Menu

The It's December Tomorrow! Teachers Lounge 11-30-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning and welcome to the hectic Lounge!

Today's theme should be self-explanatory. I've already decided that December is not going to be 
rush, rush like it felt last year. Nor are we going to "put our nose to the grindstone" and get bookwork done,
even if I do feel like we're behind. We may or may not be. But THIS Christmas, I have much to be thankful for
and I want to SLOW DOWN and focus on the Giver of all life and the many ways He has blessed our family this year, especially this fall.

Anyone using an advent calender? Here: Once again, I had grand ideas of making one but, alas, have not. Not sure, still, what I'm going to do, but I would like to have a unique one. Would also like to think of a book we can read as family each night when we're all finally together. With my kids being teen and older, and night owls, and my husband getting home late from work most nights, I'd rather we not all be on our phones and computers, but do something together. 

Is your tree up yet? Here: nope. DH was talking this morning about making room for where to put the tree. He also talked the other day about getting a real one. I wouldn't mind a real one but I don't want to buy one just yet. We live in the desert. It would dry out quickly. Heck, it might dry out quickly sitting and waiting for us on the store lot. Yes, I know to water it. Grew up having a live one every year. We'll see . . .

What special things are happening for you in December that are not Holiday related? Here: I'm hoping to be offered a particular job interview. It looks promising, they just haven't extended the official offer yet. 

Talk to me! 🦊

• Like 3

Good luck on the job offer.

We aren’t Christians but we have relatives who are. I’m thinking of getting something like this wooden box advent calendar to put candies in. My boys are amused as we were playing with the display in store https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2563481/creative-co-op-wood-advent-calendar?color=NATURAL

DS13’s birthday is tomorrow and DS12’s birthday is this coming Wednesday. My birthday is also in December. So December is pretty much a birthday month for us.

We had artificial Christmas trees, some of us have sensitive noses so real trees are not as suitable, and our kids weren’t really keen on those. They rather have those LED star lights that they can rearrange every day. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/GE-Projects-Ceiling-Operated-17457/dp/B002HEUA3Y

My kids are still asleep (it is 9:17am here).

• Like 1

Good afternoon (here!)! Scrap, I hope you get the interview and the job!

I don't normally do a full advent type calendar because we are usually having our own Christmas early and leaving town before the 25th. We will get closer this year, but it will still be early. We'll even be out of town the Sunday before. 

Our tree is not up yet, but it usually is. I got sick at the end of Thanksgiving break and didn't feel like doing it. We'll probably do it the weekend of the 14th, so dd will be home. We do artificial for the same reason as Arcadia. 

Dh's birthday is in December. Dd will be home for her break, so that is always nice. Ds' girlfriend is coming from Colorado the week after Christmas to New Year's. 

• Like 1

Hope you get the interview Scrap

Tree has been up here 2 weeks.  Was the best day to put it up as it takes forever to put up.  Big tree, old tree, individual branches to be shaped & then all the lights.  Yep takes a while.

I like the slowing down idea very much.  Every Christmas I say "next year I am going to be better prepared, the house cleaned & gifts bought early"  Never happens. Then I stress and nearly kill myself trying to get everything done.  This year is no different.  The house is not clean, presents are not bought.  But this year I am going to give myself permission to let things slide and enjoy the season.  (ok I am still stressing about buying gifts $$ but the rest can slide)

Hi Scrap! I hope you get that interview and the job. 

We are crazy busy for the first two weeks of December, then we get the relaxing break. I love all my kids' performances, but the pace of next week is insane. And we don't even go to everything! Christmas is too good to waste on parties we don't enjoy, hours sitting in traffic or one more wasteful gift for a whilte elephant game.  The third week of December will be a nice mix of fun activities and rest, while we have the week between Christmas and New Years entirely free. Lots of reading, watching movies, sleeping and general lounging. Very little cooking or going anywhere. 

I haven't gotten an advent calendar this year. We have a wreath and candles on our table, and we do family worship with scripture and hymns each day, so I feel like we are having our countdown. Trying to simplify and avoid sweets too. My kids have a cloth one where they add a figure to the manger scene each day. Very preschool, but they still like it. Good memories. We try to spend some time each day reading Christmas books too. I have a huge pile on our coffee table! 

Hoping to get our tree purchased and up tomorrow, in between basketball, baking, and regular Saturday housecleaning.  Lights and decorations on Sunday. 

Dh and Ds will get to a good college basketball game in December. Other than that, I think all our festivities are Christmas related. Maybe a backyard bonfire with neighbors, if we get nice weather. 

Things I am most looking forward to (besides a week to do nothing!): church choir concert, Keith and Kristin Getty in concert at our symphony center, Christmas Eve worship, reading books together on the sofa, sitting in our quiet, darkened LR enjoying the beautiful, lighted tree. 

Good Luck with the job.

We are pretty much just normal busy with only a few special holiday things thrown in.   We haven't put up the tree yet since dh thought last weekend was too soon.  I think we'll do it this weekend (if I get some cleaning done).  

I had bought some boxes to make my own advent calendar to put things in, but couldn't find them the year I bought them until after December 1st.  Now they are in the garage in one of the Christmas decorations boxes but I don't know which and since we haven't gotten them out yet, I can't set them up.  Maybe next year.

No live tree here.  Too many of us are allergic.  The first few years, ds got really sick around Christmas.  We thought it was just all the excitement but then I realized that the tree bothered my allergies, I was just better medicated, and that it could be his problem too.

I'm looking forward to 2 weeks off to maybe finally get my house in shape.