Menu

Veritas Genetics is having a huge sale

Katy

They usually sequence your entire genome for $999.  For the next 45ish hours they're selling that service for $199.  No connection to the company, I just got the promo email and since we've talked about them here before I thought some of you might be interested.

https://www.veritasgenetics.com/199genome?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=35a2851c78-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_11_15_04_14_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_609af40e19-35a2851c78-172876353

1 hour ago, shawthorne44 said:

Please excuse my ignorance.   What does the mitochondrial DNA get you?   

It's DNA that only comes from your direct maternal line.  And if there's an issue it can directly cause health issues.  Here's information on mitochondrial diseases: https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/mtdna-and-mitochondrial-diseases-903

I researched Dante Labs last night.  They ran a similar sale for $349 a while back.  It took them six months to process all the samples so I wouldn't expect as rapid a service as they claim, but they are reputable and have the same certifications as other top quality labs.

I think I'm going to try this for dh, he has had complex health issues his whole life that doctors never seen able to get to the root of. DNA may or may not be informative but I don't think it can hurt and in his case concerns about impact on life insurance etc. are moot because they already turn him down.

• Like 3

Just now, maize said:

I think I'm going to try this for dh, he has had complex health issues his whole life that doctors never seen able to get to the root of. DNA may or may not be informative but I don't think it can hurt and in his case concerns about impact on life insurance etc. are moot because they already turn him down.

Absolutely! We got major improvements just with the info from the 23andme SNP stuff. Can't imagine how lost you could get in whole exome, lol. But really, definitely, lots of potential there.

Wouldn't explain chimerism, because you'd only be testing one thing. Other than that (assuming chimerism isn't the cause), you might catch it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Is there a difference in the 30X and 130X scanning they're doing? Both are whole exome.

DNA cannot be read reliably with a single scan. The way the process works is that multiple scans are run, with some but not all nucleotides showing up each time. The more scans you do the more accurate the read (if you run a scan 30 times and a particular nucleotide is read for a given position 29 of the thirty you can be quite confident that the read is accurate. If it is only picked up ten times out of thirty there is more uncertainty).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, maize said:

DNA cannot be read reliably with a single scan. The way the process works is that multiple scans are run, with some but not all nucleotides showing up each time. The more scans you do the more accurate the read (if you run a scan 30 times and a particular nucleotide is read for a given position 29 of the thirty you can be quite confident that the read is accurate. If it is only picked up ten times out of thirty there is more uncertainty).

So then is there a radical uptick with 130X?

And I wondered if just overall this is like other things that will come down and stay down over the next few years? It seems like it will be high demand.

Which test do you think is the better test?

I had ordered the veritas test during the promo period and my order failed. I contacted them and they are willing to honor the sale price. But with the mitochondrial DNA on Dante, I am thinking maybe I should do this one instead.  My daughter has a chronic health issue that is partially diagnosed, but has multiple facets that we can't figure out. We hare hoping that he DNA tests may lead us in a direction for more thorough diagnosis and treatment. 

Any opinion between the two?

ETA: fixed missing words

Edited by Tap

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Which test do you think is the better test?

I had ordered the veritas test during the promo period and my order failed. I contacted them and they are willing to honor the sale price. But with the mitochondrial DNA on Dante, I am thinking maybe I should do this one instead.  My daughter has a chronic health issue that diagnosed, but has multiple facets that we can't figure out. We hare hoping that he DNA tests may lead us in a direction for diagnosis and treatment. 

Any opinion between the two?

I'm leaning towards the more information the better, personally.

• Like 1