Menu

The whole thing was a scam

zimom

I don't know if I'm more upset the couple tried to take the money raised or the fact they are now saying all three were in it together from the start and it was one big scam.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/homeless-man-n-j-couple-concocted-story-gofundme-fundraiser-complaint-n936511

Homeless man and N.J. couple concocted story for GoFundMe fundraiser

Sadly, this kind of nonsense is why I do not donate to any issue I don’t know about directly. 

I did hear about it when it was “just” the couple tried to not give him money. Now it was a deal from the start. SMH. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

That’s where I’m confused too. Was he really homeless? Did they approach him before? Or did it naturally manifest somehow? 

Because if he is really homeless and it was all a scam I can really give him a lot of leeway here.  Is what he did right? of course not.  But I can't blame someone in a situation like that when two people living comfortably egg him on.  Now if he isn't homeless then he should be punished the same as them

6 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

That’s where I’m confused too. Was he really homeless? Did they approach him before? Or did it naturally manifest somehow? 

No one knows yet.  When the couple got prosecuted, they claimed he was in on it. He hasn't yet turned himself in.

49 minutes ago, Quill said:

Sadly, this kind of nonsense is why I do not donate to any issue I don’t know about directly. 

I did hear about it when it was “just” the couple tried to not give him money. Now it was a deal from the start. SMH. 

Yep me too.  On my neighborhood FB page they really push a 'food pantry' that is set up at the Fire Department.  People donate stuff and anyone can take from it.  It is regularly cleaned out.  I can't help but imagine that some crack head is taking it all and selling it for enough for a high.  But it makes other people feel warm and cozy to keep donating.  So I keep my negativity to myself because maybe there is a single mom who is supplementing her kids food from this pantry....meanwhile I only give to people I know personally.  Not too difficult since I don't have that much to give...LOL  I guess if I was a rich donor I might have to trust some of these organizations, I don't know.

• Like 1

The morning news had a video clip of the prosecuting attorney stating they have text messages not only proving it's a scam, but a scam they planned on elaborating on in the future.  And there was a good chance they would have gotten away with it if they hadn't started fighting about the money

• Like 1