Menu

HUGE AAPC sale--If you want books on Interoception, autism, challenging behaviors...

PeterPan

https://aapcpublishing.net  Sorry I'm kinda late posting this, but if you've been wanting anything on interoception, autism, etc., this might be the time to get it. 

Here's some things that might interest people...

Kelly Mahler's book and assessment forms for Interoception

Ruth Aspy's book on Challenging Moments in autism

Talk with Me by Kelly Mataya (conversation skills, Ruth Aspy says it's fab)

Stuck Strategies--I snapped a page out of this at the convention and it was super good

Building Social Relationships 2 by Bellini 

I Hate to Write (writing and autism)

Asperger Download-I think the first person descriptions will be helpful for my ds

Rules and Tools--looks really good

Beyond Words-looks at nonverbals. Brand new, hot off the presses.

Conversation Club (text and storybook)-I saw this at OCALICON and thought it might click with my ds. Very charming, uses stories and prototypes. 

Power Card Strategies 2.0--simple concept, but the way it was explained to me it has TONS of potential

Totally Chill--workbook for anxiety

Drawing a Blank--book I think we've talked about before for reading comprehension, don't know if it's really great ot nor

Open Arms--This intrigues me

Friendly Facts--I saw it at OCALICON

Show Me--again, not sure I need to buy, but the concept is intriguing

Everyday Classroom Strategies--trying to figure out if this is a borrow or a buy. I found this link explaining it. https://www.silvereye.com.au/AutismSA/documents/sample_pages/prod4265.pdf The info is probably stuff we've heard before, but they've organized it for their NEST inclusive teaching approach used in some NY schools. More on NEST, with some helpful examples of things they do https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/al170/TECArticle.pdf 

Teaching Time Management--This is something I always think I know something about and could do better on.

Staying in the Game--on generalizing social skills by working on them in a variety of intentional contexts

Quality Literacy Instruction for Students with ASD--I don' tknow if this will add anything, but it's worth a try. Found used on amazon for less

Successful Problem-Solving--Saw this and immediately thought of Kbutton! :)

Hidden Curriculum for Elementary--has anyone seen this? It's hard to find samples

Hidden Curriculum for Employment--I found this pdf overview, and it's GOOD STUFF. Might be great for teens/high schoolers preparing to go into work, etc. Definitely look at the pdf, because the stress levels info alone is worth a TON. http://cdd.unm.edu/autism/pdfs/ImagineConference/Myles-Breakout.pdf

Hygiene--Mahler coauthored this and I saw it when I went to her talk. It's not the kind of thing that my ds needs every bit of, but there's enough good that for half price or from the library or borrowed it would be good. The book is extensive and thorough and really good, just saying it's stuff that we've maybe half worked through and it's able to go through kids needing very significant support/instruction. 

• Like 2

Yes!!! I talked with Ruth Aspy at the convention (she's a co-author) and she highly recommended it. She said that Kerry Mataya's clients have beautiful speech, very natural. I don't know if I saw it at the AAPC table at OCALICON. I think I may have. I went ahead and ordered a couple other things for conversation as well because I had seen them. We're still plugging through the one from Northern Speech Services, which I like. The Conversation Club set has on the younger side, maybe not as thorough and meta and whatever as TWM, but from what I saw it was just cute and right where he thinks. I viewed it sorta like Winnie the Pooh, that sometimes something really simple that makes some clicks can be good. So not swanky or an end point or permanent, but right where he is. We'll see.

Did you see Destination Friendship? This book fascinates me, and I spent a lot of time drooling over it at the convention. It's not that it's so mind-altering, but it gives you SO MUCH for making social outings (or playdates!) more productive. Goals, rubrics, etc. Ruth Aspy talked about that, how we need more hours but there HAVE to be goals and feedback, that if there's no feedback the person isn't going to grow and change. Now I think feedback can be subtle, not a checklist. Still, the DF options for each type of outing were so cool and would be so easy to cherrypick from to improve reflection and promote growth. I think it's the gap between having and outing and GROWING with the outing. Playdates are a premium thing here, so to make them more productive seems really good. 

I got the A 5 Could Make Me Lose Control! set, because I think it will pair well with the work we're doing on interoception. Did you see Kelly Mahler's Interoception book is there? And the assessment pack. What a fabulous, fabulous value to get it 40% off, my lands. You get 10 assessment booklets and the 18 pics printed on glossy, thick cardstock, just very nice for the money. It took us several hours to get through the entire assessment, but it was well worth our time and very informative as a baseline. I'll redo it later (6 months, I don't know) to track progress. For the small sum at 40% off, it would totally be worth it. The new curriculum sounds like it's going to be out by january, so that's in the wings too. 

Some of the books I wanted I realized I could get from OCALI (lending library), so once my account goes through I'll do that. I tried to focus on books I'd want to highlight or use more, not something I'd just use once to get the big picture and then laminate a page from. OCALI had tons of stuff. I so wanted to see the strategies book for NEST, and they had that. 

22 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Hidden Curriculum for Employment--I found this pdf overview, and it's GOOD STUFF. Might be great for teens/high schoolers preparing to go into work, etc. Definitely look at the pdf, because the stress levels info alone is worth a TON. http://cdd.unm.edu/autism/pdfs/ImagineConference/Myles-Breakout.pdf

I got this.

And I got this along with the student guide: https://aapcpublishing.net/the-integrated-self-advocacy-isar-curriculum-teacher-edition.html

I looked at the problem-solving one, and I think I have that sort of information spread out over other resources. But this self-advocacy one looks golden, and it's an IEP goal for us. This would help form better goals and get it done. I am also hoping to do some kind of autism/2e-based course that I pull together from resources like these. I would make it a Practical Psychology class for credit. These books go a long way toward this sort of thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I got this.

And I got this along with the student guide: https://aapcpublishing.net/the-integrated-self-advocacy-isar-curriculum-teacher-edition.html

I looked at the problem-solving one, and I think I have that sort of information spread out over other resources. But this self-advocacy one looks golden, and it's an IEP goal for us. This would help form better goals and get it done. I am also hoping to do some kind of autism/2e-based course that I pull together from resources like these. I would make it a Practical Psychology class for credit. These books go a long way toward this sort of thing.

I have been thinking about getting the self advocacy books for ds.  It is also a goal for him this year.  

I have Talk With Me.  I got it when it first came out.  I quite like it, but it has proved to be tricky for ds.  I  should pull it off the shelf and try it again with ds.  So many good resources but only so much time!  Sigh, it gets harder and harder to fit everything in these days.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

I got this.

Ooo, I LIKE that!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Jennifer-72 said:

I have been thinking about getting the self advocacy books for ds.  It is also a goal for him this year.  

I have Talk With Me.  I got it when it first came out.  I quite like it, but it has proved to be tricky for ds.  I  should pull it off the shelf and try it again with ds.  So many good resources but only so much time!  Sigh, it gets harder and harder to fit everything in these days.  

Yeah, that wouldn't be shocking. Sometimes a program can be so conceptual that it's more than the kids are ready for. That's why I like this ball-throwing approach we're doing now and why I liked the story-driven conversation and talker-type studies I ordered. I know those fit him, even if Mataya/TwM is out there.

Well interesting that y'all are going the same way! I'm behind you. Well the psych is doing some self-advocacy stuff. I think the interoception work will fit with that. And who knows, his sensory profile could shift. He should at least be more AWARE of it, if we succeed. But yeah, self-advocating is huge.

The other thing I'm finding people finally talking about is that self-advocating can't necessarily be the way NT people want. So like if you meet Chloe Rothschild, who has been working with Mahler (Interoception), they'll do talks together and Chloe will switch over to AAC. She's verbal, but she switches. I've been thinking about my ds, who is verbal but who maybe would benefit from some alternatives when things are hard. I think it's really crunchy if we say advocate and they don't have lots of acceptable ways to advocate. 

Says the woman who's ds was going to bed every night in underwear because he couldn't reach his box of night pants to refill the drawer, sigh. And after days of smelling his laundry I'm like DUDE are you stressed, what is wrong, what is going on, and he STILL couldn't tell me!!!!