Menu

Good source for bulk fidget toys, etc?

Dmmetler

DD had a struggle at her first cheer competition with her new team due to sensory issues, and when I talked to her former coach (who’s DD is on the same team) about DD keeping some of her calming items, etc with her to use while waiting if she needs it, she commented that if we gave all the girls some of those things as part of a comp gift, they’d likely love them-and DD wouldn’t feel different (and as an almost 14 yr old on a team going up to 19, she definitely is self-conscious). So, does anyone know of a good source that is less expensive than the special needs specific sites? Or good DIY ideas? 

I'm not saying this place has any deals, but they have the best TASTE in sensory stuff of any shop *I've* ever been in. I hit them at OCALICON and sorta drained my back account. LOL

http://puzzlepiecesllc.com/index.php  That's their site

Right now sequin stuff is all the range. This store had small stuffies with sequined backs, a variety of adorable shapes, and they were sub-$10. I think if you called and said you wanted 30 they'd cut you a deal, kwim?

Tangle Jr. Textured These are awesome. $5 I got them last Christmas for my kids, and my dd loved them and my ds was ambivalent and didn't know what to do with it. But as far as hip and ok, yeah. My dd, shh, wears hers as a bracelet in college. No joke, lol. And she was talking with one of the women in the dean of women's office and they're like what's your cute bracelet? And she's like oh that's my sensory thing so I can be in class and stay focused. :biggrin:

Sensy Band  I got one of these for my dd's stocking this year. They slap on, and slap bracelets are all the rage. It has nubs. $5

Playable Art Ball This is $30 but it's AMAZING. Like get her one for her bag and everyone will be JEALOUS.

Sparkle Pets- Dazzle the... These are $8 and the come in the MOST ADORABLE characters. These are small and would go nicely in a sling backpack with other things. Sequins are all the rage right now and they come on 12" pillows, body pillows, Shimmeez (big plush), medium sized plush ($22 Sequin Pets) and these small size $8. They were selling like total hotcakes at the convention because they'll go anywhere and be just enough. You pet them, brushing the sequins each way, and instant zen

They also had these things, not sure what they're called, and they would drip and ooze color. They had all kinds. I'm not sure I'd want them in a backpack, but they were cheap ($7) and also nice. Picked up one for ds. It's the kind of thing I'm going to put in our space, teach him to use by practicing every day for a week, and then it will be in the bin of choices.

Just for your dd and not something the kids would want, one of the presenters had this thing where they made a waiting task using velcro and eyes and any old candy container. I could take a pic because I snagged it as a door prize. My ds actually likes it, and the velcro is kind of satisfying. I think it could be kicked up, but it's just this sort of mundane, satisfying thing to RIP VELCRO. Also there are bubble popping toys at that Puzzle Pieces website. They didn't really do if for me, but that's just me. Some people just put in a sheet of bubbles, lol. Honestly, almost anyone likes bubbles. Maybe a roll cut up would be fun for the girls and not $$, lol.

They sell glitter wants that have objects, but that same presentation had someone make them with two bottles and glitter glue and extra glitter. I snagged their sample and my ds likes it. I think a novel shape and some lightweight objects inside could be fun. I haven't seen any to buy I really like, but I think there are better ones out there. The walmart ones are boring but the right idea, just not snazzy.

The FindIt toy was also at the booth so I picked that up. That would be heavy for a sling bag and $15-20, sigh. But still, if you snagged a deal or found a smaller version or made something it could be cool. Or just for your dd it could be cool and totally age-apprpriate. They had this new one at PP that was all white and shimmery, very teen-friendly. Ooo, found it! It's Find It Games Crystal and it's still available on zulily. They're all cute, so just whatever you like. There's a Glitz & Glam that is cute. The Crystal would be really challenging and hold teens I think. https://www.zulily.com/p/crystal-find-it-game-309484-53691492.html Not sure why I didn't buy it for my dd except $$$, lol. 

• Like 2

I think we have a plan-between Oriental Trading and Dollar Tree (bulk order and ship to store), it looks like we can get an assortment of various toys, sequin stuff, spinners, snap bracelets, maybe some smelly chapstick (DD definitely finds Vanilla calming), small puzzle games, etc. One of the moms works in advertising, and has assorted samples and extras from past campaigns that she can bring, so various stress toys, etc-they’ll have different names and the like on them, but the kids would probably be fine with it. I’m Also going tin experiment to see if the small, correct size for flying bottles would work to make a glitter bottle/snow globe. Then, at the Christmas party, the girls will assemble their own “De Stress Kit” and one for their little sister, since each of the girls has a little either on the CheerAbilities (developmental disabilities) or Youth team. One of the moms who sews (and has a DD with ADHD who could also use fidgets at a comp, so she’s definitely all-in about having a way for her daughter to have stuff with her, too) is making drawstring bags for the stuff that will fit in their backpacks, but can be pulled out and left backstage with their cover up). The CheerAbilities coach, who is a special ed teacher, will explain to the girls how each of the items can help relieve stress and anxiety, both for kids with special needs like autism or sensory issues or ADHD, and for people who are just a little stressed out that day, and how to support someone who is struggling in that sort of situation. 

The parents seem more than willing to contribute the cash that would normally be spent on a gift exchange gift-and to not have to go shop for one, which gives us a decent budget to work with. 

• Like 2