Menu

full day program, extra-curricular

I am looking for a full day program once a week where I can drop the kids so I can work. I will be getting a babysitter for the younger two but I would like something more for my K and 2nd grader that could be considered part of their education and provide some social opportunities. There are some outdoor programs but they are an hour away and $$$. I thought maybe hearing what is available in other areas would at least give me an idea of what to google! Or any other creative ideas 🙂 

Check your local arts center as sometimes they offer homeschool classes during the day. Connect online and in person with other homeschoolers; they will know what is available in your area. Otherwise, I would see if the sitter can drive the older two to classes during the day. Check out the library as well. 

You can leave simple things for the babysitter to do such as: educational videos, play a math game, make sure the girls do work on the computer, reading time, listen to audio books, etc.. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the places I’ve lived there was only one such program, run by the school district.  So you were a public school student doing school at home and had reporting and accountability to the school. And it was free.  Once a week you went to the building for classes.  Maybe search “alternative” “day school” or “public school home study” or similar.  We did not use the program but they had interesting classes.

If you don’t want public school you could look into drop off co-ops.  Many co-ops don’t take younger kids as drop-offs (parent must be on site), but you may find one. Be ready to pay.

Another option might be getting an  au pair. Your kids would get language learning and the one day a week you are gone she could read, play, do projects with them. 

Edited by Targhee

Around here there is a program like that called the Homeschool Ancillary Program.  Kids are there for a full day and take classes in art, music, drama, Spanish, gym, etc.  We have never participated because it is quite expensive.

In general child care is expensive...and that is just straight child care, not child care + education.  I know that in my area there is no part time work that would nearly cover a babysitter for two kids and a full day homeschool activity for two more.

Wendy

On 12/6/2018 at 8:14 AM, Lori D. said:

I thought that's what grandmas were for. 😁

At least, that's the grandma I want to be, if I ever get to be a grandma -- doing creative, educational, and fun games, projects, experiments, etc. with the grandkids.

Most grandparents I know are at work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/5/2018 at 3:00 PM, wendyroo said:

Around here there is a program like that called the Homeschool Ancillary Program.  Kids are there for a full day and take classes in art, music, drama, Spanish, gym, etc.  We have never participated because it is quite expensive.

In general child care is expensive...and that is just straight child care, not child care + education.  I know that in my area there is no part time work that would nearly cover a babysitter for two kids and a full day homeschool activity for two more.

Wendy

Thank you for the lead, I will look it up! I teach a course at the local university so it works out to about $30/hr. A friend recommended the YMCA program which is only 2x a month but it is only $20 per day per kid and I could probably find a friend to watch my younger two if I took her younger ones on alternating weeks. 

On 12/5/2018 at 2:14 PM, Lori D. said:

I thought that's what grandmas were for. 😁

At least, that's the grandma I want to be, if I ever get to be a grandma -- doing creative, educational, and fun games, projects, experiments, etc. with the grandkids.

I hope to do the same. We are very blessed to have both sets of grandparents living locally but neither is in a position to babysit. 

Why do I keep thinking you live near me?  Or at least in the same state?

Ah, well, we have a few programs here that do full days as part of co-operative or private/tutoring schools.  I can think of at least 3 privately run schools that offer a part time option.  The last one I looked at was about 45 minutes from my house and they theme each day of the week, with homeschoolers coming for 1-4 days, depending on what theme they wanted.  All day, 9-3, and I think clubs were available after.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 2:30 AM, Frances said:

What about finding a bilingual student at the university to babysit them for the morning and then take them to some sort of after care program for the afternoon.

Genius! A bilingual student would be great as foreign language is probably the subject I am LEAST prepared to teach!