Menu

Has anyone ever given up their Amazon Prime subscription?

Heathermomster

There must be something wrong with me, but I can't imagine giving up Amazon Prime.  Then again, here I am pondering this thing.

Has anyone given up Prime?  If so, what service do you use for movies?  Is it doable?  Are you still homeschooling? I guess I should look, but is shipping still free on Amazon if you spend $25?

Thanks, Heather

• Like 1

We gave it up for about 6 months.  Mine was set to renew at the beginning of the summer and I let it lapse.  I just signed up again about 3 weeks ago. I agree about Prime Video, we could live without it.  We also have Netflix and Hulu.  But the shipping!!!  I realized I wasn't going to make it through the holiday season with it.

• Like 3

I resisted the calling of Prime for a long time until they sent me an unsolicited offer for a student account.  I'm guessing that my history of renting and purchasing textbooks prompted the offer.  So, I only pay half the regular prime cost and I'm finding that a great value.  I don't think I'd pay for full Prime.  We've only browsed the Prime videos a couple of times, to be honest.  We have Netflix and just don't watch that much.  So, if/when they try to upgrade my account to regular Prime, I'll let it go, and revert back to ordering enough at a time to qualify for free/slow shipping.

• Like 1

The month before it was going to renew, I took it off auto renew so that it would cancel itself. So for that last month, we watched everything we were interested in on Prime Video. I dont think we used Netflix once that month! 😄 

I don't miss it at all. We use the free version of Pandora for music and Netflix for TV. We use the library, Redbox, or the video rental store (our little town still has one!) for things we can't get on Netflix.

For shopping, I just let things accumulate in my Amazon cart until I reach the free shipping amount, which doesn't take long.

• Like 2

My subscription auto-renewed a week or two before the price hike, lucky me. Then prime day or whatever it's called rolled around, and between the over-hyped sales and the price hike, we re-evaluated our subscription and decided not to renew next year. It wasn't so much the price hike that did it - it just made us actually think about the price and what we were getting out of it, rather than passively renewing every year. Amazon just doesn't always have the best deals (seemed like Costco had the best deals on Christmas toys this year, at least for what my kids wanted), and they increasingly have a problem with counterfeit items. I'm tired of reading reviews just to make sure I'll get what the product description says I'll get, kwim?

We'll see how we do. There was definitely a time in our lives where it made sense, and I wouldn't have considered going without. B our youngest will be out of diapers within a year, we usually don't need an item right now, we can wait until we've reached the shipping minimum. I can also get to a store more easily now that the kids are bigger. 

• Like 2

I've had prime since 2008 I think. For 4 years I had a student account, which was 1/2 price. I like prime because my mom (we live together) uses it to ship gifts to family and friends - it's way easier than her getting to the post office. I watch videos and listen to music, which I could do elsewhere, but I like some prime shows. 

I also a lot under the free shipping threshold. I don't want to spend time hunting for a cheap add on item if I'm at $20. I'll continue to renew because I've had good luck with shipping. 

• Like 1

I think we've had 3 or 4 free trials of prime now and we cancel everytime.  I'm in the opposite boat as most in that I can't believe people would actually pay money for it. It's easy enough to let stuff sit until I have enough for free shipping (and also it gives me a cool off period where I find out that many things I "thought" I needed I really don't care about later on).  We don't watch TV/movies so the streaming stuff is of no value to me. Once or twice a year, I wish something would come faster but never enough to even tempt me to fork out $100.

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear how others have done without it. We use Prime quite a bit for videos, music, Subscribe and Save, Whole Foods discounts, and shipping smaller orders.

However, out of my last 10 orders with 2-day shipping, at least 3 of them have been delayed. And at first I was annoyed because they were things I was counting on arriving the day Amazon said they would arrive. I did some Googling because that seemed like a significant uptick in delivery delays, and I came across this article https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-delivery-drivers-reveal-claims-of-disturbing-work-conditions-2018-8 and that's been rolling around in my head. I've realized how impatient I've become in expecting things to arrive so quickly, and is it really necessary? 

Doing away with Prime would require a bit more forethought and effort on my part, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing

• Like 4

We gave up Prime.  We don't use the video streaming - the vast majority of modern media we find to be kind of morally bankrupt, or at least obnoxious.  We plan ahead so we don't need things in 2 days, and if we have a last minute need we just go to WalMart.  We never did Subscribe and Save.

• Like 2

We have it at the student rate. I don't know how, but DS23 signed up for it on my account and we'll apparently get it at that rate for another year. We'll probably continue at the normal rate afterwards.

I use some of the Prime exercise videos. In general I've found them to be much higher quality that what's on YouTube. We also tend to order quite a few things. Not staples--I can easily pick those up locally--but things that would require considerable time and effort to hunt down locally, if it was even possible. Generally they aren't costly things that would meet the free shipping minimum, but they're often things we need quickly, like a part for the RV. Just a few days ago I bought a squirrel baffle for one of our bird feeders. I  checked online to try to find one locally at Walmart, Lowe's, HD, etc., but none of them had any in stock. We run into that issue frequently, and in those cases it's very handy to have Prime. Sure I could throw in some toilet paper or other things we'd use just to reach the free shipping minimum, but that's a pain. We've rarely had any problem with the two day shipping.  

• Like 1

I had prime student, but when it was time to renew it I would have had to upgrade to prime regular. It just wasn't worth it for me. We refuse to pay for the internet speed you'd need to stream much, we don't watch much tv (and when we do it's over-the-air), and when we want a movie we just buy it on dvd. Plus, when I went back and looked at how much I had actually bought it wasn't enough to bother with keeping it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

Thanks. The reason I asked was because I noticed that a lot of the Prime reading material was Kindle Unlimited which I pay for and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money paying for something that I already had for free.

Check out this article. It says one book a month is free with Prime.

• Like 1

We don't have Prime because we do not use the video or audio or electronic books, we never get anything in two days, Prime prices are not necessarily better because they price shipping into the purchase, Amazon Fresh or any other delivery service is not available where I live, Whole Foods did not give us 5% off (only for people with an Amazon credit card).  If I buy more than $25 or $35, I get free shipping anyways.  What I purchase most are used books from 3rd party sellers so I pay shipping for those anyways.  Quite a few sellers do not ship to our location at all.  Therefore, no reason for us to pay for Prime.

• Like 1

We gave up prime a couple of years ago.  I'm saving  money by not buying the deals that are posted everywhere.   Now, if I see a deal, I have to really want it enough to place a minimum order and wait for it to be delivered at normal speeds.  We have Netflix and get Kindle books from the public library.  If I need something not available locally, Target.com usually has what I need with 2 day shipping.   With that said, I'm probably going to buy a month of prime( $12.99 )  to watch Mrs. Maisel next month.  I really like that show!

• Like 1

We got it this year when dh had to ship a dehumidifier very quickly, and he couldn't get it faster elsewhere.  It was expensive enough to pay for the Prime membership. Dh has enjoyed the radio, but I doubt we will renew it.  Mostly I just ate giving my cash to  Bezos, so I prefer to try and buy elsewhere.

• Like 1

Yes Gave it up 3 years ago and have been SUPER happy. We live 40 mins one way from shopping (except Walmart) and I thought it would be hard. I also had 3 students at the time. I thought I only ordered what I needed when we had prime, I’m pretty frugal and watch my spending closely. But I went on amazon recently to check a price and looked at my account. When I had prime I ordered 4-8 times per month. Now, I ordered 2 things in the past year! I think I’m doing without some of the things I used to think I needed. It makes me a lot more intentional about ordering things. I have a Target redcard which comes with free shipping and 5% off. That’s where I shop for some basics. 

Most of all I’m happy to be shopping at, and supporting, a variety of stores. I try very hard to buy all books used (thriftbooks is awesome and shipping is free on orders over $10)

Edited by mum
Spelling
  • Like 2

I’ve had a few free trials and was never tempted to pay for the real thing. I only order occasionally, but always do enough for free shipping. And during trials, I’ve watched entire seasons of shows of interest. In general, I dislike stuff and shopping and do very little of it. But I try to buy local when possible, especially at places that provide living wage jobs with good benefits, even if it means paying more. Oh, and we’ve had Netflix for a very long time.

• Like 1

For what we pay each year we definitely get a lot of use when it comes to Amazon Prime. Videos are the biggest thing for us. I love the history, science, etc. movies I can show the kids at a moment's notice - no ordering and waiting for DVDs to arrive. I shop late at night and despise going into stores so that right there makes Prime worth it to me. We could probably drop it and readjust but I'm just to lazy. I've grown accustomed to click ordering/watching and having things delivered to my door quickly.

• Like 1

It's hard to imagine giving it up now...  We live in the middle of nowhere and I rely on it a lot.

But next year we plan to move to a major city.  Maybe we'll feel differently then?  We do use it for streaming TV shows and movies, but maybe something like Hulu would work for us.  We already have Netflix.

• Like 1

Oh I don't know. I have a love/hate relationship with Prime. I order often because it's easier than going to the store where I might spend more money on impulse purchases when I'm really only there for 1 thing - like a box of page protectors. But it irks me that I'm seeing the prices higher on Amazon than at other stores and I know they are adding shipping charges into their prices. I was also unhappy after they bought Whole Foods and things I bought disappeared from the shelves or increased in price. Like a few weeks ago I needed to replenish a bunch of our GF supplies ahead of the holiday baking and every single item was cheaper and sometimes significantly cheaper on Kroger's website...........and Kroger has free shipping with a $35 order. Then over the weekend, I was watching toy sales for Christmas purchases and it just seemed like Amazon's pricing copied Target's and Walmart's sales brochures so even though the prices were the same, I placed my orders with Target. But then there are the things I just can't find anywhere locally and it's a million times easier just to purchase from Amazon. But for Christmas this year, except for toy sales, we are intentionally choosing more local and small businesses for our purchases. Too many stores I loved have closed and I've got to support the remaining ones if I want them to remain open.

• Like 3

I don't think I could do it.  I live too far from the city, and enjoy being able to just order when I need it instead of waiting for it to add up to get free shipping.  We don't use video very much, once in awhile.  Although.... I'm really starting to believe that Amazon is overtaking Walmart as "the Evil Empire". So, the guilt is starting to creep in.

If you're only using it for the shipping, I can see why paying for Prime bites. I don't pay for any other video streaming like Netflix or Hulu, so we use the Prime video a ton. I basically never need to buy music because my bad taste is almost completely fed by the Prime music offerings for free. Sometimes I'll want a single song for a video or a thing I'm studying with ds, and they'll have the song for free with prime. And although I haven't done it (my bad), you can also store your photos with amazon as back-up. Now that my little tv in the kitchen is hooked up with an amazon fire tv cube, this is even snazzier. And did you know your amazon kindle app should be giving you options on a bunch of books to borrow for free? I'm just starting to play around with it, but they have tons of wonderful children's books, including picture books for ds. Much easier than fiddling with the library and the lists they've curated were really nice!

Amazon saves my butt so regularly with their 2 day shipping, I can't imagine being without it. You can get free shipping at $25, but you don't get the speed. I don't want to admit how much I shop on amazon, lol, but it's a lot. And reality is some things I buy I need PRONTO. And it's true, where I live the shipping actually works out that fast. 

So you can toss and see if you die, sure. You won't die, lol. I just find for me it's the total package, all those components, that makes it worth it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-rap said:

But next year we plan to move to a major city.  Maybe we'll feel differently then?  We do use it for streaming TV shows and movies, but maybe something like Hulu would work for us.  We already have Netflix.

We never had prime but we do live bordering a major city. We are about 10miles from the brick and mortar Amazon Books.

It really depends on location and what you can do without. We are in the one day shipping zone for Prime and on the very rare occasion we need something urgent that is cheaper at Amazon and not in stock nearby, my husband’s colleague is willing to help and it gets delivered to his workplace before he gets off work. Most times my husband could just swing by Target, Best Buy or Walmart on the way home and get them to price match Amazon.

The only thing we watch is on YouTube so internet which we already need for online classes is good enough for us.

All the used textbooks we bought were not on Prime. Either the seller absorb shipping into their price or we pay a few dollars for shipping. Often we can get from the brick and mortar Half Price Bookstores if we have the book list from the outsourced classes early. 

The items that are discounted for Prime members at Whole Foods are not things that we buy so the discounts aren’t enticing. We also have a Safeway supermarket that is a 10mins walk down the road so groceries and toiletries are easily taken care of. Our nearest library is just next to it.

So it really boils down to location and needs.

• Like 2

I have had Amazon Prime forever, and I used to be such a big fan.  I'm really not so much anymore. Things don't reliably reach me in 2 days like they always used to.  Prices have gotten higher on items and there are a lot of counterfeit items that you have to watch out for.  

I don't use any of their streaming services and don't access any of their music, so I am really only using the "fast" shipping.  The only reason that I haven't canceled it is that the cost of it is not in any way a financial hardship for us.  But I agree with others who think that Amazon is replacing Walmart as the Big Bad, so I might eventually cancel it for that reason.  At any rate, I am going to try to start ordering more from other places and only use Amazon if I can't find the item anyplace else.  Perhaps I will be ready to cancel Prime then.  

• Like 1