Menu

Archimedes Book & Extension Actvities

In an effort to get more science done at home (esp. through literature) with my 9 yr old,I just bought 'Archimedes and the Door of Science'. I haven't gotten it yet but saw an Amazon review that mentioned a Scholastic STEM kit that would complement the book content. However, I cannot track down this kit. Can you recommend any ready-made hands-on kits or easy-to-implement activities that would bring to life this guy's work? 

Also, any other title recommendations of scientist's biographies (that blend 'story' with science) are welcome. 

1 hour ago, OKBud said:

This isn't going to help you at all with your question, but I wanted to point out Picture Perfect Science Lessons in case you haven't yet heard of it 🙂 There's a ~through trade books one too. 

I'd LOVE to see a kit for Archimedes.

Thanks for the additional resource idea. I'll for sure check it out!

Might this be it?

Actual kit: Milestones in Science (gr. 5+) -- 100 experiments covering 140 scientists/inventors; examples: build a: telescope (Kepler); spectroscope (von Fraunhofer); phonograph (Edison); Steam Engine (Watts).

Book of experiments by scientists through the ages: The Book of Potentially Catastrophic Experiments: 50 Experiments for Daring Young Scientists (IMO, this one wins the prize for best title and art design 😜)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2