Menu

Jetta's Physics or Dicentra's Chem for Accelerated Learner

SeaConquest

Now that people have had a chance to try out both of these courses, does anyone have any thoughts on which course would be more appropriate for a young, accelerated learner (5th grade)? Does one have a greater workload/output vs the other? Assume the appropriate Algebra skills for both classes. He struggles more with organization and output (because of his age and suspected ADHD) than understanding concepts/input. This year, he has been listening to Great Courses and Outschool Biology courses with minimal output, other than discussion with me. 

From an organizational point, both classes are fantastic.  My kiddo who took Jetta's class last year and is currently in the chemistry class has a number of mental and physical health issues which can make an online class difficult.  Both classes make it not only easy for the student to stay on task, they also make it easy for me as a parent to insert myself when needed because I can easily follow the plan.  I also like/d the pace and the workload of both classes.  There is time for a student to independently review or take longer without the class crawling.  I always liked the set due dates but yet flexible nature of the classes but this year the two week due date schedule in Connie's class is a godsend for us.  My daughter at time loses several days per week to feeling lousy, appointments or hospital stays and it is much easier for her to keep up within a two week time frame rather than one.  That's a special circumstance though.  

Both are great teachers, both are very supportive of the student and the parent.  I would have had no problem signing up my other kids at younger ages had I known about either class had they existed or had I known about them.  Both classes are rigorous and fun and I feel lay a solid foundation for those who wish to go on in those subjects.

I am comparing those to Blue Tent English which are good classes for my kids, but staying on task or checking what has been submitted and what is due/late is somewhat of a difficult task for me because of the website works.

• Like 1

My son (7th grade) is in Jetta's class and I probably would not have put him in earlier -- the concepts he probably would have been able to grasp but the workload is solidly high school level.  So while at this age (12, turning 13) it is perfect for teaching him executive functioning and time management, in fifth it would have probably made him hate physics! We were very low output for elementary school, ramped it up a little for sixth grade, and only for seventh does he really have a full load... which actually still wouldn't be a full load compared to others!  

For instance -- in fifth grade we did a lot of reading, documentaries, lots of crash course videos, fun experiments... for physics now every day there is a good 45 minutes of homework, (reading the textbook and solving practice problems),  there are alternating quizzes and tests, 1-2 labs with full lab writeup a month (which take around 1 hour for the lab and 1.5 hours for the writeup).  So the class takes generally 7-8 hours per week, counting the webinar -- it is his second biggest time commitment after Aops Intermediate Alg. 

Definitely a very worthy class, but I am thankful that we took it easy in elementary and waited until now to take it! But then again, my kids aren't necessarily driven.  They really protect their downtime:-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

My son (7th grade) is in Jetta's class and I probably would not have put him in earlier -- the concepts he probably would have been able to grasp but the workload is solidly high school level.  So while at this age (12, turning 13) it is perfect for teaching him executive functioning and time management, in fifth it would have probably made him hate physics! We were very low output for elementary school, ramped it up a little for sixth grade, and only for seventh does he really have a full load... which actually still wouldn't be a full load compared to others!  

I completely agree with SanDiegoMom.  My son did Jetta's class in 7th and is doing the chemistry class now as an 8th grader.  He is still learning time management, organizing his answers neatly, putting his name on his assignment, and dozens of other skills. I'm very hands off with his online courses.  He emails the teacher himself, scans his own assignments, and manages his own time.  I suppose with help he could have done it a younger age, but then why would I pay so much to outsource?  Reading books and watching YouTube videos are free.  There is a lot to be learned that way.  

• Like 1