Menu

I finished Christmas shopping today

HollyDay

Today I ordered dh's gift and I am finished Christmas gift shopping.  I'd like to add a stocking stuffer or 2, especially for dh, but, the gifts are bought.  I started late but finished early. 

Dh and I decided to really scale back Christmas spending this year.  Each year for the past 3 years, we have cut back a little, but this year we cut back even more.  Dc are in college now.  Their needs and wants are different, more practical.  When dc were little, we used Christmas as a time of restocking and resupplying.  Clothes because they were growing so fast.  Toys, books, games because they were changing stages and interests. But now that they are late teens, early 20s, they sizes are more stable, their interests more consistant. 

And college tuition is due...youngest's due just after Thanksgiving and oldest before the first of the year. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I haven't started yet either but I am going very low key this year.  Likely a lot of giftcards or things like headphones, etc.

I have seriously been thinking of sticking cash in stockings for my teen boys, and calling it a day.  

I wish I were joking.  

I guess I should think of something small to add in there.  But I really don't wanna.

I decided to wait until after Thanksgiving to think of Christmas shopping this year.  We're going to go pretty simple.  It just feels like that kind of a year.  The good thing is that my family is pretty easy going and don't mind at all when we have simple, low-key years.  ? 

• Like 1

This thread and the other one of bargains kicked me in the rear and I bought the two main items on dh's list. Now I still need some other, smaller stuff. Let inspiration rain on me...if you have some generic gift idea for husbands / adult sons, can you share?

So far my two oldest boys are getting razors.  Thus far the males all just share the couple that DH owns.  The girls are getting their own hairbrushes that I will write their names one.  Again we just have a community pile we all share but the "good" ones keep walking away and I'm tired of having to search for them in the girls' room.  At some point I might decide on something fun for them but I'm really not feeling it this year so I might just stick with practical gifts for all.

• Like 1

I fear my lack of enthusiasm for TG has carried over to Christmas. I do want trees up and bought 2' trees and lights for the kids' dorm rooms/apartments. I have one little one, OK, OK, I have two little ones up, and we'll put up our large one, but it might only don the star on top and perhaps 2 ornaments. It's pre-lit. 

I have some things tucked away for gifts, and a list of ideas going, but we give so many practical gifts, it's not very exciting. We shop on Black Friday for things that we need, like work boots. Likely all of our shopping will be done online. 

Yay for those of you who are done!

Edited by Angie in VA

Yeah, my husband asked me last night if it was a good time to start our annual list of stuff. We (okay, he) normally start that sometime in October, brainstorming ideas for the kids and anyone else on our list, and then we keep it updated throughout the season, It seems neither of us is really feeling it this year, though. So far, all I've really been able to muster any enthusiasm for is squirreling away stuff to donate and buying some theatre tickets. 

I'm off work today and plan to wander out for some solo shopping. I'm specifically looking for things to enhance our Thanksgiving, which will be even more low-key than usual this year, but I'm hoping that maybe some holiday spirit will seep into my soul while I'm out there.

Edited by Jenny in Florida