Menu

What's with the ads?

ByGrace3

Talk to me about mostly outsourcing high school and critiquing this plan...

The situation in a nutshell--

I have been dealing with some health issues the last few years that is making it more and more difficult for me to be as involved as I would like, and I can definitely see a few things slipping through the cracks. 

I considered letting her go to high school -- which she would like, but for many reasons public school is not an option and the Christian school she wants to go to is very expensive and would involve an all or nothing -- either all kids go because I would have to get a job to afford it, or they all stay home. 

A potential solution would be to up the amount of online classes she has, and me work part time from home to accommodate that (ds would also take a few classes so I am mostly just hands on with my youngest)

For 8th grade this year dd is taking:

Bible -- mom made

World Geography-- mom made (includes literature and writing) 

Education Exploration Physical Science (self paced computer)

Spanish -- Breaking the Barrier (with mom)

Art of Argument -- Schole Academy

Algebra 1- Mr. D math

She is handling the work load ok-- having to work but not overwhelmed, complains the most about Spanish. Loves the live online classes. She definitely gives more effort to her online classes which has been an area of contention for us this year. 

would transitioning to the following be crazy?

Great Conversations with WH (Lit, Theology, history) (Or a Schole Academy history and writing class.) 

Biology (WH)

Spanish-- home

Logic 2 -- Schole Academy

Geometry -- Mr. D math 

PE -- home (she swims for club and high school)

Is that enough for English, do we need to add a separate writing component? Too much of a workload? The one I am questioning the most is Biology -- She isn't really a science/math girl but is considering a career in physical therapy. . . She could do something self paced for Biology, but I need to not be needed much . . . Suggestions for that just in case? (independent, Christian)

The cost is an issue, but I am hoping we can figure that out... otherwise, I don't really know what my options would be ...

Thanks for any thoughts! 

(Quick aside: It always helps me see what is going on (esp. for high school) by listing what subjects and how much credit -- see below.)

So it looks to me your 8th grade and 9th grade are roughly similar in overall credit load, but you would be switching from at-home to an online provider for 3 more core subjects: English, Social Studies, and Science.

Thoughts:
- family scheduling consideration: outsourcing with a rigorous online provider (Wilson Hill) will definitely kick up the time needed for every subject
- family scheduling consideration: more outsourcing means a less flexible schedule (more online class times to have to show up for)
- a plus: sticking with all 1 provider, or just 1 class with a second provider will help reduce juggling lots of different dates and deadlines
- a plus: DD likes/does well with online classes
- red flag: if your DD is weak in science and needs to do well in Biology for possible future PT college/career, online pace and lack of help may not fit DD

Question:
High school is a step up in rigor, esp. if going with mostly rigorous online class providers. Having an elective of personal interest in 9th grade can really help give the student some relief from the step up in intensity and in the "all academic load" of subjects. If Logic and Theology are of high interest to DD, then great, go for those. But if she's only so-so about a classical set of subjects/credits, then I suggest dropping the Logic and Theology (Wilson Hill's Great Conversations) and replace with an Elective in an area of high interest to DD, or that allows her to explore something new as her Elective, or allows her to do something in the Fine Arts area (as 1.0 credit of Fine Arts at some point in high school is standard in a college prep set of credits).

Cost Reduction Ideas:
- Virtual Homeschool Group -- free online course co-op
(Apologia Biology; Destinos Spanish + Conversation; English: classics of Lit or individual books in the Literature Library choices; Mystery of History; Notgrass Econ and Gov't; Saxon Math) 
- Alpha Omega Monarch -- online courses for up to 3 students in the subjects of Bible, History, Geography, LA, Math, Science for gr. 3-12

Christian Biology options
- Alpha Omega's Switched on Schoolhouse -- ($90, computer CD) -- self-paced; self grading
- Bob Jones Distance -- ($300 -- self-paced video lessons, texts & tests online, so graded for you)
- textbook + tutor -- pick a good, Christian program, do it at home at her pace, and pay for a tutor for 2-3 hours/week to go over material and oversee labs; you might be able to work out a barter system to reduce cost -- example: tutor is a university student; you pay $15/hour for 2 hours, and then the student stays for dinner that evening as payment for the rest of their time; you could even look for a university student who is heading towards PT, and who could also tutor the following year and have DD do Anatomy & Physiology for 10th grade science

10 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

... A potential solution would be to up the amount of online classes she has, and me work part time from home to accommodate that (ds would also take a few classes so I am mostly just hands on with my youngest)

JMO: I don't recommend starting a middle schooler with more than 1 online class (unless the student is gifted or enjoys academics, AND is self-disciplined/self-motivated, AND is a strong reader/writer. In other words, in this scenario, you would still be overseeing the bulk of DS's schooling, and slowly over the next few years work him towards more outsourcing *as he is READY* for that.

8th grade:
English = at home, DIY
MathAlgebra 1 = outsourced, Mr. D
Science: Physical Science = at home, self-paced Education Exploration
Social Studies: World Geography = at home, DIY
For. Lang: Spanish = at home, Breaking the Barrier
Elective: Bible = at home, DIY
Elective: Logic = outsourced, Schole Academy
PE/Elective: swim team
(roughly 6.5-8.0 "credits" of work)

9th grade:
1.0 credit = English = outsourced, Wilson Hill
1.0 credit = Math = Geometry = outsourced, Mr. D
1.0 credit = Science = outsourced, Wilson Hill
1.0 credit = Social Studies: History = outsourced, Wilson Hill
1.0 credit = For. Lang: Spanish = at home, Breaking the Barrier
0.5-1.0 credit = Elective: Theology = outsourced, Wilson Hill
0.5-1.0 credit = Elective: Logic = outsourced, Schole Academy (website lists this as 1.0 credit, but Art of Argument is a middle school text; how much additional material and time is spent on this topic -- is it enough to equal 1.0 high school credit?)
0.5-1.0 credit = Elective: PE = swimming (can count hours for 0.5 credit of PE, and the rest of the hours as a great extracurricular, or count all as 1.0 credit PE)
6.50-8.0 credits total

OR

1.0 credit = English = outsourced, Schole Academy
1.0 credit = Math = Geometry = outsourced, Mr. D
1.0 credit = Science = outsourced, Wilson Hill -- or other
1.0 credit = Social Studies: History = outsourced, Schole Academy
1.0 credit = For. Lang: Spanish = at home, Breaking the Barrier
0.5-1.0 credit = Elective: Logic = outsourced, Schole Academy (website lists this as 1.0 credit, but Art of Argument is a middle school text; how much additional material and time is spent on this topic -- is it enough to equal 1.0 high school credit?)
0.5-1.0 credit = Elective: PE = swimming (can count hours for 0.5 credit of PE, and the rest of the hours as a great extracurricular, or count all as 1.0 credit PE)
6.00-7.0 credits total

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

1.  I feel like you might be missing a few credits

2.  It's perfectly normal to put in more effort into an outsourced class.  Human beings often thrive on community recognition, it's how we are wired.  Whether you're creationist or evolutionist (or both!), it's clear that we are designed to live in and receive recognition from, a wider community.  It's also part of the teenage healthy psyche to separate from the parents.  🙂  This is normal and healthy 

3.  If Schole Academy is working great, I would stick with it instead of trying mutliple online providers.  They'll all have different schedules and it's annoying to work with different schedules.  Plus, you've had two classes with Schole and so maybe your dd clicks with their style of teaching/learning or the style of teachers/people they tend to hire.

4.  That said, see if there is any withdrawal/refund period.  Sometimes online classes can be very expensive, and when they aren't a fit, we lose a LOT of money. It's better to make SURE there is some kind of trial period, if possible.  

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

That was my first thought, too, but in looking closer at her course provider, I'm pretty sure that the integrated Wilson Hill Great Conversations courses are 3 credits -- 1 each for History, English/Lit, and Theology -- much like TWTM Great Books integrated studies style of high school actually are several credits wound together. 🙂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

We haven't used this, but maybe look into Jay Wile's online classes for Biology. 

This is a good idea if you want to outsource science completely! I puffy heart love Dr Wile! 😁 But if it's too much to swing financially, then Apologia is not all that much for the parent, honestly. My kids read and do experiments on their own and write lab reports, all I do is photocopy and grade tests and look over their lab reports and am available for questions every once in a while. But the books really are remarkably well suited to self study.

• Like 2

Additionally, since cost is a factor, I would look for other options besides WHA.  They are one of the most expensive providers I know of.  We only chose them for calculus because we had so few options that were live (not self-paced, not just videos with online meeting to go over questions, etc.). 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

We haven't used this, but maybe look into Jay Wile's online classes for Biology. 

oh, thanks! I didn't realize he taught classes. The price point is definitely better. . . but looks like experiments are on your own . . .which I was hoping to avoid. A definite thought to file away though!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 10:13 PM, Calming Tea said:

2.  It's perfectly normal to put in more effort into an outsourced class.  Human beings often thrive on community recognition, it's how we are wired.  Whether you're creationist or evolutionist (or both!), it's clear that we are designed to live in and receive recognition from, a wider community.  It's also part of the teenage healthy psyche to separate from the parents.  🙂  This is normal and healthy 

3.  If Schole Academy is working great, I would stick with it instead of trying mutliple online providers.  They'll all have different schedules and it's annoying to work with different schedules.  Plus, you've had two classes with Schole and so maybe your dd clicks with their style of teaching/learning or the style of teachers/people they tend to hire.

4.  That said, see if there is any withdrawal/refund period.  Sometimes online classes can be very expensive, and when they aren't a fit, we lose a LOT of money. It's better to make SURE there is some kind of trial period, if possible.  

We both like the set up of Schole Academy, but they don't offer Great Books courses. My thought right now is either the Great Conversations class with WH or a regular history and Writing class with Schole, but if we go the second route, I have to add a Bible credit as well. The GC class at WH is expensive, but it does cover 3 credits -- is the consensus that a GC course is enough for a lit, history, and Theology credit?

4 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

We both like the set up of Schole Academy, but they don't offer Great Books courses. My thought right now is either the Great Conversations class with WH or a regular history and Writing class with Schole, but if we go the second route, I have to add a Bible credit as well. The GC class at WH is expensive, but it does cover 3 credits...

re: Great Books courses
Esp. as this will be for high school, I'd really include DD in this conversation. Is SHE interested in doing a rigorous classical/integrated Great Conversations type of academics and study? (Or is this *your* goal? And how much say or buy-in does DD have about it?) And if you both like Schole Academy, then I'd stick with that  Or, broaden your options and look at other (non Great Books) course providers who are less expensive but offer lit. that your DD would enjoy, esp. if she's not that "into" classical Great Books. (As I recall, your DD really enjoyed the WW2 unit of Lit. you planned for this year's World Geography study.)

re: Bible/Theology
Instead of outsourcing Bible, perhaps consider doing a study together with your DD, or over the high school years, together, read some of the great Christian apologetics and inspirational works and discuss together. That might be very uplifting for you as you deal with health issues, and it might be a way of having something special that you and DD do that keeps your relationship close during the teen years. Or, perhaps see if Bible Study Fellowship has a school-age program in your area -- then you and all your children could do it together.

And a few more quality online options:
Roman Road Media ($800 total = $600/year integrated humanities (history, theology, philosophy, poetry, art, literature) + $200/year writing & grading)
Write at Home ($699/year for choice of 1 Wasko Lit & 1 Writing course) -- the Wasko Lit courses are classic lit.
The Potter School -- ($500/year -- integrated subject courses: Amer. History/Lit/Writing; Medieval History/Lit/Writing + possible second class of Bible Survey) (or possible solo English course: Eng. 3: Lit Survey)
Lantern English ($330/year, includes grading; 9th grade English book list; outline of the 32-week year; sample lesson) (also offers Lit & Writing as separate courses -- each are 8-week courses, $60/student)

Another idea: since you're considering spending several thousand dollars to outsource virtually all of the high school subjects, what about the possibility of a university-model school in your area? Cost would likely be comparable, and your DD would have actual live teachers/class interactions 3 days/week, and would complete at-home work 2 days/week, which would likely not require too much from you, if she's already doing well with online classes.

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.