Menu

Compass Prep's NMF discussion

25 minutes ago, alewife said:

If I were in charge at National Merit Corporation, at this point, I would be speaking with the ACT folks to see if they could develop a PACT test to replace the PSAT.  It appears that National Merit is already moving somewhat to the ACT since it will now accept an ACT score in lieu of an SAT score in the step a student takes to advance from semi-finalist to finalist status.

There is a Pre-ACT. (I can't remember if it used to be the PLAN?) There was even a scholarship associated with it, but it was somehow governmentally-sponsored and got nixed in some of the budget cuts awhile back. I can't find reference to it, but it wasn't as big as NM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alewife said:

I wonder how much longer David Coleman will be running the show at the College Board?  There has been one major screw up after another since he took over.

Was he the guy that had the bright idea to dumb down the SAT (it's newest form that came out in about 2015 or so)?

On 12/12/2018 at 6:04 PM, amsunshine said:

If you mean the October school day test here in the U.S., the curve for math was -1 = 790 and -2 = 770.  The reading curve was not as bad as the writing.  My dd missed only one question on the whole test -- the writing portion.  -1 on writing = 38.  She was bummed they took off 20 points for just one question, esp when -1 for the reading portion was a 39.  But really, it was not that bad of a curve, compared to some I've seen. 

See the QAS guide here:  https://pine-student-qassupplemental-download.s3.amazonaws.com/1356/5OSA03/201810-sat-qas-table-guide.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Date=20181212T170004Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=299&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIOKF2YY2LC7SCNIQ%2F20181212%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Signature=2dff97262f4c76d285c3ae48d85585668a089d975e21b982efa4a3f256a15c15

Well, based upon scores -1 math = 780; -1 writing = 380 and -2 reading = 390 = 1550.  Great score, but really could have used 10 more points from either math or writing for the automatic merit scholarship she was after.  Math curve wasn't abysmal, but when paired with the same kinda harsh curve on writing... blech.  Still, not as bad as the 10/24 PSAT curve!!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 10:20 AM, mirabillis said:

So CB can go hang themselves.

With the brutal 10/24 curve, my son missed ONE in math ---> 710 and 3 in reading/writing ----> 710, equals 1420 (4 questions wrong total)

Last year he missed 13 total and got a 1400. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!

ETA - last year missing 4 questions, he would have got a 1510. And would have been a National Merit Finalist. I could spit at them. (he figured it out - he would have had a 1500 on the normal date *fuming mad here*)

Just to highlight the disparity in difficulty between the 10/24 PSAT and the Dec SAT:  

Dec SAT Math

One wrong in math = 790, while 5 wrong is a 720, and 6 wrong is a 700

Dec SAT EBRW

Missing 9 question total in EBRW was a 700.

I hope the National Merit Corp gets a lot of complaints about the 10/24 PSAT and takes some kind of action to try to remedy the College Board's screw up.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Well, based upon scores -1 math = 780; -1 writing = 380 and -2 reading = 390 = 1550.  Great score, but really could have used 10 more points from either math or writing for the automatic merit scholarship she was after.  Math curve wasn't abysmal, but when paired with the same kinda harsh curve on writing... blech.  Still, not as bad as the 10/24 PSAT curve!!

That's an amazing score -- congratulations to your dd!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amsunshine said:

That's an amazing score -- congratulations to your dd!

Thank you -- one and done is what we were aiming for.  She won't take it again.  She should get commended,  she'll miss National Merit.  But, should still qualify for the scholarship she wanted.  

• Like 2