Menu

Q about starting AOPS Geometry mid-way through AOPS Algebra

I don't know the answer. I thought I saw someone post on here to finish Algebra before starting Geometry. So I am currently making my DS finish Algebra first, even though we have the geometry book sitting on the shelf. He is fine with it mostly. I told him it's like you're in Algebra 2 now. 

• Like 1

I know that’s not what you are asking, but I would finish the algebra book first, then go to geometry and devote one day to algebra alcumus for review purposes.

Maybe it’s just my kids, but we found alternating books hard to do. There seemed to be lack of continuity from day to day and it really through them off, but 4 day Geo and 1 day alcumus Algebra worked here.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I know that’s not what you are asking, but I would finish the algebra book first, then go to geometry and devote one day to algebra alcumus for review purposes.

Maybe it’s just my kids, but we found alternating books hard to do. There seemed to be lack of continuity from day to day and it really through them off, but 4 day Geo and 1 day alcumus Algebra worked here.

In an ideal world, I would like to finish the Algebra book first.  But my kids have to do mandatory testing, and the math here is integrated alg/geo.  I'm not sure what my plan is.  I was thinking alternating chapters, or possibly a 3-2 split over the course of the week.  I've even considered simply doubling our math time, though split up over the day.  Alg in the AM, geo in the PM.  But that's probably insane.  ?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

In an ideal world, I would like to finish the Algebra book first.  But my kids have to do mandatory testing, and the math here is integrated alg/geo.  I'm not sure what my plan is.  I was thinking alternating chapters, or possibly a 3-2 split over the course of the week.  I've even considered simply doubling our math time, though split up over the day.  Alg in the AM, geo in the PM.  But that's probably insane.  ?  

Got it!

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Could you possibly just complete a simple geo program at this point and then devote a yr to AoPS's geometry?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Could you possibly just complete a simple geo program at this point and then devote a yr to AoPS's geometry?

This is what I've been doing up to this point, and what I'll be doing for the spring exam.  Then we have 2 years until the next exam, so I guess we'll definitely be getting both books done in that time...  Hmmm...