Menu

Moving Back to the US

Shoes+Ships+SealingWax

We have been living overseas for a number of years, and have recently been presented with the possibility of returning to the US. None of the possible cities are where we lived previously, and none are any nearer to family than the others so we really don’t have a lot to go on! 

I’ll be doing my own research, of course, but I’d love to hear what you have to say about the following cities - homeschooling community, climate, overall “vibe”, best areas / suburbs (& those to avoid). 

Salt Lake City, UT
Cincinnati, OH
Atlanta, GA

Welcome back!  If those three were my options I’d probably choose based on practicalities like finances and climate primarily.  Even the “strict” homeschool states would not deter me if I wanted to go somewhere.  Sorry I don’t have more useful advice but I wanted to wish you well!

• Like 1

I'm in Utah, this is a very family friendly and very homeschool friendly state. We are near Ogden so a bit of a commute from Salt Lake but I can recommend Bountiful, North Salt Lake, Centerville or anything in that area as good places to live. These are all north of SLC I know there are great places south of the city as well but I am not as familiar with them. We moved here from California eight years ago and have loved it.

How old are your kids? What kinds of activities might they be interested in? Are you looking to be part of a religious community? What are your family's interests?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maize said:

How old are your kids? What kinds of activities might they be interested in? Are you looking to be part of a religious community? What are your family's interests?

Ds would be 6 or 7 by the time we came over. He is highly social and very active - enjoys playing soccer, tennis, and liked gymnastics as well when he was doing that.

We homeschool secularly, but may seek out a church eventually. We are fortunate to be part of one currently that is very diverse and puts kindness, inclusion, and compassion above all else. 

We love board games, sightseeing, festivals, and visiting museums / aquariums / zoos. We like a variety of foods from around the world & I enjoy cooking. None of us have ever lived anywhere with snow, but are open to it.

I have never lived in one of those 3 cities, but my assumption is that it would be less expensive and more relaxing to live in Cincy or Salt Lake than in the Metro Atlanta area. 

I don't know what took  your family to Hong Kong, but I have read that there is much more of a "culture shock" when returning to the USA, than when leaving it to go to a "foreign" country.  

We live in South America (Colombia) so we are very close geographically to the USA and many things here are the same as in the USA, but I am assuming that Hong Kong is far different from the life you would have in the USA.

Good luck with your decisions!

52 minutes ago, Lanny said:

We live in South America (Colombia) so we are very close geographically to the USA and many things here are the same as in the USA, but I am assuming that Hong Kong is far different from the life you would have in the USA.

There are certainly differences, but you’d likely be surprised how similar things are to any other large city. It’s crowded (on a whole ‘nother level!) and busy downtown, but the outlying areas are quieter. The public transit is amazing.  There’s an endless supply of things to do and see. It’s very diverse racially, culturally, and spiritually. 

We return to the US for about a month each year and I absolutely agree about reverse culture shock. Heading overseas you EXPECT everything to be different, so any time it isn’t you are pleasantly surprised. Returning “home” you expect things to be easy and natural, so when they aren’t... the surprise is less pleasant. You also see your home through a fresh pair of eyes; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Heading to a completely new region of the country we’ll still be anticipating a lot of change, but also looking forward to things we’ve missed! Funny how it’s always the “little stuff” you miss most - drink refills, dressing rooms, return policies... 🤣

• Like 1

I would choose Cincinnati.  Choice of three states - Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky.   Ohio is very homeschool friendly with homeschool groups and venue organized classes for homeschoolers.  Other people could provide information about Indiana and Kentucky.

Cincinnati has museums, a renowned zoo, aquarium (across the Ohio River in Newport, Kentucky), recreational and major league sports, theatres, parks, and amusement parks.  Several other cities, and state and national parks/historic sites are within a few hours drive.  

The only downside is the weather - midwest winters tend to be gray and dreary.  Average winter temperatures will be colder than in the other cities you are considering.  Summers are hot and humid, but cooler than in Atlanta.