Menu

Dr. Death podcast

sassenach

46 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I think it’s absolutely on Baylor. I can’t believe there’s no rubric for surgical skill and no accounting for number of procedures performed. He should have been doing those few that he did under supervision, right? They keep track of hours for undergraduates, it’s appalling they don’t do it for surgery time. Or if they do, someone totally dropped the ball on accounting for this guy.

But, part of me wonders if he was given special treatment because they thought his research was going to be groundbreaking and money making. I believe they did him and the victims a grave disservice by not just steering him into research. 

Not to say he doesn’t carry blame himself - that is certainly immense! I am intrigued by the thought of TBI from his football years, and how the effects of that were perhaps exacerbated by his drug use. 

He did awful things, but the incredulous part is that there were no filters in place to stop him. THIRTY THREE VICTIMS. Him getting beyond two or three all in the same state is terrifying. 

Wait, Baylor was his first employer, but not his school (I think- I’ll go check on that). I think Baylor is responsible for not reporting him to the registry or state. 

ETA: he graduated from the University of Tennessee. 

Edited by sassenach

I wish we knew more about his childhood. He seems to have some from a loving and supportive family. I wonder if he’s always been like this or if he changed at some point. He reminds me of the guy from serial season 2. That guy had some sort if personality that created some sort of gap between his self-assessment and reality. Can’t remember the pd type. Off to look that up!

ETA: Schizotypal personality disorder

Edited by sassenach