Menu

Ack!! YAY!! Ack! Now what?? (of college and such....)

TheReader

Oldest just got his official acceptance to his first choice school, to transfer in the spring (as in, he leaves in January). Yay!!!! 

We hadn't heard, so had settled on him attending his 2nd choice school, which is more or less local. He'd have still been on campus, but just a little ways up the road. Now (if housing comes through, which is kind of a big if, but we shall see....) he'll be 2-ish hours away and suddenly I have to face reality: my kiddo is moving out in January. Less than two months from now. Ack!

No real question or anything, just....ack! And Yay!!! and Ack! Goodness, the mixed emotions.....I am so beyond proud of him, and happy for him, and excited, and.....not looking forward to him being gone, at all. Nevermind all the "can we really afford to do this??" and logistics and stuff like that, just....I'd really set in my mind he'd be nearby, so switching over to thinking of him leaving is gonna take a little time. 

I really am beyond proud of him, though; he's worked so.very.hard. to get this. (for those interested, A&M. Engineering Dept, Electrical Engineering). But boy is life going to be different, soon. I don't think I'm as ready for this part as I thought I was.....

• Like 22

....but also, when your child lets you know of your grandchild's wonderful news, the appropriate response is somewhere between a simple "yeah" text back, and posting your own announcement/congratulations on FB (tagging the grandchild/college student) for all the world to see when the family hasn't made it *that* official yet......

....and if you must err to one side or the other, it's definitely favorable to err on the side of being too excited/oversharing vs the under-reaction version. :sigh: 

• Confused 1

Wow.   Kudos to your DS and to the school he transferred out of.  I just wrote this in a WhatsApp message to my DD:   "He was accepted, as a Transfer student, by Texas A&M University, in Electrical Engineering.  IMO transferring in is not easy, and probably much much harder, in Engineering or other STEM Majors."    Awesome for your DS!   Thanksgiving is just around the corner...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lanny said:

Wow.   Kudos to your DS and to the school he transferred out of.  I just wrote this in a WhatsApp message to my DD:   "He was accepted, as a Transfer student, by Texas A&M University, in Electrical Engineering.  IMO transferring in is not easy, and probably much much harder, in Engineering or other STEM Majors."    Awesome for your DS!   Thanksgiving is just around the corner...

Thanks, Lanny! I was hoping you'd see it; it's interesting, because it is definitely HARD to get in there as a transfer but on the other hand, you do get in directly to your major if admitted. Going in as a Freshman you have to apply to your major later on (which is why C chose against it....). 

He is beyond thrilled, and yes, speaks well to the community college he attended and well prepared it makes them. 

Best wishes to M as she waits on her news, too. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

That is wonderful! Is he your last at home? Can't see siggys.

First one to leave; he's been at home doing community college for 2 years post graduation. Next one graduates in May and will head off in August, and then we do have a 13 yr old still at home, so that will be good. Different, but good, once we get used to it. 

I was in the College of Engineering at A&M Lo, these many years ago. (though I'm sure it is much different now) My mom worked there for a while.  It's a great college and university.

My niece is at A&M now (though not in Engineering)

Which community college did he go to?

Edited by vonfirmath

I was exactly in your spot last year at this time.  Oldest had just gone back to CC for Fall semester and went on a college tour in late September and he was SOLD.  He applied, got in, and we waited for scholarship info to come in.

I suggested he wait until the following year, but he was so DONE with CC and wanted to go, so we very quickly got everything together and he went last January.

Enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I was in the College of Engineering at A&M Lo, these many years ago. (though I'm sure it is much different now) My mom worked there for a while.  It's a great college and university.

My niece is at A&M now (though not in Engineering)

Which community college did he go to?

He was at Wharton County Junior College; we've loved it. Both boys did dual enrollment there, and oldest continued after for all of his basics (up through Calc 3, etc...). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I was exactly in your spot last year at this time.  Oldest had just gone back to CC for Fall semester and went on a college tour in late September and he was SOLD.  He applied, got in, and we waited for scholarship info to come in.

I suggested he wait until the following year, but he was so DONE with CC and wanted to go, so we very quickly got everything together and he went last January.

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks! I am sure we'll adapt. He's literally out of things he can take at the CC, so waiting yet another semester would have been a semester of doing nothing. (He was hoping to have gone this past fall, but the Physics course he needed didn't make, twice, so it delayed him a semester.....)

Scholarship info should post first week of December, they say; our bigger concern (not that we don't also need the aid to come through....) is housing. He really needs to be on campus, hopefully, and the dorms fill up like crazy. So, we'll see. 

• Like 1

Congratulations! And I know the mix of emotions. When dd got into her out-of-state dream school I cried. And not happy tears. Tears of....but the other schools are all 1-4 hours away! But fast forward 6 months and life is great. She loves it and I'm finding a life outside of my kids (back to work).

• Like 2