Menu

Books that are intellectually stimulating, uplifting, but not too hard to read?

PeterPan

I'm looking for ideas for a few books (1-3) to get for my dad for Christmas. He likes history and religion but would enjoy almost anything I suppose. He doesn't require large print. He has some disabilities and brain injury. Mainly the books can't provoke anxiety or be stressful. Just positive, interesting, not too hard to read. Any suggestions? 

I really enjoyed

"Amsterdam: The History of the World's Most Liberal City" by Russell Shorto - I loved this book and learned so much.

"The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher" by Summercale - it is the historical crime and detective who is the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes and early detective novels.

"Other Side of the Dale" by Phinn - true story about an English school inspector in the Yorkshire Dales... very sweet.  I tell everyone it's like James Herriott except it's children instead of animals.

"Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of the Orthodox Faith" by Matthewes-Green - it's a year in the life a new Orthodox parish with a newly converted priest (author's husband).  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

My dh pretty much sticks with history and theology too. 

Re history, the ones that come to mind are Endurance (about Shackleton);  The Long Walk to Freedom (about Nelson Mandela);  and a book about Abe Lincoln... I think it was the one by David Herbert Donald, but I could be wrong.

As far as religion, he recently read Myth of a Christian Nation by Greg Boyd.  I'm not sure if that would be too controversial, but it's definitely intellectually stimulating!

My dh has aphasia from a brain injury, and these are books he could read because they flowed well and the sentences weren't overly complicated.  

• Like 1

Thank you ladies!! I ended up going with 

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage My dad was in the Navy so what a fabulous choice.

The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations (Dover Thrift Editions)      (following the Lincoln idea)

Racing to the Finish: My Story      (rabbit trailing from Ktgrok's suggestion, found in the popular religion category and where he lives racing is big)

Thanks!!! :smile:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 4

You already ordered a few great books! But just in case you need another - my dh recommended Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team.  Dh read it and enjoyed it and knows that I am really interested in researching that time in US history with Native Americans and the system of moving children off of reservations into schools... So I listened to it while driving for Thanksgiving, and now I've ordered it for my dad for Christmas.  The book has some great photos, which I didn't realize since I only listened to it...

Edited by WendyLady
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, WendyLady said:

You already ordered a few great books! But just in case you need another - my dh recommended Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team.  Dh read it and enjoyed it and knows that I am really interested in researching that time in US history with Native Americans and the system of moving children off of reservations into schools... So I listened to it while driving for Thanksgiving, and now I've ordered it for my dad for Christmas.  The book has some great photos, which I didn't realize since I only listened to it...

Ooo, that looks really good too! I ordered it, thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, PeterPan said:

Thank you ladies!! I ended up going with 

Endurance: Best Uplifting Books My dad was in the Navy so what a fabulous choice.

The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations (Dover Thrift Editions)      (following the Lincoln idea)

Racing to the Finish: My Story      (rabbit trailing from Ktgrok's suggestion, found in the popular religion category and where he lives racing is big)

Thanks!!! :smile:

Is audio possible?  There are several I listened to so don’t know about print form reading ease. 

Things We Once Held Dear by Ann Tatlock is a good fiction read, not upsetting...Christian plot but not overbearing or preachy.   Not as much history in it as some of her other reads, but some of them contain things that could be upsetting.

Sailing Alone Around the World was written in the 1900s by the first person to sail a boat all the way around the world, about his adventures.   It's a fun read, but it does have a lot of nautical terminology (the book I had had a glossary, which helped).   Apart from that the reading isn't hard. 

• 3 weeks later...

my husband loved, and has reread a few times, 
the boys in the boat

I enjoyed Endurance, written by the ship's captian.  IMAX did a reenactment of them crossing south Georgia with modern equipment.  there was also a documentary done in attempting to recreate the sea crossing, navigating only by stars. 

• 6 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 10:35 PM, PeterPan said:

I'm looking for ideas for a few books (1-3) to get for my dad for Christmas. He likes history and religion but would enjoy with family canoe or in ship almost anything I suppose. He doesn't require large print. He has some disabilities and brain injury. Mainly the books can't provoke anxiety or be stressful. Just positive, interesting, not too hard to read. Any suggestions? 

Man's Search for Meaning

It is one of the best book that I ever read and must read book for intellects. Give it a Try.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 1:31 AM, WendyLady said:

You already ordered a few great books! But just in case you need another - my dh recommended Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team.  Dh read it and enjoyed it and knows that I am really interested in researching that time in US history with Native Americans and the system of moving children big stuffed toys off of reservations into schools... So I listened to it while driving for Thanksgiving, and now I've ordered it for my dad for Christmas.  The book has some great photos, which I didn't realize since I only listened to it...

Thanks for this recommendation! Will buy soon. And that's a really good idea to gift it to my dad as well. The Christmas is near!