Menu

Educents-shutting down (changing direction)

I just went through all of my emails and I have not received anything from them at all. Pretty sad that I learned about it here! Thanks for posting that, Root Ann. I wonder if the new Internet sales tax laws are their reason. When I heard about them, I knew there was no reason I could keep up with them. 

No worries. I will just have to find another distributor. I can't sell on my own, though, if I have to file taxes for every state. It was a pain keeping up with my own city, county, and state taxes every month and being late was a $50 fine even if I didn't sell anything in-state.

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I didn't see another thread on this. Did anyone else get the email and feel a bit sad? I think 8 sells her curric through them (right?) and I wondered what she will do.

Ok. Want to know what is really sad, I just logged into my sellers account and there is zero formation there about anything changing. What exactly did the email say? It is ridiculous that sellers aren't seeing this info!

• Sad 3

Dear Educents customers,

We are writing today with some sad news — the Educents marketplace will shut down effective today.

While we tried our best to deliver on our mission of connecting educationally focused businesses with parents, homeschoolers, and teachers in an effort to keep education affordable for all, we weren’t able to establish a long-term sustainable business model. We are proud of the teachers and families we served, but ultimately the economics did not work.

As we developed the marketplace, we discovered that a large percentage of our users were not just teachers but homeschooling families and we quickly realized that they deal with many unique challenges. In conversations with our team and advisors, we saw an opportunity to serve homeschoolers in a different way.

We are excited to announce that the Educents team will be refocusing our efforts to build tools and services to help more families access education at home. 

Our first product will attempt to reduce the coordination and communication burden on homeschooling parents — right now it's a full-time job to co-learn with your child between carpooling, texting, and calling. If we can make it easier for families to coordinate their learning schedules, more children will benefit from learning outside the classroom. Be on the lookout for more updates soon.

If you're interested in being a beta tester, please sign up here.

On behalf of the entire company, we are grateful for each of you and thank you for your loyalty.

Sincerely,
Kate, Kaitlyn, and the Educents Team

Important Educents Dates:

December 3—Last day to place orders

December 7—Last day for sellers to ship orders that have been placed (if your order has not been shipped by this day, we will issue a full refund)

December 21—The Educents website will be permanently closed

Please see our FAQ page if you have further questions.

Educents overcharged me by $20 and then refused to refund my order after I cancelled it. If I left a message or emailed they wouldn't get back to me and on the rare occasion that they actually answered the phone they would put me on hold and leave me there. It was beyond ridiculous.

The hive has several posts by people who are "not associated with Educents in any way" but are very impressed with these amazing deals and I responded to each one with the maturity of a hungry toddler because I was so irritated with the company.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, knitgrl said:

What's the timeline? I was planning on using Treasured Conversations next year. Do I need to buy it asap?

They're closing today. I'd go ahead & hold on. 8 will make sure you can use it next year, I'm sure. Hang tight.

@Slache I've only had good interactions with them. I'm pretty sure I had a credit with them when they shut down, but I haven't bought anything (curric-wise) in awhile. Maybe that's why they went out of business--I haven't been buying! :ph34r:

Edited by RootAnn

I found the email in my spam folder. The fact that they made the decision to close does not bother me. Companies do that. But, I am beyond annoyed that they did not give ANY warning at all. My email was posted today at 11:47. So, they notify today that this is the last day we can make sales? That is beyond unprofessional.  What did they do? Wake up and make the decision this morning?

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Our first product will attempt to reduce the coordination and communication burden on homeschooling parents — right now it's a full-time job to co-learn with your child between carpooling, texting, and calling. If we can make it easier for families to coordinate their learning schedules, more children will benefit from learning outside the classroom. Be on the lookout for more updates soon.

I don't understand what this means?  It doesn't seem to make sense.  Are they producing a planner like Homeschool Planet?   

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I don't understand what this means?  It doesn't seem to make sense.  Are they producing a planner like Homeschool Planet?   

I wondered what the heck that meant, too. But who would want to seek support from a company that gives sellers 12 hrs notice that they need to shut down their business?

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have no clue, but I don't think I need it. There are more ways than ever to communicate with my kids. I can talk to them face to face, text 'em, email them a reminder, leave them a note, use sign language across the kitchen table, yell across the house/yard, or slide a note under the bathroom door . . . 

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I have no clue, but I don't think I need it. There are more ways than ever to communicate with my kids. I can talk to them face to face, text 'em, email them a reminder, leave them a note, use sign language across the kitchen table, yell across the house/yard, or slide a note under the bathroom door . . . 

I guess that's part of my confusion.  I don't really find communicating with my family a burden.  I mean, we all live here, how hard can it be?  And I spend 5 days a week at my science center, sometimes without the kids.  Still not a burden.

That and, what am I co-learning?  Am I having to co-learn how to communicate with them?  

I guess if you have all older kids and they are in DE, enrichment classes, have jobs, and drive themselves places maybe it gets tough.  I can see that.   But that doesn't seem to be what they mean.

Yes, I'm spending (wasting) too much time analyzing this statement.  I hate when people are trying to sell you something and are super ambiguous.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Slache said:

Educents overcharged me by $20 and then refused to refund my order after I cancelled it. If I left a message or emailed they wouldn't get back to me and on the rare occasion that they actually answered the phone they would put me on hold and leave me there. It was beyond ridiculous.

The hive has several posts by people who are "not associated with Educents in any way" but are very impressed with these amazing deals and I responded to each one with the maturity of a hungry toddler because I was so irritated with the company.

Same crap here on the over charging. And for a refund on their screw up, they gave me another credit.  I told them where they could stick that credit.  

• Like 1

I think they mean coordinating your family’s schedule with other homeschool families’ schedules, so you can get together with them more easily.  Maybe?  

8, is there going to be a sequel to TC?  We loved it over here, and would be very interested if you wrote another level.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 7:22 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

I just went through all of my emails and I have not received anything from them at all. Pretty sad that I learned about it here! Thanks for posting that, Root Ann. I wonder if the new Internet sales tax laws are their reason. When I heard about them, I knew there was no reason I could keep up with them. 

No worries. I will just have to find another distributor. I can't sell on my own, though, if I have to file taxes for every state. It was a pain keeping up with my own city, county, and state taxes every month and being late was a $50 fine even if I didn't sell anything in-state.

When you have a distributor, please let us know.  I'm leaning towards purchasing this before trying Writing with Skill.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 5:16 PM, dsbrack said:

When you have a distributor, please let us know.  I'm leaning towards purchasing this before trying Writing with Skill.  Thanks!!

Well, after weeks of aggravation, I have decided to distribute them myself once again.  They are available on my blog page.  My site is still under construction, but at this point only cosmetic changes remain.  The site is now operational.  If you can't see my blog link in my siggie, it is Conversations with Karen

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3