Menu

Ambassador Leadership Summit

My 13yo dgd, 8th grade in PS, was nominated by a teacher to attend a 2019 Ambassador Leadership Summit.  The summit "helps promising students develop leadership skills, build confidence, and prepare for the opportunities and responsibilities ahead".  She will join outstanding students from as many as 140 countries to:

• experience college life at a top university like Harvard, Yale, John Hopkins, or UCLA.
  • gain a competitive edge for college and career - more than 80% of their participants were accepted into their college of choice
  • meet the change-makers and learn from industry experts while exploring medical careers at outr specialized Medicine and Health Care Summit
  • develop new friendships and fresh perspectives with motivated students form around the world

She would like to attend the summit at Harvard - the week-long summit costs $3,195.  They would like her to register by Dec 17th because space is limited.  Here is a link to the itinerary.

Has anyone heard of this program?

My son got an invitation to apply and have a teacher recommend him, with all of the materials advertising it.  I'm sorry to say, but I see it as a bit of a scam..

First of all, they sent an advertisement, asking the student to have the teacher recommend them.  By this method, just about any decent honest student could get in.  

Secondly, it is basically a very high priced summer camp that touts "leadership qualities..."  There is absolutely nothing wrong with a summer camp, but you need to know that this is essentially a summer camp.  

I would imagine that most college admissions officers from elite colleges know the name of this place and aren't super impressed by it being on the resume of your child.  

Also many summer camps, are now renting space from elite universities as a way of encouraging people to sign up.  Over here, IDTech rents space from Stanford.  My son went, and it was super fun to be on Stanford's campus for a week!  The campus is beautiful and it's very inspiring to dream of going there.  BUT  we knew it was a summer camp. ? Not anything actually affiliated with Stanford, and neither is this conference.

So, if your dd is super excited about it and you have the money by all means go for it.  It seems like they take good care of the kids and the campuses are great.  BUT just keep in mind, it's just a summer camp that focuses on leadership qualities.  Your dd may find some neat friends there and is likely to meet a lot of driven kids who are interested in leadership and want more on their resume.....but be aware- Spend your money accordingly. ?

Always be wary of "register now, space is limited..." it sounds just like an InfoMercial.  "Buy now, supply is limited."  But do you really need the electric toilet plunger?  

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

Hmmmm...that is a REALLY high price tag for a program with such 50,000 foot goals. Personally, we would never have paid that type of money for a "leadership" program. Another idea is to have her look into the myriad of Startalk foreign language summer programs. Many of them are completely funded, or if there is a cost, it is minimal. That experience provides the same types of benefits and kids come away having acquired new language skills, and maybe a new language passion to pursue. In most cases, you do not need any background in the foreign language to apply.

We have quite a bit of experience with Startalk, and it was amazing! DS was invited back in a subsequent year to be a peer tutor as well. Both kids got a lot of benefits, including leadership and contacts, from the programs, at minimal cost to us.

Just another idea!

• Like 1