Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

soror

4H VETERINARY SCIENCE

Recommended Posts

Has anyone used 4H's Veterinary Science books? 

Dd1 wants to be a vet when she grows up (as of now anyway) and wants to focus her science next year on studying animals and veternarians. Looking for ideas of things to use for science I found the 4H set and thought it could be perfect, maybe add a booklist alongside and we would be good to go. The TOC looks great but I'm not seeing an online sample (just lots of links) and I was hoping someone has used it. TIA

Edited by soror

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas A&M does free monthly webinars for kids 6-12 grade on various veterinary topics. I'll find the link and update when I can. Dd did several of them when she was leaning that direction. It couldn't be your spine, but it might be a nice supplement. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the general website- https://peer.tamu.edu//

Here are some video lessons: https://peer.tamu.edu//VBB/VideoPresentations.asp

I can't seem to find the webinar sign ups or listings. Maybe they've stopped, but looks like they now have a lot of videos up to watch, so perhaps they've switched to that. If you poke through the lesson plans they have all sorts of resources, and some are aligned with 4H from the looks of it so might work well with the books you're wanting to use. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

Here's the general website- https://peer.tamu.edu//

Here are some video lessons: https://peer.tamu.edu//VBB/VideoPresentations.asp

I can't seem to find the webinar sign ups or listings. Maybe they've stopped, but looks like they now have a lot of videos up to watch, so perhaps they've switched to that. If you poke through the lesson plans they have all sorts of resources, and some are aligned with 4H from the looks of it so might work well with the books you're wanting to use. 

Wow, thanks so much they have a lot of great material! It looks it will be a great supplement to anything I use!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember where you are location wise, but I know TAMU has a Veterinary Open House every spring for kids and families that is pretty cool. Maybe if you have a Veterinary college within driving distance you could see if they have similar? I will be honest- it was a great experience for dd and it also showed her that this wasn't the path she wanted to go. I thought it was very valuable for that and coming to that realization early. She got to talk to a lot of the veterinary students and that was the most valuable part for us both. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

Here's the general website- https://peer.tamu.edu//

Here are some video lessons: https://peer.tamu.edu//VBB/VideoPresentations.asp

I can't seem to find the webinar sign ups or listings. Maybe they've stopped, but looks like they now have a lot of videos up to watch, so perhaps they've switched to that. If you poke through the lesson plans they have all sorts of resources, and some are aligned with 4H from the looks of it so might work well with the books you're wanting to use. 

This is very cool! Do you know if it's on the free homeschool sticky?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, OKBud said:

This is very cool! Do you know if it's on the free homeschool sticky?

I don’t know. I was using it long before I even found WTM! 🙂 So unless someone else added it I don’t think I’ve ever looked at that thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 1:57 PM, texasmom33 said:

I don't remember where you are location wise, but I know TAMU has a Veterinary Open House every spring for kids and families that is pretty cool. Maybe if you have a Veterinary college within driving distance you could see if they have similar? I will be honest- it was a great experience for dd and it also showed her that this wasn't the path she wanted to go. I thought it was very valuable for that and coming to that realization early. She got to talk to a lot of the veterinary students and that was the most valuable part for us both. 

No, we are not close enough to take advantage to that but that is a very good idea if this interest continues. I know part of the 4H program mentioned shadowing a vet and she thought that sounded interesting, I'm not sure what I could set up at her age but I'm going to call some vets and see the options. I think figuring out what you don't want to do is valuable as well. I think it is great she is thinking that direction even if she doesn't end up on that path (and at this point who knows she's only 11). But I've always told her we can tailor her studies to her interests so I'm going to follow her requests!

Edited by soror

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For two year in a roll, we visited to a big local vet hospital in the Door Open Day. Your DD can watch an animal dentist performing an oral surgery, talk directly to a vet and my daughter was told that she has to be good in math and science in order to be a vet. Ha, now I do not have to explain why she has to work on those topics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't used that program, but a couple of years ago oldest DD used the 4H equine science and it was really good.  From the link you posted, if you click on "purchase curriculum", it will take you to the website and you can click on each individual book in that series and then "look inside".  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TrustAndLove said:

For two year in a roll, we visited to a big local vet hospital in the Door Open Day. Your DD can watch an animal dentist performing an oral surgery, talk directly to a vet and my daughter was told that she has to be good in math and science in order to be a vet. Ha, now I do not have to explain why she has to work on those topics.

Cool, I've not heard of that I'll have to see where the closest vet schools are. 

2 hours ago, Jess4879 said:

We haven't used that program, but a couple of years ago oldest DD used the 4H equine science and it was really good.  From the link you posted, if you click on "purchase curriculum", it will take you to the website and you can click on each individual book in that series and then "look inside".  

Aha, I'd just looked on the sets I guess b/c they don't let you look inside, THANK YOU and thanks for the review of the equine science.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, check and find out if your state has an Ag Science governor’s school. At least the one in TN includes a pre-vet track. Here it’s for rising juniors and seniors and is free to admitted students (the admission process is basically the same as college admissions, though). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 6:42 PM, soror said:

No, we are not close enough to take advantage to that but that is a very good idea if this interest continues. I know part of the 4H program mentioned shadowing a vet and she thought that sounded interesting, I'm not sure what I could set up at her age but I'm going to call some vets and see the options. I think figuring out what you don't want to do is valuable as well. I think it is great she is thinking that direction even if she doesn't end up on that path (and at this point who knows she's only 11). But I've always told her we can tailor her studies to her interests so I'm going to follow her requests!

If you live in a small town or have a small vet practice she may be able to volunteer with a vet. My younger brother did that all through middle and high school. He definitely learned he didn’t want to be a vet as it made him so sad when the animals were really sick or had to be put down. He did enjoy walking animals and being around a variety of pets. It was a great experience for him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rachel said:

If you live in a small town or have a small vet practice she may be able to volunteer with a vet. My younger brother did that all through middle and high school. He definitely learned he didn’t want to be a vet as it made him so sad when the animals were really sick or had to be put down. He did enjoy walking animals and being around a variety of pets. It was a great experience for him. 

Yes, we do live in a small town and I've already talked to her about seeing if one of the local vets would allow her to volunteer, having more time for that is one of the perks of hs'ing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter started this program this year. She is really enjoying it so far. She is 15. If we had known about it sooner we would have started sooner, but I think the minimum age is 12- but I’m not sure about that. She is volunteering with a great vet here in town and has learned so much. We are just continuing to let her lead, but she’s pretty sure she wants to pursue the full veterinarian degree. If you want to PM me I can send you pictures of a few pages from the book so you can see a sample. I don’t get on here very often anymore, but I will have time to “hang out” more on winter break. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 7:48 PM, Free Indeed said:

My daughter started this program this year. She is really enjoying it so far. She is 15. If we had known about it sooner we would have started sooner, but I think the minimum age is 12- but I’m not sure about that. She is volunteering with a great vet here in town and has learned so much. We are just continuing to let her lead, but she’s pretty sure she wants to pursue the full veterinarian degree. If you want to PM me I can send you pictures of a few pages from the book so you can see a sample. I don’t get on here very often anymore, but I will have time to “hang out” more on winter break. 

@Free IndeedThank you for your response! Following the hints above I was able to look inside and see the pages. I'm glad to hear your daughter is enjoying it, it looks good from the samples. My daughter will be 12 this spring so it sounds like she might just be old enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...