Menu

History HSC in NSW Australia

Hi, 

Anyone here from NSW, Australia? 

I don't have a high schooler yet but am looking at how WTM aligns with the History HSC or high school curriculum in general. Is it possible to teach history classically and still get approval to home school by NESA/BOS? 

If this question better fits elsewhere, please suggest to me where I can post it. Thanks!

We are in NSW with my last child in Year 10, registered NESA and happy to share our experience – although I do not know anything about the HSC History syllabus and have only loosely followed the WTM!

The NSW NESA history curriculum essentially follows the four year history cycle over Years 7 - 10, so when DD started Year 7 we started started in ancients with 'middle school' style resources and have just adjusted the level of difficulty each year as appropriate. In our case because DD has a June to June registration period we have a little bit of extra time next year when she would technically be in Year 11, but we have chosen to register as doing extension Year 10 work instead which means we are able to spread the history cycle over 5 years allowing more time for rabbit trails. (I have found that in 7 - 10 there has been some flexibility in the timing of our content delivery.)

There are other options for further study that suit DD better than self-studying for the HSC, so I have not looked into HSC History at all, but my understanding is that there is little leeway when registering for Year 11 and the the expectation is that you follow their syllabus closely (although I have no personal experience of this so could easily be mistaken).

• Like 1