Menu

S/O Making Thanksgiving Fun

Jenny in Florida

I was reading the thread about making Thanksgiving fun for a large group in a small-ish house, and I figured I'd see if you all can perform your magic on my kind of opposite situation. We'll have only four of us for Thanksgiving: my husband, my son, my son's girlfriend and me. This will be the second year my daughter is not coming, and there has been a fair amount of tension and drama surrounding the family situation within my son's girlfriend's family. It wasn't until this evening that I was told for sure that she would be here with us.

The last week, I have been thinking about the fact that this season marks a full year that my kids have not been on speaking terms, and I'm kind of dreading heading into a second holiday season under these circumstances. However, I am trying to focus on making things nice for whichever grouping is here.

So I'm trying to think of some ways to make Thanksgiving fun and special. Last year, I happened on a set of Thanksgiving-themed Christmas crackers that had little wind-up turkeys in them. Since we always start our Thanksgiving meal by popping crackers, that was kind of perfect. And the four of us (husband, son, son's girlfriend and me) had a ridiculously good time racing our wind-up turkeys. I'd love to find a novel but similar small surprise for this year. I'm open to any other ideas you all might have, though, for making the day cheery without feeling like I'm trying to force anything.

10 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

. I'm open to any other ideas you all might have, though, for making the day cheery without feeling like I'm trying to force anything.

Invite a few people who have nowhere else to go because they have no family in the area or are from another country? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Invite a few people who have nowhere else to go because they have no family in the area or are from another country? 

For a variety of reasons (including the fact that we host a vegetarian/vegan table that most folks wouldn't recognize as "Thanksgiving" and that we have among our family members an extremely anxious dog who doesn't take kindly -- or quietly -- to having strangers around), that's not something we typically do. 

I perhaps should also have mentioned that, between work and school, my energy for taking on anything big is pretty much non-existent. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of buying something silly for the table or getting a new game to play or prepping some of the silly puzzle-type activities that the wait staff do on cruises . . . Something low-stress and fun.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

1 minute ago, Jenny in Florida said:

For a variety of reasons (including the fact that we host a vegetarian/vegan table that most folks wouldn't recognize as "Thanksgiving" and that we have among our family members an extremely anxious dog who doesn't take kindly -- or quietly -- to having strangers around), that's not something we typically do. 

Ok, then that won't work. I get the dog. Btw,  I don't think the nontraditional food would actually be an obstacle; in my experience, people are usually grateful to be invited into friends' homes for a meal and fun company.

• Like 2

Where did you find Thanksgiving crackers?  That sounds fun!

What about getting a game to play after eating?  A new game I played this week and ordered, hoping it comes before T-day, is Code Names.  You divide into two teams and the “board” has 25 words on it.  The caller for each team knows which cards are for their team and they get to give a one word clue to get their team member(s) to pick their words and not the other team’s words.  For example, my code word to my team member was “Olympics” and wanted her to pick Greece, but she picked gold, which was the other team’s word and I didn’t see that possibility before I gave the code word.  Any way, it’s a fun game!

4 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Where did you find Thanksgiving crackers?  That sounds fun!

What about getting a game to play after eating?  A new game I played this week and ordered, hoping it comes before T-day, is Code Names.  You divide into two teams and the “board” has 25 words on it.  The caller for each team knows which cards are for their team and they get to give a one word clue to get their team member(s) to pick their words and not the other team’s words.  For example, my code word to my team member was “Olympics” and wanted her to pick Greece, but she picked gold, which was the other team’s word and I didn’t see that possibility before I gave the code word.  Any way, it’s a fun game!

I think I found the crackers at Cost Plus/World Market. I've already perused their website to see if there's anything fun there, without success. I'm considering hopping out to the store tomorrow, though, just in cast I get inspired.

We play a fair number of board games, so I'm assuming that will be on the agenda for after dinner. I'd love to find something silly and thematically appropriate.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I think I found the crackers at Cost Plus/World Market. I've already perused their website to see if there's anything fun there, without success. I'm considering hopping out to the store tomorrow, though, just in cast I get inspired.

Don’t have either of those stores here.  The windup turkeys sound fun though!