Menu

Neighbor across the street

DawnM

got a Harley about 3 years ago, and man I want to shoot the tires out of that thing!

He revvs that thing up at 7am on Sundays for his "rides."  He has now become his "true self" from a clean shaven IBM exec to a full scraggly beard, loud, in-your-face type.   I don't care too much because we aren't friends and don't hang out or anything, but it is annoying.  And loud.  And we all have at least 2 acres, so it isn't like they are super close proximity wise either.

That is all.  

I get such a kick out of the Harley riders.  They have an image that they are all bad-ass young bucks, but actually they are 99% guys with their testosterone levels plummeting.  Partly I suspect because that is the group that can afford them, but still, I can't remember the last time I saw one ridden by someone under 40.

Even the outlaw bikers don't tend to be so big on them these days - I remember reading at one point that some Hell's Angles' chapters had to make rules requiring their members to ride their bikes to a certain number of meetings, because they prefered to drive their BMWs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

got a Harley about 3 years ago, and man I want to shoot the tires out of that thing!

He revvs that thing up at 7am on Sundays for his "rides."  He has now become his "true self" from a clean shaven IBM exec to a full scraggly beard, loud, in-your-face type.   I don't care too much because we aren't friends and don't hang out or anything, but it is annoying.  And loud.  And we all have at least 2 acres, so it isn't like they are super close proximity wise either.

That is all.  

This means he didn’t get a midlife crisis woman. I’ve been told it’s one or the other; especially for the white collar executive types. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

That is all.  

I’m so curious, is “loud, in-your-face” how he actually behaves, or is it just how you perceive the beard plus the motorcycle?

My husband has a beard and a loud Harley (I love that it’s loud because the cars hear him coming). We’re always entertained by how people perceive him based on his looks. People will cross the street to avoid him. 

He’s a pastor. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I’m so curious, is “loud, in-your-face” how he actually behaves, or is it just how you perceive the beard plus the motorcycle?

My husband has a beard and a loud Harley (I love that it’s loud because the cars hear him coming). We’re always entertained by how people perceive him based on his looks. People will cross the street to avoid him. 

He’s a pastor. 

Nope, I knew him before the very scraggly beard and loud Harley, he was loud and obnoxious and arrogant and racist and, and, and even back then.

Oh, Dawn, I'm sorry!  I don't like Harley's.  DH has an older motorcycle (not Harley) that he bought decades ago.  He hasn't ridden his in 25 or more years!  

Harleys are obnoxious - kinda matches this man, huh?  

I'm surprised he doesn't take into account his neighbors. 

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Nope, I knew him before the very scraggly beard and loud Harley, he was loud and obnoxious and arrogant and racist and, and, and even back then.

Got it, so the change from clean cut IBM guy to bearded Harley guy has nothing to do with his loud-mouthedness.  That’s just who he has always been.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

He’s a pastor. 

For people (and animals) who are sensitive to sound, loud vehicles and motorcycles can be quite painful and unpleasant. For people without these sensitivities, they may not understand how bad it can be for others.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Frances said:

For people (and animals) who are sensitive to sound, loud vehicles and motorcycles can be quite painful and unpleasant. For people without these sensitivities, they may not understand how bad it can be for others.

Oh, I don't doubt that. My commentary was more about the perceived connection between certain personality features and looks/hobbies.

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Frances said:

I should clarify- people will cross the street as he is walking down the street, if he has his gear on. They're trying to avoid his person, not his motorcycle (which I realize now is probably how you understood my post).

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

Got it, so the change from clean cut IBM guy to bearded Harley guy has nothing to do with his loud-mouthedness.  That’s just who he has always been.

But I didn't have to hear it!  And now he also quit his corporate job and started a landscaping business because he can't work for "the man" anymore.  

• Haha 1