Menu

AOPS Prealgebra: Online Book or Hard Copy?

Or both?

My oldest dd is in BA5 and Singapore 5.  I've read the fence-sitters thread and I think I've decided on AOPS prealgebra, possibly with Singapore CWP 6 interspersed as an occasional brain break.  Having looked at the samples on the website, I like how the online copy has everything together, the questions, videos, and solutions easily accessible, but I am concerned that if the solution is just a click away, dd will not be inclined to work too hard t trying to solve any questions that she doesn't immediately understand.

How has this worked for those of you whose children have used the online book?

I’ve just ordered the physical book down in Aus.  I think someone said the online book is only for one student?  Which would be really expensive by the time I go through all 3.  Plus I know the temptation would be to be really hands off for me with an online book.

Edited by Ausmumof3

I tend to fall in paper hard copy textbook. Read a number of studies about how the brain processed information on screens versus pages. Also the eye strain issue is a concern for us because he already wears glasses. Generally speaking he is staring at a screen too much as it is.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

I’ve just ordered the physical book down in Aus.  I think someone said the online book is only for one student?  Which would be really expensive by the time I go through all 3.  Plus I know the temptation would be to be really hands off for me with an online book.

I created an email and AOPS account just for the online book.  Each user can then have their own alcamus account and share the book.  I got the hard copy as well though so I can use one while D's uses the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just bought this, the hard copy.  I can't stand the idea that a book I "bought" I might not be able to access later.  I'm hoping when it's dd2's turn for prealgebra, I'll be able to use the same book.

I think if I was considering buying both, I'd start with the hard copy to try first, and then add the online copy if I felt we would make use of it.  If the hard copy was fine, I could avoid the second purchase.  You could do it the other way round too if you wanted.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:20 AM, Slache said:

Is there a time limit to PDF ownership?

No. And it isn’t PDF or printable.  It is much like the text, however the problems have blanks for you to type in your answer, the video lectures are integrated, and it’s of course on a screen.  

I prefer both.  

• Like 1