Menu

Shared DNA math & half siblings children question

Katy

If someone shows up on 23andme as a second cousin, but has more DNA in common than a second cousin typically does,  with several long strands in common, could that mean they are my father's grandchild?  Family legend is that my dad was a sort of an unofficial sperm donor to a married couple who couldn't have more kids due to a war injury in Vietnam. I'm wondering if this person, who immediately wanted to share genetic and family information but who wasn't interested in talking could be one of their children. Mostly because I got curious and cyber stalked this person and there is a VERY STRONG family resemblance, especially in recessive traits.

ETA: My father died long before 23andMe existed, so I can't have him tested. 

Edited by Katy

I'd say it's possible, but that there are also other possibilities. My 23andMe gives me several (predicted) second cousins with a wide range of percentages.  One is, straight up, my mom's cousin's daughter. (I know her personally.) Another is farther up and back down the tree. At least two are from a "half" branch from my great-great grandmother and her second husband's grandchild (or something like that.) The actual percentages that we share aren't way out of line with what I'd expect, but some of them seem unusually high compared to the others.

• Like 1

Have you tried dnapainter.com? I might help you narrow down the relationship.

also upload  your dna for free to Gedmatch and my heritage .   Between  all of those you might get more details. 

My cousins child shows up as a possible first cousin on ancestry.....my half sister shows up as close family.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Have you tried dnapainter.com? I might help you narrow down the relationship.

also upload  your dna for free to Gedmatch and my heritage .   Between  all of those you might get more details. 

My cousins child shows up as a possible first cousin on ancestry.....my half sister shows up as close family.  

No, I hadn't even heard of dnapainter.  Thanks!  I had a feeling you'd have good information for me.  I'll try the other two also.

2 hours ago, maize said:

What is the shared DNA %?

I think it was 6.9%.  I just remember noticing it was more than the typical second cousin range, but less than first.  I don't have it open right now.  I know it theory all the math can be thrown out the window because it's possible to have a wide range of DNA match even among full siblings.