruin them.

56 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Yay you are still going.  I didn't know.  I just read this article yesterday, maybe some tips.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/maximize-one-day-at-universal-studios-florida/?utm_source=TPG+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f02b9c5b3d-TPG_Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2b0b8ee2b7-f02b9c5b3d-44673361

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

I was starting to think we all threw in the towel on December, lol.

So far so good here.  I finished Christmas shopping completely on the 2nd, and everything is wrapped, too.

Paid subdivision dues and property taxes.  Still need to make some budget adjustments for next year: switch phone plans, switch trash haulers, drop full coverage on DH’s aging car.  Electric budget billing decreased, but I’m not helping it stay there by loitering in front of space heaters all day.  I bought the Target gift cards for 10% off, and made that my 2019 Target Budget.   DH thinks I can’t do it.  Challenge accepted.

Enjoy your trip!  Is it a surprise for the kids or does everyone already know?  I’m considering making Universal after Christmas our “yay the house is fixed up and we can afford travel” trip in a couple years, but I’m curious about the crowds post-holiday.

Ack!  Our cars are now 12 and 9 years old.  I see $$$$$$ repairs in our future, because I really don’t want to replace them until the kids are old enough to not ruin them.

Smart Idea.  you can make it go further by rolling deals when they have them.  Sometimes they have buy $30 worth of paper products and get $10 GC or something like that.  That and all the savings and coupons they have. 

Oh good work on all the other stuff you are doing.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

They know about it and are incredibly excited.  Dh is the only one of us who has ever been so we're all pretty excited.  My research shows that after Christmas is one of the busiest times to go.  So I wouldn't go then.  We decided to go before christmas because it isn't suppose to be ridiculously crowded

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks for sharing!  Yes, we're still going.  I'm so excited.  We leave on the 15th and will be staying on site until the 20th.  Then we are visiting dh's cousin who just had  a baby and slowly driving back up north. 

• Like 1

Just now, hjffkj said:

Thanks for sharing!  Yes, we're still going.  I'm so excited.  We leave on the 15th and will be staying on site until the 20th.  Then we are visiting dh's cousin who just had  a baby and slowly driving back up north. 

Have fun.  I have always wanted to go around the holidays.  I love the decorations.  I have heard Universal is so awesome. 

• Like 1

I found three working electric razor scooters on shop goodwill.com for $10-$20 each, that are going to be the “big gift” for the three older kids.  They were pick-up only at a goodwill about an hour from here, which is no problem, except that my kids are now all super sick with a stomach bug.  I might need to ask my sil (who lives ~ halfway between here and there) to pick them up for me.

I also found my dh’s gift (an appalachian dulcimer he’s wanted for a long time) for about $70 less than they are on eBay.

Oh, and I got a lot of four binoculars for $12.  My dh thought that was weird, but I think the kids will think they are the coolest stocking stuffers, ever.

Edited by Michelle Conde
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

I found three working electric razor scooters on shop goodwill.com for $10-$20 each, that are going to be the “big gift” for the three older kids.  They were pick-up only at a goodwill about an hour from here, which is no problem, except that my kids are now all super sick with a stomach bug.  I might need to ask my sil (who lives ~ halfway between here and there) to pick them up for me.

I also found my dh’s gift (an appalachian dulcimer he’s wanted for a long time) for about $70 less than they are on eBay.

Oh, and I got a lot of four binoculars for $12.  My dh thought that was weird, but I think the kids will think they are the coolest stocking stuffers, ever.

We have given each of our kids a pair of binoculars over the years and they were a big hit

We are rebuilding our cushion this month after buying the house last month.  The way this month will work, is the first two paychecks will be for normal expenditures (insurance, food, gas, utilities..) and the Christmas paycheck will go nearly entirely to the mortgage.  Eek!  So it's a bit of finagling to budget with everything towards the beginning of the month.  But there is also no car payment, no credit card payments...we are okay, I think.

Presents are bought mostly.  I need to get dh something.  Baking closet is stocked.  I bought myself a new pair of jeans because they were on sale and I was down to two pairs that weren't ripped but on their way out, too.  And then I found out dh bought me two pairs online, so I will probably return one next week when I go to the store.  I need to finish making everyone's slippers here shortly, too.  But we are doing a low cost Christmas this year and I think we're doing well at it.

• Like 3

Through December 21st, head over to Amazon where you can score a rare discount valid for $5 off a book purchase of $20 or more when you use promo code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout. Note that there is a limit of one use per customer, and offer does not apply to digital content or subscriptions.

From Hip2save

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I returned roughly $200 worth of stuff that I bought last month because it either didn't fit, looked ugly once it was on, or was entirely broken when received.  So that is a nice start to the month.

I think I love returning stuff more than buying it.  Glad you got your money back. 

• Haha 1

Great deals on legos from Hip2save

Through December 15th, Target is offering 20% off select LEGO Sets with these Cartwheel offers…

20% off LEGO Friends Car Wash

20% off LEGO Bean There, Donut That

20% off LEGO Star Wars Sand Speeder

20% off LEGO Uni-kitty Fairground Fun

To purchase online, first apply the Cartwheel Savings Offers and then add the item to your cart and select free in-store pickup at checkout.

Even sweeter, also through December 15th, you can score a FREE $10 Target gift card when you spend $50 on select LEGO toys – both online and in-store!

Plus, Target REDcard holder save an additional 5%!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I got a teeny tiny paycheck for Dec. since they overpaid me in Oct. and had to compensate. Plus, we didn't meet the week of Thanksgiving. 

Doing reasonably okay with meals. The dollar potato bread I got seemed stale (not past best buy date) so I used it up as french toast. Worked well for that. 

I'll try to set aside my Dec. and Jan. paychecks to go toward the house cleaning. Been slacking on swagbucks. I need to clip coupons more regularly for points. I have been using ebates more for shopping since I know they will cut me a check in Feb. TopCashBack offers more sometimes, but it's so slow. 

Regarding that spend $50, save $10. It applies to pretty much the whole store right now. I got a mailer with a coupon code, but I think you can get the offer online without the mailer. 

Did you try that survey company Product Report Card that I posted about?  It is so easy and fun.  And you get lots of surveys every week.  Free product trails sent to you.  It adds up really fast. 

Have you ever thought of doing VIPkids?  I thought it might work for you since you already tutor. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I was nervous to try the survey site because most surveys seem to ask about income and other personal details before they start asking you questions about the product. Or maybe that's just been my experience. I don't do the surveys on swagbucks for that reason. I guess it's supposed to be anonymous but I always feel funny. I don't mind answering questions about my interests as a shopper, but I'm not really interested in getting products sent to my home to try. That is awesome that it has been good for you, though. 

I did look into VIPkid before, but it didn't seem like a good fit for me with the hours and chaos in the household. I wouldn't be able to ensure I could do a class without a toddler banging on the door (she tends to wake up and look for me if she notices I'm not in bed in the morning. Getting her to sleep in her own bed didn't stick. I hope we can do the transition with the new house. She'll have her own room). 

I get you on Vipkid.  I have a toddler too and she isn't easy.  The morning hours wouldn't work very well with her and the dh leaving.  Only if I did hours of before he left.  I have heard Saturday or Friday night are popular too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I was nervous to try the survey site because most surveys seem to ask about income and other personal details before they start asking you questions about the product. Or maybe that's just been my experience. I don't do the surveys on swagbucks for that reason. I guess it's supposed to be anonymous but I always feel funny. I don't mind answering questions about my interests as a shopper, but I'm not really interested in getting products sent to my home to try. That is awesome that it has been good for you, though. 

I did look into VIPkid before, but it didn't seem like a good fit for me with the hours and chaos in the household. I wouldn't be able to ensure I could do a class without a toddler banging on the door (she tends to wake up and look for me if she notices I'm not in bed in the morning. Getting her to sleep in her own bed didn't stick. I hope we can do the transition with the new house. She'll have her own room). 

I have an online "persona" I use for all my swagbuck surveys.  I'm not really comfortable sharing all that stuff about myself either because while they say it's confidential, I still worry about just how much they are collecting.  So my zip code is a neighboring zip code (really it's less than 2 miles from house), my age is close to my real one but not exactly (but still puts me in the same age bracket as they typically group my age in).  My birthday is close to my real birthday but not exact and of course matches the age persona I have created.  My kids ages/genders are skewed a little bit but not so drastically it will affect their mass answers  analysis but enough that I don't worry about it being tracked back to me.  Same with income.  I'm consist in all my personal persona questions and I do answer truthfully on all the what do you think about (whatever the topic of the survey is) so I don't mind sharing the personal stuff as much that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I have a girlfriend that does VIPkid and I have NO idea how she manages. She has a baby! I'm like when do you sleep? Lol. I know Friday nights is one of her teaching times along with early mornings. I guess technically dd is not a toddler now that she turned 4. I know they did tutoring over the summer last summer so hopefully I can also tutor over the summer. 

Well I bet it will be there in a few years when she is older if you want to do it .  I know of others that have a lot more on their plate doing it.  I just figure either they have easier kids.  I could have done it with my ds he was an easy baby.  Or my 2 other younger kids. THey were easy toddlers.  But this kid was not an easy baby and she is a super had toddler.   or maybe they are people who don't need much sleep.  

I am on the fence about it. 

• Like 1

The weekend went from "pretty frugal" to "horrifically expensive" in one fell swoop.

I couldn't find any decent used bikes at thrift stores, and I worry about buying a stolen bike, so I ended up ordering new bikes for the three people in our family that needed them.  Christmas money from relatives should cover most of it, but then I can't save that money for anything else.  While shopping for a bike, DS10 found a new-to-him baseball glove and cleats at the resale sporting goods shop for next season, and I had enough store credit to cover nearly all of it.  Baseball equipment is really, really expensive once they hit the double digits, even used!

After I ordered those, I realized my phone that was manufactured during the stone age wasn't holding a charge anymore.  Since DH washed his phone and we have yet to replace it (work pays for a phone, so it was really overkill to have two phones), I bought a new phone and case for me and a battery replacement kit for my old phone to transfer his number to.  Then we'll move his number to a Tracfone or Airvoice prepaid plan and let it be the backup phone we leave with the kids when they are dropped off somewhere.  

I'm trying to hold off going to the store until Wednesday or Thursday, except for the errands I'm running with DS10 today.   I need some oddball ingredients to make DH some homemade GF "twizzlers" as one of his Christmas baking treats (he's not a huge cookie fan).

Oh, and probably not a frugal win because even homemade gluten free stuff can be pricey, but I managed to figure out gluten free cinnamon rolls this weekend!  They are big and fluffy and taste just like "Quiver's recipe" that floats around here a couple times a year!  Instead of buying prepackaged breakfast for Christmas (DH has insisted on NO DISHES on Christmas morning), I can make these the night before.  Although just to appease DH, I'm going to put them in a disposable pan and use disposable plates and utensils for serving.  More trash than I like to accumulate, but I'll make it up to the Earth next year.

• Like 1

Well, we’ve basically spent almost nothing on food this past week, as the whole family except for me has been super sick.  Also, no money spent on gas as we haven’t left the house.  Most of them are feeling better now, but if ds6 doesn’t start keeping more down soon, I’m taking him in to see if he needs an iv.  😞  He has made some improvement, though, so I’m thinking that won’t be necessary.

I also earned some money on DietBet.com.  I lost some weight over the past month and will be getting a payout within a few days.  I found that my frugality is an effective motivator—knowing that I already put the money in and it’s up to me whether I get it back or not really kept me on track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

The weekend went from "pretty frugal" to "horrifically expensive" in one fell swoop.

Mine too!!! I'm actually really pissed about it.  Dh and I decided we were going to do one gift each this year since we are going to universal studios right before Christmas and we didn't want to go overboard with the amount spent. Well yesterday while I was paying the credit card bill I noticed a $200 amazon purchase.  Knowing it wasn't me, I had to check with dh because I wanted to make sure a card hadn't been compromised.   He confirmed it was a purchase he made.  So then I told him it better not all be for me because I'd be pissed.  It wasn't,  he bought stuff for his team at work too.  but even that pisses me off because he's never done that before and of all years why pick the year we specifically said we weren't spending a lot because of our universal trip.  It has completely made me want to be done with Christmas because I try to budget everything so carefully and he just blows it all in one dumb decision.  He doesn't do this often but really December is the worst time to do it because of everything else that we can't avoid spending on.  Plus, he has an eye doctors appointment so that'll likely be another $200, maybe a bit less.

So I'm pretty grumpy today about money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Well, we’ve basically spent almost nothing on food this past week, as the whole family except for me has been super sick.  Also, no money spent on gas as we haven’t left the house.  Most of them are feeling better now, but if ds6 doesn’t start keeping more down soon, I’m taking him in to see if he needs an iv.  😞  He has made some improvement, though, so I’m thinking that won’t be necessary.

I also earned some money on DietBet.com.  I lost some weight over the past month and will be getting a payout within a few days.  I found that my frugality is an effective motivator—knowing that I already put the money in and it’s up to me whether I get it back or not really kept me on track.

Oh man.  I am sorry everyone is sick.  But you do save when nobody is up for doing things. 

13 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Mine too!!! I'm actually really pissed about it.  Dh and I decided we were going to do one gift each this year since we are going to universal studios right before Christmas and we didn't want to go overboard with the amount spent. Well yesterday while I was paying the credit card bill I noticed a $200 amazon purchase.  Knowing it wasn't me, I had to check with dh because I wanted to make sure a card hadn't been compromised.   He confirmed it was a purchase he made.  So then I told him it better not all be for me because I'd be pissed.  It wasn't,  he bought stuff for his team at work too.  but even that pisses me off because he's never done that before and of all years why pick the year we specifically said we weren't spending a lot because of our universal trip.  It has completely made me want to be done with Christmas because I try to budget everything so carefully and he just blows it all in one dumb decision.  He doesn't do this often but really December is the worst time to do it because of everything else that we can't avoid spending on.  Plus, he has an eye doctors appointment so that'll likely be another $200, maybe a bit less.

Ugh.  He spent $200 on gifts for people at work?   Some days I am pissy about money too.  I think I need to keep my eyes on the big picture more.   Our money mess this weekend to make you feel better.  My 4 older kids and dh are in the Nutcracker ballet with their ballet school.  Their ballet school is 1 hour each way from our house.  This week was tech week.  So they had rehearsals Saturday from 8-8pm, Sunday 10-4.  Tuesday-Thursday 3-11pm and then a show Friday morning.  They would have gotten home and to sleep so late and would have had to leave at 6:45 in the morning latest.  So we did what we did last year.   Got a hotel room.  Except this year some of us came home because one kid wasn't in the show the next morning and we have a dog.  

Well I forgot to ask my 6 year old as she got out of the car if she had her ballet shoes.   She left them in the car and dh didn't notice until I was home.  She also changed before we left so she didn't have her tights or leo.  So dh ran around like crazy the morning before buying her all brand new stuff.  She lost a pair of shoes about a month ago too.  Another little girl took them on accident. 

I was so upset, but I figure hey they will end up using the new shoes, tights, and leo.  

I am just so glad to have this week over, they also had shoes on Saturday and Sunday.  

We did save money bringing food everyday.  

16 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Ugh, I’m sorry.  Some years DH gets the idea to “surprise me” at Christmas, which never works because a) he refuses to shop in-store with cash and I watch the credit card closely for fraud, b) he asks me so many specific questions that it’s impossible to not know what he bought, c) I always get the packages in the mail because I’m home and we have no way to hide them from each other, and d) it always screws up my budget!

Not sure what to do about coworkers for DH.  He’s not great at this kind of gift giving/obligation either (total deer-in-headlights, prefers to just pretend he forgot), so I help.  Last year I made homemade candies, but someone on his team was just released from the hospital after diabetes complications, so sugary stuff is out.  I might look for some packets of spice blends from a local spice shop.  Maybe next year I’ll grow my own herbs for it.  Doesn’t help now!

22 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Ugh, I’m sorry.  Some years DH gets the idea to “surprise me” at Christmas, which never works because a) he refuses to shop in-store with cash and I watch the credit card closely for fraud, b) he asks me so many specific questions that it’s impossible to not know what he bought, c) I always get the packages in the mail because I’m home and we have no way to hide them from each other, and d) it always screws up my budget!

Not sure what to do about coworkers for DH.  He’s not great at this kind of gift giving/obligation either (total deer-in-headlights, prefers to just pretend he forgot), so I help.  Last year I made homemade candies, but someone on his team was just released from the hospital after diabetes complications, so sugary stuff is out.  I might look for some packets of spice blends from a local spice shop.  Maybe next year I’ll grow my own herbs for it.  Doesn’t help now!

Oh, I always see the purchases on our credit card because I'm looking for fraud too.  He is pretty good with surprising me on the actual day minus the fact that I always know how much he spent on me, but I don't generally care about that.  He is usually really good about reigning in his spending aside from around Christmas, which I usually just ignore and then deal with in January.  But this year we specifically talked about keeping spending down because of our trip and he decides to do something he's NEVER done before and go and buy gifts for coworkers.  Only my dh would think that way, ha.

He is not the boss and the boss gives out bonuses around this time so it isn't like his coworkers aren't getting anything so I don't know why he decided he wanted/needed to do this. It is just mind boggling.  I did chew him out last night for the purchases and how stressful it is to be the only one who knows anything about our finances.  But that only ended in me feeling like a jackass and it left him not really talking or solving the problem.  Thankfully, we are on good terms now, he'll likely need a day or two to process a response to my blow up. I hate money!

Tis the weekend for spending too much?

DH got cash back at the grocery store so we could buy a wreath from the kids organization down the road.  It was late and he went to hand me the money today, and.......well, guess who went on autopilot and forgot to take the cash from the slot at the register?  D'oh!  There went $40 to make someone else's Christmas a little nicer.  Add that to the eating out before that because neither of us planned right (we would have needed a 4pm dinner to make it to an event on time), and the quick stop at the grocery on the way home where 1 item became 6 and... at least it was an enjoyable weekend? 😄

37 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh.  He spent $200 on gifts for people at work?   Some days I am pissy about money too.  I think I need to keep my eyes on the big picture more.   Our money mess this weekend to make you feel better.  My 4 older kids and dh are in the Nutcracker ballet with their ballet school.  Their ballet school is 1 hour each way from our house.  This week was tech week.  So they had rehearsals Saturday from 8-8pm, Sunday 10-4.  Tuesday-Thursday 3-11pm and then a show Friday morning.  They would have gotten home and to sleep so late and would have had to leave at 6:45 in the morning latest.  So we did what we did last year.   Got a hotel room.  Except this year some of us came home because one kid wasn't in the show the next morning and we have a dog.  

Well I forgot to ask my 6 year old as she got out of the car if she had her ballet shoes.   She left them in the car and dh didn't notice until I was home.  She also changed before we left so she didn't have her tights or leo.  So dh ran around like crazy the morning before buying her all brand new stuff.  She lost a pair of shoes about a month ago too.  Another little girl took them on accident. 

I was so upset, but I figure hey they will end up using the new shoes, tights, and leo.  

I am just so glad to have this week over, they also had shoes on Saturday and Sunday.  

We did save money bringing food everyday.  

Not $200, I'm pretty sure he also bought my gift in that order.  But I'm also pretty sure he didn't stick to the one gift rule for me.  I don't know specifically what he spent on his coworkers.  But he knows that if he spent more than $100 on me this year I'd be pissed since we talked about that already.  So that means he spent over $100 on them.  I can't not explain his thought process other than to say when he gets an idea in his head he doesn't think about the whole picture.  He also is terrible with impulse shopping. So, I think since he couldn't impulse shop on me, he just did it for someone else.  I gotta stop thinking about it because I keep getting pissed about it.

Oh my, one of my children would have done the same thing your 6 year old did.  Somehow for trips that are only 5 minutes away we don't run into those problems though. Everyone always has exactly what they need.   

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Did he hand the gifts out yet?? 

No, they haven't even come in the mail yet.  I don't want to tell him to cancel the order but I sure as hell hope he does.  I told him that I likely wouldn't be able to get anything for him for Christmas because he blew our budget more than I could make work. Usually I have a lot of wiggle room with our budget so blowing the budget isn't a big deal.  But our trip to Universal is on Saturday and while the hotel and tickets are paid for gas, food, and any other spending isn't paid for.  It is budgeted for but that has basically left no wiggle room in our budget. So, it is up to him what he wants to do.

14 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Great deals on legos from Hip2save

Through December 15th, Target is offering 20% off select LEGO Sets with these Cartwheel offers…

20% off LEGO Friends Car Wash

20% off LEGO Bean There, Donut That

20% off LEGO Star Wars Sand Speeder

20% off LEGO Uni-kitty Fairground Fun

To purchase online, first apply the Cartwheel Savings Offers and then add the item to your cart and select free in-store pickup at checkout.

Even sweeter, also through December 15th, you can score a FREE $10 Target gift card when you spend $50 on select LEGO toys – both online and in-store!

Plus, Target REDcard holder save an additional 5%!

Always check Target's website when buying Legos!  Some sets are much cheaper in their site and they'll price match it at the register.  

32 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Not $200, I'm pretty sure he also bought my gift in that order.  But I'm also pretty sure he didn't stick to the one gift rule for me.  I don't know specifically what he spent on his coworkers.  But he knows that if he spent more than $100 on me this year I'd be pissed since we talked about that already.  So that means he spent over $100 on them.  I can't not explain his thought process other than to say when he gets an idea in his head he doesn't think about the whole picture.  He also is terrible with impulse shopping. So, I think since he couldn't impulse shop on me, he just did it for someone else.  I gotta stop thinking about it because I keep getting pissed about it.

Oh my, one of my children would have done the same thing your 6 year old did.  Somehow for trips that are only 5 minutes away we don't run into those problems though. Everyone always has exactly what they need.   

Yeah I don't blame my 6 year old at all.  It was my fault.  It was 10 at night, she was so tired.   We all drove in one car and I dropped them at the hotel.  It was just nuts at the moment.  She was actually trying to get them, but I made her get out of the road.  Then it just got forgotten to run back and get them.  I always ask her every time we leave if she has her stuff.  And of course the one time I don't. 

8 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

We have had the worst luck shopping for someone on the church Giving Tree. This child need clothes. First, The Children’s Place canceled part of my order— the part I needed! Then after some hunting I found an item in stock at their store. I chose store pick up. They canceled that, too!! Target had that save $10 when you spent $50. I added together stuff for her and my household (plates on sale I’ve been eyeing. We currently seem to be missing plates from our set and honestly they don’t fit great in the dishwasher and they take a lot of space stacked on the shelf). Ok so I waited til after midnight in case a Green Monday deal hit the site. According to my email confirmation I placed the order at like 3 am. Welp, yesterday I saw that the clothing had gone down in price. Total difference? About $10. To me, that’s significant. So, I called Target and asked if they would honor a price adjustment as I tried to get the GM deals and none showed up til after I shopped. They were cool about it and will put the difference back on my card. I was willing to simply pick out another item to reach the spend $50 threshold but they said that my promotion would not be affected. Whoo!! This was time sensitive, too as the church needs the items by Dec 16. 

Dh sold his Apple Watch. Waiting for the PayPal pending period. Money will go toward our deep clean in the new house. 

Ugh on all the issues just trying to get the orders done.  That is awesome that Target is being great to you.  I always order things and then they drop in price.  ARGH   Some places are not as nice as Target. 

Yay for selling the watch.   I love selling stuff from your house.   It makes getting rid of things so much fun. 

• Like 1

Omg!!! So, not only did dh spend a bunch of money we hadn't budgeted for but he accidentally had the packages mailed to our old address.  He didn't realize until after it was delivered.  Then he had the nerve to ask if I could go to the old house to try retrieve his packages.  It was a good thing this was all via text because I may have laughed in his face if he asked me in person.  Instead, I just said, I have too much to do at the house today so you better try to sneak out of work to get it.  He works less than a mile from our old house and I'm a good 30 minutes away from there.  Had I been a bit closer I may have helped him out after poking fun at him a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh no! Is the home occupied? Someone might think he’s a porch pirate. 

Yes, it is occupied and when he went to retrieve one of the packages at 9:30pm he certainly felt shady. But he had left a note with the new owner and she text him that she'd leave it our for him to grab. Plus, we owned the house for 11 years do all the neighbors know us. They would have likely assumed his actions correctly if they saw him grabbing a package.

I still want to laugh at him though but I won't. At least not until both packages are safely in his possession.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Yes, it is occupied and when he went to retrieve one of the packages at 9:30pm he certainly felt shady. But he had left a note with the new owner and she text him that she'd leave it our for him to grab. Plus, we owned the house for 11 years do all the neighbors know us. They would have likely assumed his actions correctly if they saw him grabbing a package.

I still want to laugh at him though but I won't. At least not until both packages are safely in his possession.

I would want to laugh too. 

• Like 1

Just saw this on Hip2save

Through December 18th, Verizon is hosting 7 days of holiday rewards for Verizon Up Rewards Members and offering up a different special offer each day – and each of these rewards will not require a credit to redeem. Awesome!

Today only, December 13th, if you are a Verizon Up Rewards Member, check your account for a possible FREE $10 off ANY Accessory offer valid in-store or online! As just one idea, use this offer to score a completely FREE PopSocket!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with everyone. Life has been crazy.

Frugal goal of the week: Somehow make my home look like a home and not a demolition site for Christmas. I think I will be able to move back Tuesday!

Currently, there is a gaping black spider web hole where the brick chimney decoration ran to the ceiling. We also had to rip out sheetrock and paneling in my room to reach floir joists to jack up house and fix the wall.  Most permanent cosmetic fixes must be done in the future. I will be happy with structural fixes for now.

So far my mom is loaning me a quilt to hang over fireplace (after a lot of vacuuming and making sure there are no nails or brackets sticking out) so that will help a lot. Hopefully I will come up with more ideas like that that are pretty much free.

Other than a lot of cleaning the bedroom will probably be ignored for awhile. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Have been reading but not posting.  My brain is like "SQUIRREL"   I read and while reading it triggers a thought of something I need to look up, add to a list or go do.  And there goes my brain.

I am trying to be frugal as possible.  It would help if I would remember to use ebates.  I usually remember sometime AFTER I have ordered.  Not good.

• Like 2