Menu

Grammar FTWTM, Green Book, Page 85

Lizzytra

In the sentences: 

1. They are being.

and 

2. They are being loud. 

The book states "are" is a state of being verb. Is "being" also a state of being verb? If so, do they both become linking verbs in the second sentence? (I don't know if it just wasn't labeled or if it is another part of speech)

This is not necessary information to complete the lesson, but I am curious. I hope you folks don't mind as I might have other questions as we go through the book! Thank you!  

#1 is an incomplete sentence.

In #2, "are" is the verb, "being" is the linking verb.
("they" is the subject, "loud" is the adjective in the predicate that modifies the subject noun)

If told that I *must* label #1 as though it were a complete sentence, then I suppose I would attempt to justify "being" as an adjective in the predicate that is modifying the subject "they" (similar to #2). Or, possibly in #1, another attempt might be to label "being" as a noun, as in a predicate nominative (noun that is in the predicate that renames the subject) -- example: "They are jerks." In that case, "jerks" is a noun that renames the subject "they".

Another thought for #1 -- perhaps it's a typo with a left-out word and was meant to read: "They are human beings." In that case, "beings" is the predicate nominative renaming the subject "they, and "human" is the adjective modifying "beings".

But again, #1 as it stands is an incomplete sentence. Is the student supposed to fill in a blank to make it a complete sentence??

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I wasn't aware there was a green book?? There is a purple book and a red book. Which one are you using? Are you referring to something in the student workbook, or the core instructor book (which is green)?

I am so sorry! Yes, the instructor text. In my defense I did have a couple kids trying to speak to me as I typed. 🙂 I just thought if I didn't ask the question when I was thinking of it I might forget! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

#1 is an incomplete sentence.

In #2, "are" is the verb, "being" is the linking verb.
("they" is the subject, "loud" is the adjective in the predicate that modifies the subject noun)

If told that I *must* label #1 as though it were a complete sentence, then I suppose I would attempt to justify "being" as an adjective in the predicate that is modifying the subject "they" (similar to #2). Or, possibly in #1, another attempt might be to label "being" as a noun, as in a predicate nominative (noun that is in the predicate that renames the subject) -- example: "They are jerks." In that case, "jerks" is a noun that renames the subject "they".

Another thought for #1 -- perhaps it's a typo with a left-out word and was meant to read: "They are human beings." In that case, "beings" is the predicate nominative renaming the subject "they, and "human" is the adjective modifying "beings".

But again, #1 as it stands is an incomplete sentence. Is the student supposed to fill in a blank to make it a complete sentence??

The student must only label the linking verbs and the predicate adjectives in this section. In the first sentence: "They are being" the book says that "are" is a state of being verb. Then, in the following sentence: "They are being loud" is says that "are" has become a linking verb as "loud" is a predicate adjective. The book is demonstrating to the student that by add a predicate adjective the state of being verb becomes a linking verb. During our lesson one of my kids asked me about the word "being" in the sentences, like what part of speech they are, and I wasn't sure what to tell them. I must admit, I am learning some of these things along with them! Okay, I'm learning a LOT along with them. 🙂 

Does this make sense: 

1. They are being. 

They: subject

are: helping verb 

being: state of being verb

2. They are being loud. 

They: Subject

are: helping verb 

being: becomes a linking verb b/c of addition of the predicate adjective

loud: predicate adjective

To note: this is all ME. The kids have long given up caring. I'm just trying to "get" our lessons as we go through them. 

And, thank you all so much for your help, and to any who offer suggestions. 

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

You will learn more about this later but "are being" is the progressive present tense.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/tenses/present_progressive.htm

GWTM is the most intense grammar we have ever used, and it greatly ramps up at about week 16.  FYI.  We had already done FLL 1-4 before we did GWTM.  

So then "are being" is a state of being verb? And then when the predicate adjective is added, both words, making up the progressive present tense, become linking verbs? In the book the word "being" doesn't appear to be labeled as a verb, but I feel like I kind of grasp what you are saying....

Thank you, by the way!

3 minutes ago, Lizzytra said:

So then "are being" is a state of being verb? And then when the predicate adjective is added, both words, making up the progressive present tense, become linking verbs? In the book the word "being" doesn't appear to be labeled as a verb, but I feel like I kind of grasp what you are saying....

Thank you, by the way!

They both are state of being verbs and, when used in combination like this, indicate the progressive present tense.