Menu

National Mythology Exam 2019

Pegs

Registration is open.

I'm currently running a co-op style class of 6 kids who are preparing for this. They're really enjoying our review games, but I'm running out of questions for them. I don't suppose anyone here might be able to email me a bunch of past papers? I have 2017 and 2018 already. Please PM me if you can help. ?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

Where do the kids take the test?   Do they do it at home or do you have to find a proctor or a test location?
I am going to ask daughter if she'd like to do this, and I know she will ask my question.  

At home, proctored by a parent, is permitted. Some choose to take it in a co-op/school setting.

• Like 1

I just requested from my library a book called A Guide for Using D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths in the Classroom by Cynthia Ross.  I still don't know if we'll register this year.  My son got a gold medal last year on the basic 30 questions.  We might try the 5th grade subtest on Underworld, but not sure if we will. I am expecting a baby in Feb/March.  I seem to remember a few years back seeing a list of the topic schedule from many years back of past tests.  I'd love to try to find that again.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:26 PM, dmmetler said:

if you get the activities packet/study guide, the test questions are straight from it, with the only difference being the format. 

Is it worth it to get the study packet?  My 7th graders took it for the first time last year and one got a gold and one a bronze, but they didn’t use a study packet.  Just read the books.   I wouldn’t mind extra study materials thoug 😃.  If so, should I get the overall packet for $12.50?

(sigh) Our kids can be different from us.    I would have been over the moon to get the chance to do this.  By 3rd grade, I literally read every book on Mythology available in the medium-large city in the public library system, all bookstores, and many of those at the library of the large University.   I stopped with a PhD thesis that discussed things kids shouldn't read, and I wish I could forget.  

DD is completely uninterested, even knowing she could take it at home.  .  

I found the packet worth it, but I had a group to prepare. The packet repeats the same content in a variety of ways, so if you actually did it all, it would be very redundant. But I think I ended up using every activity with some kid over the 4 years I offered the exam. And in some respects, the kids who read everything they can find about mythology are actually at a slight disadvantage because in some cases, they have information that conflicts between versions-and the test is VERY specific to the exact book, version, and even pages. Kids who mostly know Percy Jackson definitely benefit from targeted study.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I found the packet worth it, but I had a group to prepare. The packet repeats the same content in a variety of ways, so if you actually did it all, it would be very redundant. But I think I ended up using every activity with some kid over the 4 years I offered the exam. And in some respects, the kids who read everything they can find about mythology are actually at a slight disadvantage because in some cases, they have information that conflicts between versions-and the test is VERY specific to the exact book, version, and even pages. Kids who mostly know Percy Jackson definitely benefit from targeted study.

Thank you!  I went ahead and got it.  Mine took it for the first time last year as 7th graders.  One received a gold and one (the better test taker -- LOL) got a bronze.  The stakes are high this year for the twin competition in our house -- LOL.  

• 3 months later...

2 gold medals!  Just got an email "Thank you for giving your students the opportunity to participate in the National Mythology Exam. Please refer to the attached memo for information on scoring, the Petrino Award and the ACL Institute.

Medals are currently backordered and expected to ship by the end of May. Every effort will be made to get them to you before schools close for summer.

Your results are attached and the awards will be shipped as soon as possible to the address listed below."

• Like 1

Congratulations to all! It’s always exciting when results come back. I always sent the results to parents, but waited to give out medals until the final party for my club, so parents could let kids who had performed less than they had wanted know in private. I also sometimes gave “special awards” for kids who had just missed a goal or had other special circumstances. (I had one girl who was doing really well at the CML-until her mom went into pre-term labor and she missed taking the last test. She got a special award that year, since she ended up getting a baby sister instead of a National medal 🙂 ). 

@Jackie-my DD’s first year, she decided to do the Iliad subtest, and got Bronze where she would have gotten Gold had she just done the main test (or the main plus specialty). She finally, her last year, took ALL subtests,  got Gold on the whole darned thing, and retired :).  So she’d empathize with your DD :).