Menu

What gift(s) do YOU want for the holidays?

PeachyDoodle

7 hours ago, SKL said:

How about a whole week of no stress over work, school, house issues, or tween drama?

Well since that ain't gonna happen, how about a trip to Hawaii?  (We do have tickets.)

Did you do an all-inclusive? I’d love to go to Hawaii in the next few months, but I loathe the thought of doing any research! I just want to spend no more than 15 minutes booking a trip AND having it be amazing. ? I usually love the planning part of vacations, but I just don’t have the time or energy this year. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2018 at 6:06 AM, DawnM said:

We no longer exchange gifts with extended family.  Grandparents only give to the kids and now that they are older, just send money.  

I plan to get my wedding ring fixed so that I can wear it again after a couple of years of not wearing it.  And I may buy a new dryer as ours is dying.  

What I plan to ask my family for is a photo shoot (doesn't have to be professional) with at least one picture with all of us in it and then one of each of them posed nicely outdoors.  And then I plan to get large prints made for our hallway.  

We haven't done that in YEARS.  In fact, we haven't had a photo made of all of us together in one shot in years.  It is long overdue.

What a great idea!  I was just thinking that I don't really want anything for Christmas this year...  But this is something I'd ask for!  I think I'd want a professional to do it this time.  Last time, we just took it ourselves and it was only so-so.  Our entire family rarely is together, since someone is always living out of the country.  This Christmas will be a rare opportunity to get everyone together in a family picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

What a great idea!  I was just thinking that I don't really want anything for Christmas this year...  But this is something I'd ask for!  I think I'd want a professional to do it this time.  Last time, we just took it ourselves and it was only so-so.  Our entire family rarely is together, since someone is always living out of the country.  This Christmas will be a rare opportunity to get everyone together in a family picture.

All I really want is a family picture, too.  I have one ds (Aspie) who refuses to be in pics so it never happens and it makes me sad.  My oldest ds has been with his gf for a very long time so I figure eventually there will be a wedding and we'll get family pics then.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 7:15 PM, Quill said:

I want dh to fix my reverse osmosis water filter so I can tell myself I shut one more door whereby cancer might be coming in. (Probably has no basis in reality, but to satisfy my mind...)

I want to replace my Kitchenaid stand mixer, but I doubt that will happen this year. Mine still works but struggles with dough. 

Beyond that, just any of the books or small items on my Amazon list. ?

I just saw this and I remembered you wanted a new KitchenAid mixer.

It’s $219.99 right now for Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus members, and I think that will be the price for everyone on either Thanksgiving or Black Friday. Right now, it looks like it’s $229.99 for non-Elite members, but I’m not sure because I’m only seeing the Elite Plus prices. It’s worth a look, though, to see if it’s the one you want. ?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid-kv25g0xsl-professional-500-series-stand-mixer-silver/4659801.p?skuId=4659801

EDITED TO ADD — It’s also available in other colors for the same price, and almost all of the add-on accessories for it are on sale, as well.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I honestly am having a ton of trouble coming up with a single thing I could put on a list that is even slightly realistic.

For the second year in a row, I would love to have the rear bumper on my car repaired. It's not a fancy car, just a little Chevy Spark I bought used, but I love it. And when it mysteriously acquired some small dents and flakes in the paint while I was out of town last October, it made me really sad. I looked into getting it repaired, but there are enough other things that really need to be done that $400 in something completely cosmetic keeps dropping to the bottom of the list.

I would dearly love to take a nice vacation, but there are any number of things that make that challenging. 

The very last thing I need is any of the little, token stuff that people always give to the person who doesn't need or want anything (socks, candles, fancy soaps . . .)

If asked -- which I haven't been -- I would remind my family that my favorite gifts are always donations to charities.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:55 AM, Violet Crown said:

A new refrigerator, which doesn't drip rusty viscous liquid and freeze half the food. 

Similar here. Mine works but is way too small. The refrigerator part is less than 18" wide.We're renting, and frankly I would have preferred just a regular freezer-on-top refrigerator. The space for it is small (older house).

I bought a dorm-sized unit that fits in the laundry room for extra milk and yogurt, but the whole refrigerator situation is a source of ongoing frustration.

My kids asked me what I want for Christmas, and I can't think of anything right now.

I won’t get it but what I’d love is time. Time to just enjoy myself and do fun to me things. I spend so much time caring for kids, making sure they all have fun, and tending to my responsibilities that fun for mom hardly ever occurs. I’d love to have a whole day to just see and draw and paint and read without having to care for anyone else’s needs.

• Like 2

I don't *need* anything. I have a short list of small things that DH can take the boys to buy for me (a new comb, new pens, etc).

I would like a treadmill, but I don't have place to put one. I would also feel guilty spending that kind of money when there is so much that needs work in the house.

I would *love* a get-away with my DH but I can't imagine asking my mother to watch the kids for 24-48 hours; over only ever asked that when in the hospital giving birth.

Mostly little things:

-Two hurricane glasses for mixed drinks

-A new coffee warmer to put by my computer since mine broke (most important thing!)

-A new screen for my iPad mini since mine is cracked

-A mini-flashlight/lantern for when the power goes out

-maybe some small denomination ($5 & $10) gift cards

Finally, I've suggested to my DH that he shop in our local PawsForever consignment store and see if he can find something fun there for a few bucks.  We are pretty broke this year, and we always find fun things for pennies at this consignment store. 

• Like 1

Anyone wanna help me coming up with ideas. I'm trying to do experiences, none food consumables, and things I absolutely need. This is for my fill and mil, they are separated so I need two lists.

So far I have. Tickets to a comedian I like, gc to movies, gc to restaurant we do trivia at weekly, a purse, bourbon, and house slippers. 

Both mil and fil get me multiple items and I can't quite figure out their price range. My guess is around $150 from each of them. They will get me exactly what I ask for but like a longer list to pick from so there is some form of surprise

6 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Anyone wanna help me coming up with ideas. I'm trying to do experiences, none food consumables, and things I absolutely need. This is for my fill and mil, they are separated so I need two lists.

So far I have. Tickets to a comedian I like, gc to movies, gc to restaurant we do trivia at weekly, a purse, bourbon, and house slippers. 

Both mil and fil get me multiple items and I can't quite figure out their price range. My guess is around $150 from each of them. They will get me exactly what I ask for but like a longer list to pick from so there is some form of surprise

Anything for the kitchen you need or that would help you be more efficient?

Shirts, hoodies, or leggings you have been eyeing?

Hat or gloves?

pillow?

games?

10 hours ago, school17777 said:

Anything for the kitchen you need or that would help you be more efficient?

Shirts, hoodies, or leggings you have been eyeing?

Hat or gloves?

pillow?

games?

Aside from games, I don't need/want anything on that list.  And even games is problematic, since it is just adding more things I'll need to pack up in the Spring.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  I think I'll look and see what new games are available

On 11/22/2018 at 12:28 AM, hjffkj said:

Fancy soaps, body wash, haircare products, cosmetics, hand or body lotions?  

Edited by Kassia

On 11/16/2018 at 5:28 PM, Katy said:

I most want DH to take a day and fix all the honey-do things that are on my list because he "organized" my tools into his so I can't get any of it done myself because I can't find anything in that giant mess of a garage of his.

On second thought, a set of pink tools in a pink toolbox with a pink step stool and a pink drill would be great. It would never get taken out of the laundry room and I would always be able to finish my projects myself.  Oh, and PINK scissors with a padlock through the handle to keep kids from stealing them.

This made me laugh. I learned the pink trick from a seasoned Boy Scout mom who was very active in Scouts at the time. All of ER personal camping items were pink. If they ever got borrowed, they were always returned quickly.

i have since bought myself a pink stapler and scissors for my desk, and they never seem to go missing like the black ones did.

i have my eye on an Rtic brand cooler. They are on sale to day, and it comes in pink!

• Like 2

Verizon is offering $400 off the iPhone X. I’m really tempted to get one—my 6 plus is scratched up and the camera doesn’t work because I dropped it in a creek.

Should I buy last year’s model at discount now or stick to my original plan of waiting until next year to upgrade? Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I decided I want a Kavu rope sling.  They aren't that expensive so that should be possible.

If I was shooting for the moon:

new floors in my entire house, a new dishwasher, a 3-season room off the back with a new deck.

I've got a kavu bag and really love it.  Comfy to carry and also interesting looking.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, Noreen Claire said:

I would like a treadmill, but I don't have place to put one. I would also feel guilty spending that kind of money when there is so much that needs work in the house.

I use a Cubii Jr., an under desk elliptical, while sitting at my desk. It’s small, smooth, quiet and not electric. Multiple resistance settings. Can walk backwards or forwards working different muscles. It’s about $200 at QVC right now.

A small study about exercising at desks.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181108130511.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On November 22, 2018 at 12:28 AM, hjffkj said:

Have you thought about online classes? ClickinMoms has terrific classes that would be in that range. Also a subscription to online cooking stuff. Cook's Country has a site, and there's another place someone had mentioned that has lessons and classes you work through.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:28 PM, hjffkj said:

Are you still going on your trip?  Maybe something fun to do there. 

On 11/19/2018 at 12:52 PM, Noreen Claire said:

I would *love* a get-away with my DH but I can't imagine asking my mother to watch the kids for 24-48 hours; over only ever asked that when in the hospital giving birth.

Well, I did some thinking and bought myself a rowing machine (very good deal online!) that folds up to save space. Dropping my gym membership will pay for it. 🤣 Merry Christmas to me!

• Like 1

I want a new computer.

I want a week alone at home. With a 7-day deadline looming, I am sure I can get the house perfectly clean and organized, which has been my goal for over a decade.

I want a handyman. an electrician, a painter, Got Junk to come and get it, and a plumber to fix all the little things that need fixing (little in scope -- much of which I cannot do myself).

If I don't get those things, I want an Amazon gift card.

• Like 1

I already bought a sous vide but that wasn't Christmas...just for cooking fun.

What I really want is new carpeting. I am changing jobs in January and will get a fairly large payout from my old employer for unused vacation. That should be enough to do the two rooms downstairs and then I will start saving to redo the laminate and vinyl in the entry/bath/kitchen as well. 

Dh has agreed to put our Christmas money towards the project, so that will speed up the project.  YAY!!!!

I really want a pair of these so that I can listen to audiobooks comfortably in bed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046H8ZFU/?coliid=IL3WP6U1LTTQZ&colid=3GSA56G560U2X&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I also would love this:

https://www.teaforte.com/store/tea-gifts/solstice-gift-set/with-gift-box/

I wouldn't say no to a newer fitbit, either a smart watch or one with a heart monitor. A few cases of Nutpods would be wonderful also.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 6:58 AM, BeachGal said:

I use a Cubii Jr., an under desk elliptical, while sitting at my desk. It’s small, smooth, quiet and not electric. Multiple resistance settings. Can walk backwards or forwards working different muscles. It’s about $200 at QVC right now.

A small study about exercising at desks.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181108130511.htm

Might you have a link to this?  It sounds like it should be on my list.

1 minute ago, wendyroo said:

I'm asking for a big ticket item: a big box of straight pins.  🤣  My kids love crafting with them and playing with them on the magnetic pin cushion, to the point that many of them no longer live up to their name.

Wendy

If you specify the quilting kind, you might be glad later—they are much longer and a bit heavier than the standard ones.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:16 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Might you have a link to this?  It sounds like it should be on my list.

Here you go.

https://www.qvc.com/Cubii-Jr-Compact-Under-Desk-Elliptical-with-Display-Monitor.product.F12711.html

So far I really like it. It's just part of sitting at my computer now. Very easy to do but I can feel my legs getting a workout, too.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, dsmith said:

I really want a pair of these so that I can listen to audiobooks comfortably in bed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046H8ZFU/?coliid=IL3WP6U1LTTQZ&colid=3GSA56G560U2X&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have the CozyPhones version of these. They're great. Very comfy on the ears when lying down.

https://www.amazon.com/CozyPhones-Headphones-Speakers-Meditation-Relaxation/dp/B014T3QLBA/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1543426691&sr=1-5&keywords=cozyphones

• Like 1