Menu

What's with the ads?

Our daughter is planning on taking AP Biology after a year of AP Chemistry. She has never taken Biology before. Is that doable? Can anyone recommend a good online program that prepares well for AP Biology?

I am a biology instructor at a local college and teach biology at a co-op.  Taking AP Bio without some high school biology first is do-able, but only for a small percentage of students.  Unless you child is really a strong student, I would not advise it.  I'm sorry  I am not familiar with an online biology course.  However, if your student is disciplined and conscientious enough to study independently, a thorough pass through a solid high school text on her own would be a sufficient pre-requisite, I think.

Edited by Reefgazer

My dd is a strong science student, and scored a 5 on AP chem freshman year.  She took AP bio (Stanford OHS) the following year and also scored a 5.  No high school biology; she'd only had middle school science (BFSU) prior.  

• Like 1

Just as a point of reference, at my dd's school, students who are on the one year accelerated math track take Chemistry I & II in 9th grade, followed by AP Bio sophomore year. These kids take  "Advanced Science" in 8th grade, a mix of chemistry, physics, and biology. That seems to produce good enough results for them.