Menu

Florida Algebra 1 EOC (End of Course) Exam help

My daughter took algebra 1 last year in Oregon (at a Classical Christian school), using Jacob's Algebra.  We moved to Florida this year, and there is a requirement here to pass the Algebra EOC in order to graduate high school.  She's already in geometry this year, but she still has to take/pass the exam.  Unfortunately: a) she tries to forget everything she learns asap, and that was months ago, and b) the Florida algebra course seems to have covered a lot of topics she didn't learn last year (as it's supposed to be review in geometry but isn't for her).  So I know she'll need to study to take the Algebra EOC.  Does anyone have recommendations of what to use to study for this?  Florida homeschoolers, any particular curriculum that you've found is better than others to prepare?  We used to homeschool, and I was a math major, so I know we can do it - just need to know the best way to proceed.  I was only told "Kahn Academy" by her geometry teacher - but I'd really prefer something more formal, I think.  Although, if that really is the best method, I guess I just need to make sure she's doing it, since it's not something I can see/check myself.

Thanks!

Edited by HilJoy14
  • Like 1

Not Florida-specific, but ALEKS. It isn't free, but it'll identify weak areas. Not great at teaching new topics, but decent at review. If she doesn't like it for the teaching aspect, use it to figure out what she needs to work on more.

Edited by RootAnn
Added link to aleks
  • Like 1

"Unfortunately: a) she tries to forget everything she learns asap, and that was months ago, and b) the Florida algebra course seems to have covered a lot of topics she didn't learn last year (as it's supposed to be review in geometry but isn't for her)"

Bolded:  Of all the courses one should not do that with, Algebra 1 is THE course not to forget...

Possibly find out which textbook(s) the local Public high school is using to teach Algebra 1 and get a copy of that. Possibly use that along with something else.  She is going to need to take a deep dive and study Algebra 1 before she attempts that EOC exam.

Note: If FL is like TX, they may have previous versions of the Algebra 1 EOC on their web site that you can Download and get an idea of the scope of the material she will need to learn.

Going forward, if she is not solid in Algebra 1 she will probably have a lot of issues with Math...

Good luck to her.  

Well, she got A/B the entire time in algebra, so she was solid at that time.  Just that it's not at the front of her mind.  If I talk her through something, she remembers it, but when she reads the problem, it's not always clear at first.  (Especially since it's worded differently than when she learned it.)  The school we're at doesn't use a book (GRRRR - I hate that!!!) - my other daughter is in algebra right now, but there's no book.  Otherwise we'd just borrow that and be set.  :)

You're right - there are sample tests online, and we are going through those now.  Hopefully that gives us a starting place.  I (myself) do better with a real curriculum that we could just go through and see where she's weak, but maybe we're not going to find that.

For the FLVS algebra, from what I see, they have to be officially enrolled, and I don't think that will work.  I don't want her to have to do the entire algebra course again - just the parts she's weak (or hasn't learned yet).

Thanks for your replies (and keep them coming if anyone has more)!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My daughter is in 11th grade and attends public school. The EOC really isn’t that scary. Your child doesn’t need to ace it, simply pass it with a certain percentage. It’s really not that big of deal & if your daughter did fail for some reason, she won’t fail the grade. The school should give her another chance to pass it. Her geometry teacher is correct in suggesting Khan Academy. It really does cover math as taught in the public schools here & is constantly assigned to reinforce concepts (at least in my area). It will prepare your daughter well.

My son is in ninth grade and homeschools. We do use FLVS for a few classes, but I personally find the Algebra lacking and difficult for a non-mathy student to follow... so I personally wouldn’t go that route. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck❤️