Menu

We got a puppy!

Rachel

Meet Boone:

1521262B-CC77-4ECF-8BB9-826B6237A962.thumb.jpeg.38d2f6f2f4d2076ff7d25713b1d8a648.jpeg

6247D8B0-3683-44B4-AEE8-AE4AB0A92C4B.thumb.jpeg.182fff277746a7648e72356c2dba3f0e.jpeg

For over a year my husband had been asking about a chocolate lab pup.  One of my friends happened to have a litter, so as an early Christmas present, we got one.  So far he’s keeping us busy! He seems to need to pee every 10 minutes unless he’s asleep. The kids are learning they have to keep their toys and socks picked up too!

We have a couple options locally for obedience classes so we will begin those soon. In the meantime if you have training recommendations (videos, books, websites welcome) please pass them along. 

• Like 26

4 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

Congrats! He's beautiful! 😊

I should probably know this but, what breed is your other dog in the 2nd picture? He has the color pattern my dh really likes. Reminds me of our Sheppard mix we had years ago. 💞 

He looks kind of beagle-ish. Now I'm curious, too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MrsRobinson said:

Congrats! He's beautiful! 😊

I should probably know this but, what breed is your other dog in the 2nd picture? He has the color pattern my dh really likes. Reminds me of our Sheppard mix we had years ago. 💞 

He’s a beagle mix. We don’t know exactly what he’s mixed with, something with a wide torso. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

We're picking up our black lab puppy on Sunday! From experience, do as much training, as early as possible. Labs have an incredible capacity for training at 8-10 weeks old. Our 8yo lab learned almost everything he knows during that window.

We had two black labs and a yellow lab when I was growing up.  I really like labs!  

He’s 8 weeks right now. It’s obvious he is receptive to learning. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

He’s beautiful!!!  

How old?

I want one. Only Not the pee every 10 minutes part. 

You changed your avatar!

He’s 8 weeks. I’m sure he doesn’t actually pee every 10 minutes, it just feels like it. 😆

Puppies are kind of like babies, really cute but way more work than you remembered. 

• Like 2

Training advice. Praise every behavior that you like (lavishly).

Do encourage any behaviors that are cute now, but won't be when he's full grown.

Take him immediately outside after his naps to pee. As he does say a "codeword" and give praise. My word for peeing/pooping outside is "outside."

Search "bite inhibition" and my username on this forum to see my advice on the single most important training item for puppies (where I part company for the suggested techniques of Ian Dunbar but share his opinion that bite inhibition training is the single most important part of a puppy's education.

Have fun.

Bill

• Like 1

Measure out the puppy's food at the beginning of the day, for the whole day, and put it in containers around the house so you have easy access to grab some for rewarding good behavior all day long. For a puppy that age very little food would go in the food bowel in my house, just a bit to teach them about eating meals I guess, but most would be hand fed as part of training or in a kong. Kong addicts are a good thing!

• Like 1

Boone is enjoying his crate. We are keeping chew toys handy for him and he only whimpers a second or two when he goes in there. The only accidents he has had inside have been after he alerted us that he needed to go outside and we were slow getting shoes on. Holding him instead of keeping him on the leash while we get ready to go outside helps. 

He is stretching out the time between bathroom breaks, every couple hours during the day and only once in the middle of the night. 

He is also tolerating short walks on the leash, will sit briefly before eating, understands “go pee” although isn’t relieving himself on command yet.  He will come when my husband whistles for him.I’m amazed by what he is capable of learning at such a young age!

He went to work with my husband yesterday. About 6:00 my youngest asked when Boone would be home, he wasn’t worried about when Dad would be home. 😆

• Like 4