Menu

MFW 1st grade

sassenach

We're doing mfw K this year, and I'm debating whether or not to do it for 1st grade. Part of me wants to piece meal things and do FLL, ETC, HWT, and fill in science/history just with library books. But, I really have enjoyed MFW K, and if their 1st grade is as good, I think that would be nice too.

Does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks,

Well I started this year using SL's new LA1. I narrowed it down to just the Explode the Code books and now we're using MFW 1st. We are really enjoying it. Like you, I'm schooling 2 older boys and the thing I like about MFW is the simplicity. You may like "piecing", but I like not even having to "think" about his stuff. We do a Bible story, workbook page, reading and we're done. I use MUS and he does Science w/ the rest of the family, but as far as LA/Bible/History (whatever you want to call it) MFW has been great!

I am on my 2nd time through and I just LOVE how it is all integrated with the bible and History (language,memory,dictation, spelling,phonics). It is awesome for boys because it is sweet,short and simple. Great for my short attention span 6yods. And it produces a great reader.

Cant say enough good about it! I also love how it grounds them in the "Big Picture" of bible history.

I have tried MFW K two different times with two different children. I really did like it, but we fizzled out on it both times. That is no reflection on the program, it is super but not what I really needed for K. However, I have taught MFW 1st with GREAT results and will definately use it again next year with my current Ker. I think I will scale back on the copywork a bit this next time around, but other than that I'll use it just like I did before. When we used it, I also used FLL, HWT and ETC alongside it. No, this absolutely is not necessary but I just love all three of those resources and we had begun them in K. So, I just continued them and it worked well. I am very relaxed with my boys for both K and First, so it was not overwhelming to use all those different things. We just did what we wanted to do each day and kept plugging away.

I think if you like K, you will probably love First Grade. It has a different feel than K. The phonics lessons are very effective. About mid-way through, it all clicked for my son and his reading just took off. Way before he finished the First Grade, he could read his KJV Bible all on his own. He could read just about anything really. You don't need ETC with First, but I enjoyed using it. I used ETC for those days when we didn't want to do much work but I thought he would benefit from a few minutes of phonics practice. I used HWT the same way. Just for those days when we weren't going to get around to "school" and he could do those lessons quickly.

The book list in First Grade has titles on both math and science topics. My local library had alot of those. We also read many books on nature study type topics. Nature study goes along with First very well. We read many of the Thornton Burgess books and poems that focused on nature. I didn't use anything else for math. Just the MFW lessons and the living math books. I really like the math and it was just what we needed. My current Ker is already using MathUSee, so he will use that with MFW but again, it isn't necessary.

My son LOVED the timeline and it is still up to this day! He is in 3rd grade now. Many times, my younger son has asked when he will get to start his. He also says he wants to read the Bible himself and I tell him he will use the Bible Reader next year and then he will be able to read the actual Bible before he knows it.

So, I highly recommend it... especially if you like K.