Menu

Tipping movers???

mlktwins

So... my dad’s move to his new home is happening Saturday.  We’ve hired movers, which DH and I have never used in a move before, and will be the ones to review the final bill before the movers leave.  Assuming the movers do a great job, do we tip them individually?  What would be an appropriate amount?  There will be 3 movers.

Agreeing with the tipping.  We paid $20 per person, and $50 for the team leader. 
It was money well spent, as our moving team did a great job.
I was glad to have found out about the need to tip (via the internet) beforehand.

ETA = we also provided some soda cans, but they finished the job before lunch (& didn't expect snacks/meal).

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

We had a full size semi truck move and paid the 3 guys $100/each plus bought them lunch.  They worked extremely hard on a hot day in August.

ETA: It's really nice to provide them with waters/drinks and some type of food for lunch.  One day we brought a bag of burgers and fries.  The other day we provided them with pizzas.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys
  • Like 1

We had a pretty big move. We had a week or so in between loading and unloading. I think we tipped them each $20 on each end but maybe $25-30. We definitely wanted to tip on the front end as we knew they would be the same guys unloading us and we figured a good relationship with them was worth it. We also had a cooler of drinks and some non perishable snacks available.

Our movers also packed (part of our relocation package). It felt so personal to have people handling all our stuff. We wanted them to like us when they were unloading 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

We had a pretty big move. We had a week or so in between loading and unloading. I think we tipped them each $20 on each end but maybe $25-30. We definitely wanted to tip on the front end as we knew they would be the same guys unloading us and we figured a good relationship with them was worth it. We also had a cooler of drinks and some non perishable snacks available.

Our movers also packed (part of our relocation package). It felt so personal to have people handling all our stuff. We wanted them to like us when they were unloading 🙂

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!!  I am going to have the phone number and order info ready for pizza delivery (for us and maybe the movers).

Teachermom2834, what non-perishable snacks did you have available?

We are moving 3 rooms full of furniture from my dad's single family home to a 2 bedroom apartment (there are elevators at the apartment and I've reserved one so it will just be the movers using it).  I don't anticipate this being a huge move.  It is cold here already and I'm praying for no rain.  The movers won't be moving in hot weather or anything.  I was thinking $20 to $30 per mover, but will have more on hand if we think more is in order.  

My dad (he is 83 and non-driving at the moment) is staying in a rental suite at the apartment building he is moving too.  I need to make sure he is fed, etc. too.  I will be more worried about him getting fed than me, DH and movers :ph34r:, but want to do something nice for them.  If I can have drinks and non-perishable snacks available in the apartment already, that would be easiest for me.  I am pretty much running 2 households right now and I am running on empty...

Edited by mlktwins
Correct poor spelling :-)

I moved this summer.  I hate tipping movers, but I usually do.  Every day have water and coke and gatorade in a cooler for them.  No need for snacks.  I've never seen any movers stop for a snack, though they are serious about their smoke break!   I do buy lunches.  We move a lot (military) and it gets seriously expensive.  They took 4 whole days to move us this last time, and the lunches got really expensive - about 6 people each day with various food needs, plus me and my two kids - it really added up. 

Next time I will just buy pre-made club sandwiches from the deli (veggies on the side), pick up condiment packets, and buy bags of chips, no asking what they want, they can pick off the things they don't like....  The thing is, every day it was different people working, so tipping at the end of the week was probably not the best idea, but that's what I did, I can't afford to tip everyone every day - no way!  And those guys moving our stuff up stairs and downstairs worked dang hard, so I felt like they earned it - a few of them had been there all week.  I tip everyone $20 as they get ready to leave on the last day.  That's it. $20's are easy to pick up and it feels like it's an okay amount.  

Best of luck with your dad's move!! 

We just had some packages of granola bars or protein bars and individual bags of chips I think. They did eat a few but not very many and they were things my kids would eat at the hotel as we were in between homes so it wasn’t wasteful if they declined. 

Gosh that move was so stressful I feel like I’ve blocked out a lot of the details! 

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

Oh goodness our movers in Alaska not only stopped for snacks and drinks, one day they brought a whole roasted pig to share.  They were lazy loafers, our painters couldn’t believe it.  They were on site for eight hours and worked maybe four, actively.  It was insane.  They got smaller tips than our really good crews here in the Midwest.

Haha is not the right emoji!  But wow!  I've never seen that before - even our Hawaii movers didn't bring a roasted pig!!

We had movers in DC who arrived at 10am and immediately took a smoke break.  And left at 2pm.  It was a long week.  I'm sure they had to drive around the beltway and their day started much earlier, but it was a total waste of time for us...

My oldest son worked for a moving company this past summer.  It was so interesting to hear his perspective, as we have been on the "other" side quite a few times as a military family. He had some good stories! He was always so appreciative of tips.  It really is a hard work.  Most of the times the crew all got the same amount, but there were some days when there was a marked difference in how hard different crew members worked, and the homeowner tipped accordingly for different people.  We tipped $20/person, and they were a really good crew.  I just didn't have any more cash!  

DS told us that during the summer, it's better to do things like subs because pizza or hot meals can just kind of sit in your stomach when it's really hot.  We ended up getting our movers a tray of Costco sandwiches, plus chips and grapes, and that went over well.  I had never thought of that before and I think we got pizza for our movers almost every time before, lol, at least one of the days.  Our movers never stopped for any snacks.  DS said he really wasn't ever concentrating on food, just getting the next thing.