Menu

Aldi cat food?

summerreading

I don't know anything about it.

Meat by product as an ingredient bothers me more than a specific by product (like chicken, beef, etc.). "Meat" is a total mystery term.

You might poke around on Google and see if you can find out who manufactures it (although it's often difficult/impossible to figure out). There are only a handful of large scale pet food manufacturers in the U.S., and so they're contracted to make food for many labels. I feel much more comfortable about some manufacturers than others (for example, I would never ever ever use anything manufactured by Diamond). I'm probably a bit more paranoid about manufacturer than I am about ingredients. The best ingredients in the world mean nothing if the food is contaminated during processing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't know anything about it.

Meat by product as an ingredient bothers me more than a specific by product (like chicken, beef, etc.). "Meat" is a total mystery term.

You might poke around on Google and see if you can find out who manufactures it (although it's often difficult/impossible to figure out). There are only a handful of large scale pet food manufacturers in the U.S., and so they're contracted to make food for many labels. I feel much more comfortable about some manufacturers than others (for example, I would never ever ever use anything manufactured by Diamond). I'm probably a bit more paranoid about manufacturer than I am about ingredients. The best ingredients in the world mean nothing if the food is contaminated during processing.

DH has been researching the best kitty foods for our new kitten (just a wee bit obsessively, lol), and I'm curious what you know about Diamond. That manufacturer hasn't been one we've tried, I'm just curious if you don't mind sharing what you know. 

For the OP, catfooddb.com is a good resource for finding info on the various brands. It lists nutritional breakdown, ingredient analysis, reviews and so on. 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

DH has been researching the best kitty foods for our new kitten (just a wee bit obsessively, lol), and I'm curious what you know about Diamond. That manufacturer hasn't been one we've tried, I'm just curious if you don't mind sharing what you know. 

For the OP, catfooddb.com is a good resource for finding info on the various brands. It lists nutritional breakdown, ingredient analysis, reviews and so on. 

Diamond has had all sorts of trouble over the years that resulted in huge recalls and pet deaths. Everything from aflatoxin contamination (multiple times) that was proven to have developed in grain they improperly stored to production machinery literally held together with duct tape. The duct tape incident wasn't online rumor, the FDA inspection reports were posted. Tell me how you sanitize duct tape? Pets died because this crap company didn't take the time to fix its machinery properly. Now maybe they've gotten better in recent years. I don't know. I mostly homecook now so I don't follow the industry quite as closely as I used to. But Diamond is the one company whose history is so horrible I just can't bring myself to ever trust them.

I don't mean to sound like a snob (truly!) but I totally detest pet food ratings sites. I haven't yet looked at the one you linked to, but all the ones I've seen are . . .well, I just can't get started on a huge rant before I've had coffee. :wink: Take any of their ratings and anything else posted with a huge grain of salt and do your own research. Decide what your own priorities and criteria are. Much of what is preached as gospel on ranking sites as being "bad" or "good" lacks any scientific backing whatsoever. Whatever criteria any site uses for ratings (if they even state them--most don't) may not be your criteria (or, more importantly, may not be the criteria your particular pet needs to be his/her healthiest). Here and here are some food (ha!) for thought about pet food ratings. And again--that's not a perfect resource. But it presents just a bit of the other side of the story about ratings sites.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

We have one outdoor cat, who eats the DRY Aldi cat food (big bag) exclusively.
It's $1-$2 cheaper than the bags at Walmart.
Honestly, we love our cat, but are not overly concerned with the quality of the specific ingredients.
She's 15 years old, so technically it's kept her healthy. 

ETA:  Correct Age of Cat 😉

Edited by Beth S

41 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Diamond has had all sorts of trouble over the years that resulted in huge recalls and pet deaths. Everything from aflatoxin contamination (multiple times) that was proven to have developed in grain they improperly stored to production machinery literally held together with duct tape. The duct tape incident wasn't online rumor, the FDA inspection reports were posted. Tell me how you sanitize duct tape? Pets died because this crap company didn't take the time to fix its machinery properly. Now maybe they've gotten better in recent years. I don't know. I mostly homecook now so I don't follow the industry quite as closely as I used to. But Diamond is the one company whose history is so horrible I just can't bring myself to ever trust them.

I don't mean to sound like a snob (truly!) but I totally detest pet food ratings sites. I haven't yet looked at the one you linked to, but all the ones I've seen are . . .well, I just can't get started on a huge rant before I've had coffee. :wink: Take any of their ratings and anything else posted with a huge grain of salt and do your own research. Decide what your own priorities and criteria are. Much of what is preached as gospel on ranking sites as being "bad" or "good" lacks any scientific backing whatsoever. Whatever criteria any site uses for ratings (if they even state them--most don't) may not be your criteria (or, more importantly, may not be the criteria your particular pet needs to be his/her healthiest). Here and here are some food (ha!) for thought about pet food ratings. And again--that's not a perfect resource. But it presents just a bit of the other side of the story about ratings sites.

Thanks!

Oh yes, I agree about taking ratings with a grain of salt, for sure. The one I referenced is only one site he's been using for research; he likes that he can look up foods by allergens, for example (kitty doesn't have any food allergies that we know of; he's just curious and wants to know what we should potentially avoid, or in case a problem pops up in the future). 

I haven't seen the site, but DH is meticulous in his research and doesn't take any single source at face value. I just recommended it as place to start, should the OP be so inclined. :)

43 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thanks!

Oh yes, I agree about taking ratings with a grain of salt, for sure. The one I referenced is only one site he's been using for research; he likes that he can look up foods by allergens, for example (kitty doesn't have any food allergies that we know of; he's just curious and wants to know what we should potentially avoid, or in case a problem pops up in the future). 

I haven't seen the site, but DH is meticulous in his research and doesn't take any single source at face value. I just recommended it as place to start, should the OP be so inclined. :)

That's one of my issues with ratings sites. They list particular foods--usually grains or other carb sources--as potential allergens while often ignoring protein sources and veggies. The truth is that any food that contains protein molecules can trigger an allergy. That's pretty much anything other than oils. So if you want to avoid allergens you'd need to avoid food. I had a dog who was fine with all the supposedly evil stuff like corn and wheat, but he reacted horribly to carrots. Yes, carrots. Every vet study I've read says that statistically proteins are MUCH more likely to trigger allergies in pets than carbs are. But it's not trendy to point that out 'cause protein is all the rage and it's "in" to bash carbs. So research backed science is ignored and can (and fairly often does, IME) lead to needless pet suffering.

ETA: I just poked around on the site you linked to. I looked at Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets canned food, which I happen to think is a very decent food for the price and the ease of finding it and how many cats I've personally seen do well on it. They list meat by product as a potential allergen, but list turkey as a quality ingredient (and not a potential allergen). That makes absolutely no sense at all since turkey is a very common food allergy trigger for cats. Stuff like that drives me nuts.

Edited by Pawz4me

I've found the canned cat food from Drs. Foster and Smith brand to be a decent compromise between quality ingredients and price. I keep an eye on their sales and usually purchase a couple cases when they are 20% off.

I used to feed almost exclusively dry cat food for convenience and had cats do very well on it.  One lived well into her 20's.  However, I then lost a beloved cat who developed kidney problems.  The dry diet may have been a major contributor.  So, now I use can food.

edited to add: current discount code for Drs. Foster & Smith:  UR20DEAL

Just used it and got 20% off regular and clearance price items.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 1:38 PM, Pegasus said:

I've found the canned cat food from Drs. Foster and Smith brand to be a decent compromise between quality ingredients and price. I keep an eye on their sales and usually purchase a couple cases when they are 20% off.

I used to feed almost exclusively dry cat food for convenience and had cats do very well on it.  One lived well into her 20's.  However, I then lost a beloved cat who developed kidney problems.  The dry diet may have been a major contributor.  So, now I use can food.

edited to add: current discount code for Drs. Foster & Smith:  UR20DEAL

Just used it and got 20% off regular and clearance price items.

Thanks I will check them out. 

Well I checked out Aldis and the only one not fish, at least at my store, was turkey. Nothing wrong with that but one flavor will get old fast. I don't want to give my cat fish too often. I am worried about mercury build up. The first ingredient just said "meat" by product so yes I guess that could be anything. For now I'm going to stick to Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise wet food and look around for some other brands to rotate through.

Thanks for all the replies.