Menu

Math Sequence

I am not sure what I should do for math. My son took algebra 1 in 9th grade. He is taking geometry in 10th. I am planning on him taking algebra 2 as an 11th grader. I am wondering what I should do for math his senior year. I had been planning on him taking pre-calculus, but I am wondering if that is the best choice. Another option that I have considered is for him to take a trigonometry course fall semester of his senior year and then take the math placement test and take whatever math he places into at the local CC in the spring. I wasn't very concerned about this thinking that we still have plenty of time, but in the last month he has started mentioning that he might to get an engineering degree. I don't know if he will stick with that idea or not, but I want to do what I can to help him prepare for that if he still wants to pursue an engineering degree in a few years. Anything I should keep in mind when deciding between these options? Any other options that I should consider? He has mentioned wanting to start algebra 2 over the summer, but I am leaning towards doing algebra 1 review with something like AOPS or Foersters which would go deeper than his first round of algebra 1. 

Janet  

Most Algebra 2 texts start with a review of Alg 1. If he has time this year, many people think it is easiest to double up Geometry with Alg 2. Or, you could have him add 30 minutes of work a day in Alg 1 review this year so he can hit the ground running with Alg 2 this summer (or fall).

PreCalc is usually half trig and half prep for calculus. I'm not sure how much your plan would get him ahead. (There is at least one online provider that offers PreCalc over the summer.) DO also offers at-your-own-pace classes if he wants to accelerate.

But, quite a few kids will start with Calc 1 their Freshman year of college--yes, for engineering majors, too! The important thing is to have a good foundation.

I wouldn't stop him from moving to algebra 2 unless he had done a weak algebra 1. I think a solid algebra 2 w/review would make more sense for someone who wants to move ahead. 

Most standard algebra 2/precalc programs, if worked conscientiously to understanding and not just to being able to pattern-match and repeat questions, will prepare a student for engineering calculus. 

• Like 1

Thank you to those who have responded. This has helped. He does want to move ahead, but I don't think he is solid in algebra 1. He didn't do a very strong algebra 1 curriculum. He took a class with his friends. I love algebra. I am teaching algebra 1 this year and using a different curriculum. I think I am going to have him come to some of my tutoring sessions in the spring so he can review with other people. Then once co-op is over he should be ready to start algebra 2 which is what he wants to do. 

After he works through algebra 2 and trigonometry I will reevaluate. It helps to know that he will be okay if he doesn't get through calculus in high school. I like the idea of being solid in algebra and trig before college. I think that is a reasonable goal. If he stays motivated he will likely do more, but if not that is okay.

I had another thought yesterday. My FIL is a retired engineer. He would probably be willing to do some tutoring if we need a little extra help between trigonometry and calculus. 

Janet 

• Like 1

Reviewing is great. Doing some diagnostic-prescriptive testing through algebra 1 also would be reasonable. Just not redoing the entire course. 

I would also keep a good algebra 1 (foerster's is fine, lial's is cheaper if you don't have foerster already) book on hand so that if he discovers that he DOES need more instruction on something, he can put algebra 2 to the side and go work on a couple of sections and then come back. 

Realistically, if you took the algebra 1 review out of algebra 2, then algebra 2 is easily only a semester course, at best. Trig can easily be done over a summer. I would just let him start algebra 2 over the summer like he wants. Finish algebra 2 at the end of fall semester, whenever you have that to be. Then do trig in the spring and let him move on to community college after that. When I was in school, long ago, on the GT track, trig was attached to algebra 2 the year we took algebra 2 and it was all completed in a year. 

20 hours ago, Janeway said:

Realistically, if you took the algebra 1 review out of algebra 2, then algebra 2 is easily only a semester course, at best.

I disagree with this statement if you are talking about typical current day Algebra 2 scope/sequence. The review portion might be a month depending on how much the Algebra 1 program covered. Also, Algebra 2 now typically does include an introduction to trig (and other topics covered in more depth in a typical PreCalc class).