Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

A library book issue?

Or is this an issue with my kids?

Short story no background is that lately, we seem to have an issue with pages falling out of library books.  And I am not sure how to handle it.

Long story...

A couple of years ago, we had a library book incident in our previous location.  DD10 took a library book to the dining room table and ultimately milk was spilled all over.  I had a well controlled, designed to be a teachable moment..."fit" over the damage to the book and explained to all the kids that we have to pay for the book and we needed to own up to our mistakes.  I also made DD10 take that particular book to the librarians and apologize for not following the rules.  The biggest impression was on her, but all the kids got the importance of taking care of the books.

Since then we have only had a few minor issues.  Primary one being DD8 trying to put them in her mouth.  A factor in her ASD diagnosis is that she has a thing about chewing on stuff and paper is one of the last things for us to be working through (years ago, it was actual drywall that she was eating.  We have been through that, wood, nuts and bolts, etc. etc....Anyway..) so we worked through the paper thing and mostly we have been pretty good.  DS 6 has still had some trouble keeping the library books in the library book bag.  We have a specific place to keep all the library books, in one specific bag with a huge Stitch Cartoon on it, to keep it super obvious that this is the home of library books.  And we did end up with one taken outside and left in the snow.  Only one though....everything else has been well treated and taken care of.  SO, the short of the background is that we have had problems in the past, but I feel we have worked through 99% of them now.

SO...last week we went to the library.  We had a 2 or 3 of books that we renewed, and then each kid picked out a few more.

Two of the books we renewed, AND 2 of the new books we got have pages falling out.  These are all younger/picture type books.  A Pinkalicious, a Level 1 Curious George...those sorts of things.  All of them are glue bound paperback type books.  So, the chapter books that DD10 is reading and the almost chapter books that DD8 has are fine.  The ones with pages falling out are the little books.  Which could point to DS6 being the problem, but we haven't ever had this problem with him and books.  Even his most favorite book ever (The Monster At The End of This Book) only shows "use damage" vs damage due to mistreatment.....when a kid reads a book multiple times a day for months and takes it to bed nightly, you expect it to be well loved.  A book right from the library....I haven't ever dealt with this particular problem.

All of these books are from the same library.  I am sort of inclined to think the problem is at the library.  It's a newly remodeled library so maybe the books were in storage that wasn't kind to the glue? (FTR, we have a couple with staples rather than glue and those are fine.)  On the one hand, if my kids were not careful, I have no problem paying for the books (just like we paid for the one left in the snow) but if the problem is at the library, I don't really want to pay for 4 books.  

I could run a glue bead down binding and just slot the pages back in, I dunno if that would work or not.   Or, bring it up to the library but, dang, paying for 4 books is a lot if it's not our fault.

Thoughts?

Lots of books from the library, esp newer paperback ones like Pinkalicious and leveled books, are more cheaply made than the older special library bound ones. I'd point it out to the librarians when I turned them in so they can fix it the way they want to (they might have a special process they like), but I wouldn't offer to pay for them if I didn't know it was our fault. And I have paid for several "lost" books that were eventually found hidden in our home somewhere so it's not like I'm a cheapskate who refuses to pay for what we honestly owe.

Edited by Momto5inIN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Momto5inIN said:

Lots of books from the library, esp newer paperback ones like Pinkalicious and leveled books, are more cheaply made than the older special library bound ones. I'd point it out to the librarians when I turned them in so they can fix it the way they want to (they might have a special process they like), but I wouldn't offer to pay for them if I didn't know it was our fault. And I have paid for several "lost" books that were eventually found hidden in our home somewhere so it's not like I'm a cheapskate who refuses to pay for what we honestly owe.

This.  There are also several hardbound that are notorious for the same issue: Hugo Cabret, book 5 of Harry Potter...these are ones that a librarian KNOWS it is the book because 15 out of 16 copies come back in with the exact same issue.

Do not fix it.  Libraries use a specific glue (similar to Modge Podge but for book binding) and acid-free tape if the book warrants it.  If it's a cheaper book they may just buy a new copy.  But don't fix normal wear and tear on your own unless you're familiar with the methods.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

This.  There are also several hardbound that are notorious for the same issue: Hugo Cabret, book 5 of Harry Potter...these are ones that a librarian KNOWS it is the book because 15 out of 16 copies come back in with the exact same issue.

Do not fix it.  Libraries use a specific glue (similar to Modge Podge but for book binding) and acid-free tape if the book warrants it.  If it's a cheaper book they may just buy a new copy.  But don't fix normal wear and tear on your own unless you're familiar with the methods.

Scholastic almost always printed paperbacks until Harry Potter. They have absolutely no idea how to produce a hardcover book - that's why they always fall apart.

I guess what I would do would depend on the culture of the library you are working with. Are they rules-based or people-based? If they are people based, then let them know the books were damaged when you took them out. It might help them be more careful about looking books over. But if they are rules-based and don't give you slack for anything, I would be inclined to fix them myself. Since these are cheap books to begin with, I don't think there's a big deal to fixing them yourself.

• Like 1

FYI,  This is coming from someone who spent a few years on a library board and as a volunteer, in another country but.....for all paperbacks the average life span as a circulating paperback book is roughly 6 patrons for our Borough.  That is right 6.  The sun does a real number on book glue so all those people reading in the garden.  Reading while in the bathtub is another issue, the humidity destroys the glue.  We typically do not charge when a book is damaged as long as it is returned.

• Like 1

Let the library know when you turn them back in. They will fix them with their special glue. If the previous patron would have noted the page was starting to fall out, you wouldn't have this issue.

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

FYI,  This is coming from someone who spent a few years on a library board and as a volunteer, in another country but.....for all paperbacks the average life span as a circulating paperback book is roughly 6 patrons for our Borough.  That is right 6.  The sun does a real number on book glue so all those people reading in the garden.  Reading while in the bathtub is another issue, the humidity destroys the glue.  We typically do not charge when a book is damaged as long as it is returned.

6 is all? How long to hardcovers tend to survive?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rachel said:

6 is all? How long to hardcovers tend to survive?

I can’t remember the exact statistic,  I was in shock about the paperbacks!  😕.  Longer,  quite a bit longer.  Part of the longer was that people tend to treat them a bit better.  Not as much reading in the tub apparently..... all our paperbacks are placed in a really nice plastic protective cover too. I honestly thought they lastest a really long time.

That being said the circulation aim, especially with paperbacks tend to be getting to popular heavily requested books to the patrons, timely.  So buying more cheaper was good value,  even knowing they had a limited life.......a computer program took care of those decisions.  In the end we only wanted a couple at most of the majority of books to store in the collection so would keep a couple of hardcovers.  The aim seemed to be to reduce over time to one.......at one point we were missing several in the Harry Potter series because of these policies.  Seriously Harry Potter not being available in a big system!  I learned a lot....didn’t agree with a lot.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Or is this an issue with my kids?

Short story no background is that lately, we seem to have an issue with pages falling out of library books.  And I am not sure how to handle it.

Long story...

A couple of years ago, we had a library book incident in our previous location.  DD10 took a library book to the dining room table and ultimately milk was spilled all over.  I had a well controlled, designed to be a teachable moment..."fit" over the damage to the book and explained to all the kids that we have to pay for the book and we needed to own up to our mistakes.  I also made DD10 take that particular book to the librarians and apologize for not following the rules.  The biggest impression was on her, but all the kids got the importance of taking care of the books.

Since then we have only had a few minor issues.  Primary one being DD8 trying to put them in her mouth.  A factor in her ASD diagnosis is that she has a thing about chewing on stuff and paper is one of the last things for us to be working through (years ago, it was actual drywall that she was eating.  We have been through that, wood, nuts and bolts, etc. etc....Anyway..) so we worked through the paper thing and mostly we have been pretty good.  DS 6 has still had some trouble keeping the library books in the library book bag.  We have a specific place to keep all the library books, in one specific bag with a huge Stitch Cartoon on it, to keep it super obvious that this is the home of library books.  And we did end up with one taken outside and left in the snow.  Only one though....everything else has been well treated and taken care of.  SO, the short of the background is that we have had problems in the past, but I feel we have worked through 99% of them now.

SO...last week we went to the library.  We had a 2 or 3 of books that we renewed, and then each kid picked out a few more.

Two of the books we renewed, AND 2 of the new books we got have pages falling out.  These are all younger/picture type books.  A Pinkalicious, a Level 1 Curious George...those sorts of things.  All of them are glue bound paperback type books.  So, the chapter books that DD10 is reading and the almost chapter books that DD8 has are fine.  The ones with pages falling out are the little books.  Which could point to DS6 being the problem, but we haven't ever had this problem with him and books.  Even his most favorite book ever (The Monster At The End of This Book) only shows "use damage" vs damage due to mistreatment.....when a kid reads a book multiple times a day for months and takes it to bed nightly, you expect it to be well loved.  A book right from the library....I haven't ever dealt with this particular problem.

All of these books are from the same library.  I am sort of inclined to think the problem is at the library.  It's a newly remodeled library so maybe the books were in storage that wasn't kind to the glue? (FTR, we have a couple with staples rather than glue and those are fine.)  On the one hand, if my kids were not careful, I have no problem paying for the books (just like we paid for the one left in the snow) but if the problem is at the library, I don't really want to pay for 4 books.  

I could run a glue bead down binding and just slot the pages back in, I dunno if that would work or not.   Or, bring it up to the library but, dang, paying for 4 books is a lot if it's not our fault.

Thoughts?

Don’t try to fix them yourself. This is very very common in children’s books in the library. Often they’re caught and repaired or discarded upon check-in, but sometimes they slip through. When you return them, take them to the desk and let them know they have loose pages. They will appreciate knowing, so they don’t return to circulation like that. I highly doubt you will be expected to pay for them, since you didn’t cause the damage, and loose pages/binding are just a common problem in library books. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Library books get a lot of wear and tear. Unless you actively dropped them in the tub or used them to play fetch with the dog, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was told by my library to tell them when something was wrong and to not fix it on my own. So, I have done just that in the past. I feel like that has lead to bigger issues. I have reported a couple books to them. TWO books have had a ripped page. I was told that they would tape it, no big deal. Several books that I have returned have not been checked back in, so I have pointed that out and they look and find the book. The last time I went I got a very large book. Knowing that the binding would be fragile, we were very careful of it. When we went to return it, I dropped it in the book return. I had a sleeping baby and did not want to wake them up just to go inside to return the book. I got a bill for $32.00! Saying that the cover came off and I needed to pay half the value of the book. I explaind that it was not off when I dropped it off. They said without a picture of it at the time of drop off I had no prof that it was not me. I asked if it could be because it was a large book dropped in the return. Thay said, maybe, but we won`t know and I am responsible for the costs. 

So, yes, I will not say anything about repairs again. I will taoe or glue it myself. 

The only time I ever had to pay for a damaged book was when one was left in the backseat of the car and we left the windows down in a torrential downpour. It was absolutely trashed and unusable!