Menu

Christmas Day food

school17777

We’ll be home on Christmas and various family will be in and out, no sit down meal.

I will make cinnamon buns or my dc will protest.  I’ll also make an egg casserole and cut up fresh fruit.  And I’ll have cookies and other goodies like fudge.  My mom will bring her famous queso dip, dh’s aunt is bringing chicken soup. Not sure what anyone else will bring.  I usually make a casserole, but I’m undecided if I really need to this year.  

Hoping to get some ideas from hearing about what you serve.

• Like 1

We do a similar assortment for breakfast (cinnamon rolls, sausage balls, fresh fruit, etc..) We nibble on that stuff most of the day.  At night we have trays to make sandwiches with deli meats, breads, veggies, etc... We have low key Christmas traditions though!

Edited by CaliforniaDreamin
  • Like 3

Not sure how Christmas is going to work out this year. My daughter works retail, and expects to work Christmas Eve, possibly till 10pm.  This means our typical Christmas Eve dinner of appetizer type foods (heavy on the cheese) is out.  So we might have that on Christmas instead of the big roast beef/mashed potato/3 vegetable sides dinner we usually have on Christmas Day. Which would be so fine with me!  

I do want to have waffles for breakfast on Christmas Day. Marion Cunningham's raised waffles, made with yeast with most of the work done the night before. So delicious. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Not sure how Christmas is going to work out this year. My daughter works retail, and expects to work Christmas Eve, possibly till 10pm.  This means our typical Christmas Eve dinner of appetizer type foods (heavy on the cheese) is out.  So we might have that on Christmas instead of the big roast beef/mashed potato/3 vegetable sides dinner we usually have on Christmas Day. Which would be so fine with me!  

I do want to have waffles for breakfast on Christmas Day. Marion Cunningham's raised waffles, made with yeast with most of the work done the night before. So delicious. 

I think I might try these waffles! Do you know if they’re airy and crisp in a Belgian waffle maker?

Big believer in easy and enjoyable. I'm making clam chowder, roasting chicken with veggies, and stuffed mushrooms. MIL and mom will make desserts.

I will likely buy disposable plates and cups so all I have to wash are pots and silverware/utensils. I normally don't do that, but we leave on the 26th for Huntsville, AL so I want to be resting in the afternoon and evening since I'll do all of the driving the next day.

The boys will want cinnamon rolls that morning, but I can't eat them and am allergic now to wheat so prefer not to handle it or inhale it though those reactions are quite mild. I decided to get them at the bakery the day before.

Leftovers and snacks around supper time. 

• Like 3

We do the same breakfast: egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, coffee. 

Plenty of chocolate and cookies, as well as cheese and fruit for snacks. Sometimes I make a hearty appetizer like mexican layered dip or buffalo chx dip. 

On years when we keep it low key, I get a ham, make a potato casserole and a salad. Done. Yes to the Christmas paper plates too! 

One year we had a huge breakfast and leftover Chinese for dinner!

• Like 1

It probably will just be DH and me. I usually do a few snacks after the Christmas Eve service. Last Christmas Day, we had oatmeal for breakfast. I made French onion soup in the crock pot and then went to see the National Christmas Tree. We had that after we returned, along with some special bread I bought. I also bought some individual desserts so we both were happy. This year, I’m thinking seafood lasagna😊 Christmas Eve, I plan on making a pot of chili and having snacks after Christmas Eve service.

• Like 2

We have always gone to other relatives' homes for Christmas, and I take a side dish or two and cookies and/or a dessert as our contribution. This year, we may have it here, though. I'm thinking I may have pulled pork for sandwiches, because I already have a bunch of it cooked and in my freezer and would just have to dump it in the crock pot. People can bring appetizers and desserts to round things out. Normally, I would want a nice roast or ham, but keeping it easy seems like a good plan for this year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mmasc said:

I think I might try these waffles! Do you know if they’re airy and crisp in a Belgian waffle maker?

I was going to say yes, because I thought our waffle iron is a Belgian.  But my husband said it is not. It's sort of between Belgian and "regular" in terms of depth.I looked up the recipe and San Francisco chronicle says they are not best done in a Belgian waffle maker.  So I guess the short answer is "I don't know." Sorry!

Edited by marbel
  • Thanks 1

We do the baked casserole type breakfast, with little smokies and cheesecake and fruit.  And mostly finger foods the rest of the day.

We have an open house type thing on Xmas Eve every year, and we make a giant vat of chili, so we may or may not have leftovers, if anyone wants a big bowl of chili.

We don’t do a big holiday meal.

• Like 1

We usually do cinnamon rolls and sausage for breakfast, then munchy stuff throughout the day—veggie tray, cheese, crackers, salami, chips, dip. I also keep a hot crock pot of spiced apple cider. Dinner is usually both my parents and ILs and whatever siblings have come to town. We do a potluck soup dinner. I put out rolls and salad and easy desserts (Costco cheesecake, whatever goodies have accumulated) and lots of disposable bowls and spoons 😬

• Like 1

Wait you eat FOOD on Christmas?  I thought it was "eat candy & junk from stocking" day.

Ok I am not that bad. We either way breakfast or supper at MIL depending on schedule of young kids with divorced parents.  Other meals for us are random whatever we can find.  Usually there are leftovers in fridge.  

• Haha 2

We do either cinnamon rolls or biscuits and gravy for breakfast.  I refuse to really cook, but I want something enticing for the rest of the family. 

Lunch this year is going to be traditional: ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, pineapples, some sort of vegetable, apple pie, pumpkin pie, eggnog, cider.

Dinner will be whatever is left over from lunch. 🙂

It's me taking on all the meals this year, and while we've done various things in the past, I'm going very easy on myself so that I can get lunch on the table at a reasonable time with minimal effort from myself.

On 11/26/2018 at 2:24 PM, school17777 said:

We’ll be home on Christmas and various family will be in and out, no sit down meal.

I will make cinnamon buns or my dc will protest.  I’ll also make an egg casserole and cut up fresh fruit.  And I’ll have cookies and other goodies like fudge.  My mom will bring her famous queso dip, dh’s aunt is bringing chicken soup. Not sure what anyone else will bring.  I usually make a casserole, but I’m undecided if I really need to this year.  

Hoping to get some ideas from hearing about what you serve.

One year my sister and I did appetizers for the Christmas meal. We made different ones throughout the day and just kept them coming every few hours. Anything difficult was prepped ahead of time, but everything was heat and eat that day. Everyone loved it!

• Like 1

Cinnamon rolls for breakfast. 

Dried fruit and nut platter, a large sampler platter of salamis, ham, cheeses, crackers, hummus, pita from Costco.  I was there yesterday and won't be back until January. I'll serve fresh veggies like peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and scallions with it.  I have lemon and orange sugar cookie dough in the freezer too, so we'll have cookies with our stocking treats. Leftovers for the next day too.  If anyone needs me, I'll be in my jammies drinking mimosas, eating chocolates, and crafting.   I've had a longstanding tradition of not getting out of my jammies on the 26th.