Menu

Dog people, Training help please!

TeenagerMom

We have an almost 6 month old Aussie puppy, who so far has done very well with training.  He does a sit, down, stay, rollover, and seems to finally be learning leave it and no bite.   The issue I can use some guidance with is..........chasing the cat.  Our cat likes to lure the puppy to play with him by sitting and crying, then running.  Of course puppy is a monster compared to the cat (45 lbs vs 8 lbs).  Puppy has started grabbing the cat by the back with his mouth or trying to grab his leg and DH is really worried puppy is going to injure or kill the cat.  I am home for the next several days so would like some solid ideas that I can hit this hard to attempt to break the chasing & practically mauling behavior.  Thanks!  Oh and we have been using treats for training and puppy is VERY food motivated, but has started consistently doing his sit, down, and stay with no treats.

39 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

the puppy does this and the cat STILL lures him?  eventually the cat will get tired of this game.

when you see the car trying to lure the puppy (before the puppy falls for it) - i'd send the cat outside and ruin his "fun".

Yeah, the cat is a butt😂.  He sits in the chair under the dining table and fusses.......or fusses on the other side of the gate, then makes a run for it to jump the baby gate to escape.

He walks around crying when we put the puppy in his crate in the bedroom for the night too.    This is the same cat who has gotten mad at us before for not paying attention to him & peed on the tv stand right in front of the tv while we were watching it.

Ehhh . . the cat is what we refer to as fully loaded? What most people would call . . . not declawed?

If so I'd be much more worried about pup's potential injuries than cat's. A fully loaded adult cat can inflict some very serious injuries on a dog. If they're both enjoying it then IME it's unlikely either will get seriously hurt. Adult cats are very good and very capable of teaching acceptable boundaries to a dog.

I would think differently if you had multiple dogs.

You can work on "leave it" but that's a really high bar (aka a great temptation). You need to work on it with pup on leash so you can enforce it. Every time you say "leave it" and he ignores you it makes it harder to teach successfully. Ideally you want to give him the "leave it" command a second before he reacts. So you have to set the situation up carefully and watch pup like a hawk (and be very fluent in his body language to anticipate his reaction a split second ahead).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Ehhh . . the cat is what we refer to as fully loaded? What most people would call . . . not declawed?

If so I'd be much more worried about pup's potential injuries than cat's. A fully loaded adult cat can inflict some very serious injuries on a dog. If they're both enjoying it then IME it's unlikely either will get seriously hurt. Adult cats are very good and very capable of teaching acceptable boundaries to a dog.

I would think differently if you had multiple dogs.

You can work on "leave it" but that's a really high bar (aka a great temptation). You need to work on it with pup on leash so you can enforce it. Every time you say "leave it" and he ignores you it makes it harder to teach successfully. Ideally you want to give him the "leave it" command a second before he reacts. So you have to set the situation up carefully and watch pup like a hawk (and be very fluent in his body language to anticipate his reaction a split second ahead).

Yes, the cat still has his claws.......and I literally just heard the cat start fussing at the puppy to come play with him.  Puppy does really well if he laying/sitting by me and not going after the cat when he fusses if I tell him no or leave it....

The cat definitely outruns the puppy 99% of the time. DH just freaked last night when he saw puppy grab cat's leg as he was headed over the gate.

• Like 1

Cats are so smart. The one we had growing up was getting super annoyed with the dog. So she went to the front door to be let out. The dog of course followed, then before the screen door slammed shut, the cat snuck back inside. Then she went and sat in the window as if to taunt the dog!

• Haha 2