Menu

What's with the ads?

klmama

Inflatable Christmas decorations

I usually don't pay much attention to inflatables.  There always seem to be some snowmen or Santas around, but today I saw some surprises: a huge Christmas dragon (???) and a Santa in an outhouse.  What Christmas inflatables have surprised you? 

Armed Santas- like hunting Santas in deer stands and what not with shotguns or rifles (hard to tell with inflatables). I am not sure if Santa is knocking off the reindeer or what the exact message is there. But they have them at Home Depot. And also Santa dressed in camo holding a rifle. It's just an odd Christmas vibe I've never seen until this year. 

ETA: like this- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUXZLHY/185-7747617-7273029?ie=UTF8&seller=A2S1NUHUTTS3G8&sn=D.A.V. Electronics

There are several varieties apparently we've seen at all of the Sporting Goods type stores around. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Armed Santas- like hunting Santas in deer stands and what not with shotguns or rifles (hard to tell with inflatables). I am not sure if Santa is knocking off the reindeer or what the exact message is there. But they have them at Home Depot. And also Santa dressed in camo holding a rifle. It's just an odd Christmas vibe I've never seen until this year. 

ETA: like this- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUXZLHY/185-7747617-7273029?ie=UTF8&seller=A2S1NUHUTTS3G8&sn=D.A.V. Electronics

There are several varieties apparently we've seen at all of the Sporting Goods type stores around. 

That's truly odd...I mean peace and goodwill and all that and now Santa is hunting??? He is supposed to be friends with all the critters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liz CA said:

That's truly odd...I mean peace and goodwill and all that and now Santa is hunting??? He is supposed to be friends with all the critters.

I know, right?!!? There is an armed Frosty too. Because Frosty the Snowman needs a rifle? I mean, I live in Texas. Everyone has guns. But the inflatables seriously don't need them! It's just such an odd thing.

On a positive note I've only seen them in the stores, not in anyone's yard. But it's still early. 

• Confused 1

I once saw a *huge* inflatable nativity.

I'd love a dragon!  Though I don't like the inflatibles because they're either using energy 100% of the time or deflated half the time.

Just now, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

No, no, this is some creature "dressed" in white. It's not Frosty. He does not have a button nose and his eyes are not made out of coal. He doesn't have a silk hat either. It's an IMPOSTER of the worst kind.

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I’m guessing this one’s regional. 🤣

• Like 2

There’s a house near us that has a “mooning Santa” inflatable.  It drops its drawers every 20-30 seconds, and it says “‘Merry Christmas” across the, um, backside of the underpants.  I think it’s my kids’ absolute favorite part of the holiday season.  We’ve been on “Santa Butt Watch” since the day after Thanksgiving.  I saw it in their yard yesterday, not yet inflated though.  Soon kids, very soon.

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I once saw a *huge* inflatable nativity.

I'd love a dragon!  Though I don't like the inflatibles because they're either using energy 100% of the time or deflated half the time.

I looked on Amazon and I found the dragon!  Here it is.  And, being Amazon, it also had the outhouse Santa.  It even has a whole bunch of nativities.  Honestly, I'm appalled at the cost of these things.  I had no idea they were so pricey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Eww. The reindeer looks scared! I don't think it's funny, but it would fit right in where I live, unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing, though. It's interesting seeing the odd stuff people buy!

I was surprised by the number of inflatables in one yard on my trip to Indiana. I first passed the house and it looked like the apocalypse had occurred--must has been 20 of them, all deflated. We passed the house again, and they'd all resurrected. I can't imagine paying their electricity bills!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a couple of houses here which seem to be in some sort of unspoken contest about who can have the most Christmas inflatables in their yard.
One family has chosen to feature a lot of Snoopy this year. I'm not sure why Snoopy flying a plane (moving propeller too!) is Christmasy, but hey. They also have the UT cow mascot out there, but this is Texas, and any UT or TAMU symbols are always in season.  

• Like 2

There is a historical museum near us located in a beautiful, old building with an original log cabin next door. Their Christmas decor used to be an old sleigh and large evergreen wreaths, but they've replaced those with inflatables. The word 'incongruous' pops into my head every time I see it.

• Like 3

I'm not usually a fan of inflatables, but there is a family in town that has the Christmas dragon and it is pretty cute. They also have two other dragons for Halloween.

• Like 2

I have to say that all inflatables still surprise me.  I mean, it surprises me that they're so popular!  They're big and gangly and they wobble and fall down in the wind.  I've never really understood the draw.  Give me old fashioned Christmas lights and a wooden Santa on a sleigh.

We are one of those with yards with several inflatables 😜  Santa, minion, snoopy, penguin etc.   And some lights around the yard.   I love it and I think at least a few in the neighborhood like it.

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

We have a couple of houses here which seem to be in some sort of unspoken contest about who can have the most Christmas inflatables in their yard.
One family has chosen to feature a lot of Snoopy this year. I'm not sure why Snoopy flying a plane (moving propeller too!) is Christmasy, but hey. They also have the UT cow mascot out there, but this is Texas, and any UT or TAMU symbols are always in season.  

Charlie brown is Christmasy because of the Christmas special. And Snoopy is part of the Charlie Brown world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

Snoopy and the Red Baron were part of the WW I Christmas Truce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I have to say that all inflatables still surprise me.  I mean, it surprises me that they're so popular!  They're big and gangly and they wobble and fall down in the wind.  I've never really understood the draw.  Give me old fashioned Christmas lights and a wooden Santa on a sleigh.

Ease and storage! Lights are time consuming to hang; large, wooden decorations are heavy and hard to store. Inflatable Santa? Just plug 'em in! 😉

FWIW, I've never had a desire to have an inflatable until I saw the Christmas Dragon!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Ease and storage! Lights are time consuming to hang; large, wooden decorations are heavy and hard to store. Inflatable Santa? Just plug 'em in! 😉

FWIW, I've never had a desire to have an inflatable until I saw the Christmas Dragon!

You have some good points there!

10 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Ah, I see you beat me to it!

This is one of my husband's favorite holiday songs.

We had it on a 45 vinyl when I was growing up! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I absolutely understand the appeal, although they are not my favorite decorations to view. (And I do find it downright disturbing to see them sad and flattened, strewn about on people's yards or roofs.

I didn't put up individual lights this year, though, because I really just don't have the time or energy. So I've been collecting light-up animals. Like the inflatables, they require really minimal set-up, make the yard look cheerful quickly and can be stored quickly and easily at the end of the season.

• Like 2