Menu

I need some Alcumus Help

Gil

Is there a way to set Alcumus problems to cycle back around or to repeat itself?

The website says that Alcumus has 13000 questions, but it seems like it only has a few questions for each focus per subject then its green and you can't go back to that type of problem...what am I missing?

Does anyone know if Alcumus will be expanded to include material from the intermediate series?

Also, can I deactivate the Forum access for an account, and if so, how?

Alcumus will automatically occasionally throw out review questions from previously passed topics. Admittedly, they're relatively infrequent.

You can manually change things though. While in Alcumus, go to the left hand side and hit "settings." There you can change it so that Alcumus progresses on mastery (blue) instead of passing (green). That'll give you a base line of more questions per topic. You can also change the difficulty level in the settings if you want.  Then return to play and look up to the top right. You'll see in teeny tiny print "change focus" directly under the left-hand side of the progress bar for the current focus. Click that and you can choose a different topic to practice.

If a topic was previously passed (green) and you changed the settings to mastery, it will move you forward as soon as the bar turns blue. As far as I can tell, if you return to an old focus that was previously mastered to blue, it will not kick you forward again until you manually change the focus. I don't know if this is always true, but I once experimented with it and did 41/41 correct in a row on a topic without it seeming to repeat questions or ever pushing me along to the next focus. The progress bar stuck at 98; it makes me wonder if it's possible to get the bar to 99 or 100. Now, it WILL eventually start giving repeat questions if you do enough in one focus. My DS#1 has a few topics where's he's done 50+ problems and seen repeats.

I don't know about your other questions. If you don't get answers here, you might email AoPS customer service and ask. They're pretty awesome.

• Thanks 2

On 11/24/2018 at 1:50 PM, Gil said:

Does anyone know if Alcumus will be expanded to include material from the intermediate series?

I only just noticed this today, but they have Intermediate Algebra available on Alcumus now. Who knows how long it's been there (my son has it set to move on to the next topic after mastery, so we aren't usually looking at the topics/books).

16 hours ago, silver said:

I only just noticed this today, but they have Intermediate Algebra available on Alcumus now. Who knows how long it's been there (my son has it set to move on to the next topic after mastery, so we aren't usually looking at the topics/books).

Bummer! They must have just added it. My son is taking the online class now, and I bet they will include it for the next classes offered.  Right now he only has challenge problems and a writing problem which makes everything weighted more. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:15 PM, silver said:

Good find! DS had been about 95% done with Alcumus, and I said he should finish it off, but he hadn't done any at all this year. Now he's back into it. He already took the class but it's good practice.

• Like 1