Menu

Cheap activity trackers?

Slache

The kids have been asking for fitness trackers like Mom and Dad have. I have the Fitbit and I love the idea of the Fitbit Ace, but it's $100 and I have 3 kids ages 2, 5 and 8. Is there a good off-brand that will track sleep and activity that we can get for fun?

My requests are:

• Step tracking
  • Sleep tracking
  • Waterproof
  • Not too easily broken
  • Fun colors

Thanks.

I got my daughter this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W2S48Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She loves it. It was cheap, but seems to be pretty durable and works well. She doesn’t wear it at night, so I’m not sure how it is at sleep tracking but I think it is supposed to do that. It doesn’t have a battery, which I like, so she she takes it off and plugs it in every night. I don’t think you have to do that, it’s just her routine. It’s not waterproof but is water resistant, she’s worn it accidentally in the shower and it was fine. It has an app you can use, we put the app on my phone and she likes to see her steps overtime. You don’t have to use the app, but it was fun for her that it was available. 

The Unicef Kid Power band sold at Target. I don't know if it does sleep tracking or not. The band comes with missions that give a donation to UNICEF, and you can buy more in the app store.

The Striiv tracker (several versions) does what you want, and lets your steps count for unlocking a world in their app and building buildings/planting plants to attract animals. It comes with three bands. The Walgreens store brand is the same tracker. The band might be too big for a small child, though-I can only go one hole smaller on me, as a fairly small woman.

DD has a Misfit Flash, but it doesn't actually show your steps on screen, only on the app. She likes it because she can clip it on her shorts for cheer practice and get credit for her steps in Pokemon Go. It's supposed to be waterproof.

In general, any tracker you have to plug in to recharge won't be waterproof-the ones with batteries are more likely to be.

Edited by Dmmetler2