Menu

Pick up truck Tires question

Pen

If one tire (passenger side front) is significantly worn and other 3 are not, would you:

-Replace the worn tire with the spare tire

-Replace the worn tire with a newly purchased tire

- Replace both front tires with new tires

- Replace all four tires

- Other.  Please specify.

• Like 1

It would depend on whether the truck were front wheel drive, all wheel drive (or, if there is still such a thing, rear wheel drive)

Assuming that it's front wheel drive, I would replace both front tires.  If both front tires are the same age, I'd have the truck aligned to fix whatever caused that one tire to wear so badly (otherwise, the new tire will also wear badly).  I'd also check to see if the tire is under warranty.  Then, I'd compare the "good" front tire to the spare, and keep whichever is better as the spare (this is assuming it's a full-sized spare, and not a "donut" spare).  

If you go to a reputable tire store, they will do all this as a matter of course.

• Like 2

In the OP, Option #5 is "- Other.  Please specify"

That is the ONLY path to take. BEFORE thinking about whether to buy one tire or two tires, a Mechanic who specializes in Front End/Suspension problems must figure out what is causing that tire to wear out and fix that issue. 

AFTER that Mechanical work has been done, I would then suggest replacing both of the tires on the Front. For your Spare Tire, use the best one you have. Either your current Spare or the one that was on the Left Front.

DO NOT buy new tires until after the Mechanical work has been completed or you will ruin another tire.

• Like 2

The spare is I believe an original perfect tire.

It doesn’t match the other tires which were changed out all 4 together some time back. Not sure when. Checking into their own warranties. 

The tire that is in difficulty may be due to alignment or perhaps due to curb rubbing such as on hill parking with it turned into curb to prevent rolling. That’s being checked now. They are also looking at ball joint possible issues.