Menu

looking for best course for learning Python

AngieW in Texas

It looks like Python is the language that is most often listed as desired for positions in my area.

There are a ton of different Python courses to choose from. Do you have any specific recommendations about which Python course to try? There are several on Udemy.

I would be starting from pretty close to the bottom. I took a couple of programming classes in assembly language and Pascal in college about 30 years ago and have not done any programming since then. 

• Like 1

Old Assembly Language Software Engineer here...   The new languages and tools make everything incredibly easy, for people starting out.   

I would look at Free MOOC courses.  And at the Reviews. As you wrote, there are tons of courses available, free or paid for, and it is better to try to sift through them and get one you like.

Some of those Free Online courses are quite awesome.  I started a MOOC course from UMinnesota last year, about some of the new Software Tools that are supposed to reduce the percentage of Software projects that are complete failures. I withdrew because I had "a fire" I had to fight and didn't want to fail the course...   To my astonishment, the percentage of projects that are total failures is about the same as it was many years ago. But, at least they are trying, with those tools, to get a grasp on things.  

I'm learning python as part of my degree but most of are using some secondary resources. Mostly courses from either Youtube, Udemy or books but there are so many. There are also a few apps. I tried one called Py. I would try a few of the free ones until you find a teacher you get on with. 

• Like 1

I would probably start by going through the CS50 course just to get a basic foundation in CS. You can do it online pretty much everywhere. I think it's probably the most popular MOOC in history at this point.

After that, the "Learn <blank> the Hard Way" books are really good. They have one for Python 3. A lot of the coding apps out there are sort of the equivalent to doing Rosetta Stone for learning a foreign language- it's fun and you'll be able to say a few words in the language when you're done, but there's no way you'll be able to have an actual conversation. You need a much more thorough course if you want to actually code when you're done.

• Like 2

I looked at my Passwords in LastPass.  I have accounts on 2 platforms that offer MOOC courses:

https://www.canvas.net/ and   https://www.coursera.org/

Of the 2, I believe that Canvas has fewer schools and fewer courses. The awesome MOOC course I took from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) was on the Canvas platform.

I believe that Coursera has far more schools and courses and the MOOC course that I began last year from the University of Minnesota was on their platform.

There are other platforms, but I would look first on Coursera to see if you find a course you like. If not, then I would Google for something like "Python+free+MOOC courses" without the quote marks.

• 3 years later...